It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Caribbean Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice for a newborn kitten rescued on Friday!

Hi,

Last Friday I rescued a newborn kitten (no eyes, no ears) and I started to feed her using a homemade formula the vet recommended: 8 oz evaporated milk, 1 tsp maple syrup, 1 yolk, 4 oz water.

Everything went good, I have a lot of experience as a dog breeder, so my kitten were happy, growing and purred every time I fed her.

Yesterday morning I added to my formula 2 drops of multivitamin syrup for children and I noticed she stopped pooing. I added 2 drops of corn oil to formula, but the kitten became more and more bloated, very agitated and cried a lot.
She also stopped eating that good and this morning I found her cold and wet, almost inert, sleeping into a big peepee pool.
I reheated the kitten and I went to the vet, who said my kitten was very constipated and sent me home with few sachets of Dioralyte because she was also a little bit dehydrated.
All the morning I gave her only Dioralyte and warm water and finally she pooed two times.

Because I saw everything was under control, I started to mix Dioralyte with my formula, but I also added a little bit of Pro Biolac powder that I bought today.

But now, at the last meal, she became very agitated, I could barely hold her because she was twisting all the time and she cried a lot. She hardly felt asleep and I don't know what to do. What could be the reason why she's so agitated, though she ate quite good?

And why she keeps peeing on herself, although she is only few days old? Is it normal?

She seems not to like Pro Biolac at all and this is another question. What should I do, just switch on Pro Biolac and force her to eat it or gradually introduce the new formula?
Could Pro Biolac produce stomach ache?

Please I need some fast advices, I haven't sleep last two nights and I feel like going nuts!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-10-2010   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

I would either go back to your original formula since everything went wrong after you tweeked it, take her back to the vet or get an actual kitten formula.
Unread 08-10-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Well, I just said I bought Pro Biolac powder, which is a milk replacer for kittens. The problem is my kitten seems to refuse it.
I also read about milk replacer that has as side effect constipation and this is exactly what we don't need.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-10-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I would take Kitty back to the vet asap and tell him or her exactly what you told us. It could be serious and you don't want to wait. Good luck and keep us posted. Sorry I didn't have any other ideas, maybe someone will read this post and can help???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 08-10-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, meantime I learned my kitty was hungry, because the vet told me to add more water in the milk! I did it and the poor kitten was starving. I persuaded her to eat the kitten formula, so I hope for the best.
Please, keep the fingers crossed not to constipate again, during last meals she had no poo, but she received only the "watery milk".
What about Pro Biolac, did anybody tried it?
Unread 08-10-2010   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

I will keep kitty in my prayers then *hugs*
Unread 08-10-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, Val!

Tags
advice , bloated , breeder , children , cold , constipation , dog , eating , eyes , fast , found , happy , kitten , kittens , kitty , morning , newborn , peeing , prayers , problem , question , sleeping , vet , water , watery

Sponsored Cat Links