It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-28-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Minniesmommy is on a distinguished road
Default Sores on her neck? :[

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some light on what is happening to my cat. She's about 3 years old, and I've never had problems with her before this. We just moved to a new house about 4 months ago.. I have 2 other cats that are fine.. no problems.. all indoor cats, but Itty is loosing her at the base of her tail and her hind legs as well as her tummy. She's also developing sores around her neck.. she doesn't wear a collar so I dont know what it could be. I don't know of any reputable vets in my area and by no means do I have a lot of money to spend for a vet to diagnose my baby wrong or do all sorts of unneeded tests for my money. I'm hoping to talk to the cat adoption ladies in my area tomorrow for a recommendation.. but was hoping someone here has had the same problem. I read a lot that it could be a food allergy and I've always fed them meow mix because they liked it. Today I bought a sample of food with no by product or corn and I'm going to try that out. I also bathed her tonight with a shampoo for her skin/coat. She seems to be a naturally nervous cat, but is fine when its bed time or when she's getting love.

I've attached a picture we took after I bathed her. Thanks for the responses in advance, I hope someone can give me some advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itty.jpg (97.7 KB, 4 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-28-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum. Those sores could be any number of things, your kitty needs to see the vet.

They could be a food allergy, or a flea allergy (there may have been fleas or flea eggs left from a previous tenant). Do NOT buy over the counter flea products, the only safe ones are Frontline and Frontline plus and Advantage and Advantage Multi and Revolution.

She could be allergic to something else in the new place, also. I recommend you thoroughly clean your entire home with vinegar and water solution to remove all traces of other soaps and cleaners.

Meow mix, not to be inhospitable, is a terrible food and you should get all your cats on something better. Do the change gradually though, so they don't get upset tummies and diarrhea.

Skin problems are often difficult to diagnose, but cats do form allergies to food they have eaten fine before. My first guess is fleas, though.

keep us posted.

PS another thought...have you changed litter brands recently, or any other changes, such as laundry detergent, or household cleaner, those also could be culprits
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-28-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Minniesmommy is on a distinguished road

thank you for your input. I really don't think that it's fleas.. no one lived in the house years before we moved in.. and I bathed her last night and there weren't any fleas on her that I saw.. or in the water.

No changed in their litter, or food.. nothing new around the house.

I'm going to change the food, and if that doesn't help I'm definitely taking her to the vet.

How is Natural Balance pet food?

Tags
adoption , advice , age , allergic , allergies , allergy , baby , cat , cats , changed , clean , collar , diarrhea , fleas , food , frontline , hey , home , house , indoor , kitty , love , meow , money , nervous , night , pet , pet food , picture , problems , upset

Sponsored Cat Links