It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

MommyOfOnyx is on a distinguished road
Exclamation what should i do next?

i want to start by saying i am a newer cat owner my baby onyx is my first cat since i was like 5. i recently been switching his diet over from dry food to wet food as my vet said i should do. i been trying to do it slowly but i think i been doing it to fast. 2 days ago onyx started to have diarrhea well i dont really know if thats the right word for it since he doesent go often but the stool is VERY runny and soft. he is eat and drinking water normally. i called my vet early yesterday morning to see what i should do about the loose stool i told her about how im changeing him over from dry to wet and she agreed that i might be doing it to fast which is whats causeing his stomach problems. my vet said if he still had loose stool today to withhold food till around 7pm then to feed him some cooked white rice mixed with some boild chicken for a few days until the diarrhea stopped. i followed her advice and fed onyx that around 8pm about 30mins after eating it he vomited then he vomited twice more about 15mins apart it has been a good 2 hours since he last vomited but i dont know what to do now. should i simply with hold food till my vet office opens call her and let her know that he vomits rice and chicken but eats his wet/dry food fine? or should i just not worry about the diarrhea and just continue to switch him over but try to do so more slowly so his stomach gets use to the wet food i am trying to switch him to? as of right now he is curled up on the floor sleeping. any help i would be greatful for.

thanks,
mommyofonyx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-12-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The best way to handle a food change is to give a probiotic during the transition, and for a week after the change is complete.

A probiotic is healthy bacteria in the gut that keeps things running properly. There are several animal probiotics to choose from. I use Probios. Benebac is equally inexpensive. They both come in a gel form. The probios is labeled for large animal use, but you just use a pea sized dot at a time. The benebac is labeled for small animal use.

Chicken and rice does not usually cause vomiting, but if your kitty ate too much of it too fast, it could be the culprit.

I see it's been five hours since you posted, how is he now? Any more vomiting? If not, I'd go back to his regular food, continue with the transition, but add the probiotic daily.

What food were you feeding and what are you transitioning to?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-12-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

he is doing a lot better now i got up at 6am this morining after almost no sleep so i can call the vet office. he hasent vomited since last time i posted and he jumped on my bed and started licking my face and purring when i went back to lay down lol so he is doing much better i am still takeing him to the vet a little later today just for another check up to make sure noting is wrong with him it worried the vet slightly that he couldent eat the rice and chicken but then again he hadent ate for hours before i fed him that and he might of just ate it way to fast we will see i guess.

i am changeing him from what his last owners were feeding him which was meow mix indoor to wellness wet food my vet had said that meow mix is almost the worst food you can feed a cat lol

thanks for the advice,
mommyof onyx
Unread 08-12-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Ohhh...yes, getting him off that meow mix is a good thing, but I can see why the wellness would cause some diarrhea, Onyx not being used to such a rich healthy food. My Jennie eats Wellness grain free canned chicken and she is doing great on it.

I think you are wise to get him back to the vet this morning.

Welcome to the forum by the way, and please keep us updated on Onyx!
Unread 08-12-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

we just got back from the vets and he is doing a lot better he waspurring the whole time at the vets. my vet said event though i want to get him off teh meow mix i will need to do it a lot slower than i was since i am switching from a brand that is LOADED with grains and corn to a brand that isent just wet food but one of the better brands of food. she surrgested i give him meow mix again until he has normal stool then start switching him over again but a lot slower than i was beacuse he is so young also (about 4 months) his stomach may take longer to adjust that a normal healthy adult cat but i am very happy he isent ill.
Unread 08-12-2010   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad that your Onyx is doing well now! How old is he? Post pics when he's feeling all better
Unread 08-12-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

he is right around 4 months when i got him owners said he was around 10 weeks but he was almost as big as his mom lol and at least 2 times the size of the other two kittens that were waiting to be picked up. he is a big boy lol but a sweetheart only had issues with the kitten biteing and scratching for maybe 2 days which isent bad from what i hear from people who have kittens lol. i have a lot of pics of him already and ill post some
Unread 08-13-2010   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

Yeah two days isn't bad at all! My kittens learned not to scratch and bite me (at least not hard) but they still scratch furniture and chew on cords. Ugh! Hard to break that..
Unread 08-13-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_Kitten View Post
Yeah two days isn't bad at all! My kittens learned not to scratch and bite me (at least not hard) but they still scratch furniture and chew on cords. Ugh! Hard to break that..
Val you can train your kittens to use their own furniture instead of yours to scratch, what kind of scratchers do you have for them? Also, the cord chewing can end in tragedy, so you really do need to cover the cords with something to stop them from this.

I saw a kitten die of electrocution from chewing a cord when I was working in a pet clinic. I'll never get it out of my head.

You can get some inexpensive tubing to cover the cords, or use those foam pipe insulation covers even.

PS did you see my reply about your comment that they smell funny in another thread? I said it's not normal for kittens to smell funny, they may be carrying some parasites, and asked what you were feeding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyOfOnyx View Post
we just got back from the vets and he is doing a lot better he waspurring the whole time at the vets. my vet said event though i want to get him off teh meow mix i will need to do it a lot slower than i was since i am switching from a brand that is LOADED with grains and corn to a brand that isent just wet food but one of the better brands of food. she surrgested i give him meow mix again until he has normal stool then start switching him over again but a lot slower than i was beacuse he is so young also (about 4 months) his stomach may take longer to adjust that a normal healthy adult cat but i am very happy he isent ill.
Thanks for the update! I'm glad Onyx isn't ill. That's good advice from the vet, but even transitioning slowly, giving a probiotic when switching is really a good thing to do and will help Onyx's body adjust.
Unread 08-13-2010   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have one door hanging scratcher, but they can't reach it so I layed it down on the floor and they use it all the time, but they still prefer my bed I think. The other one is just your average cheap square with the pole sticking up a couple of feet. With the door hanger, the material is more like hotel carpet, so they can really hook their claws into it but the post has no way for the cat to hook its claws in, so they just play on it, but no scratching.

And as for the cord chewing, I would never leave my kittens unsupervised in a room with cords. They're only allowed in my bedroom and the only cords I have are my phone charger and laptop cords and those can easily be removed from the room when I leave

Oh and I gave them a bath (no shampoo tho. I need to get some) and they smell better. I'm feeding them Blue Buffalo. I hope they don't have parasites!

Hey, how's Onyx doing today?

Last edited by Val_Kitten; 08-13-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Tags
adult , advice , animal , art , baby , bite , boy , carpet , cat , crazy , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fast , food , free , fur , furniture , great , happy , healthy , hey , huge cat , indoor , kitten , kittens , kitty , licking , meow , morning , play , problems , scratch , scratching , sleep , sleeping , small , smart , transition , vet , vomiting , water , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links