It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

stormalexis is on a distinguished road
Default Kitty litter (clump or non-clump?)

So Im going to be adopting a kitty soon and I read that the kitten should have non-clumping litter so that they won't ingest it .. but someone else suggested for another person to use clumping litter for their kitten. I thought maybe it would be okay to use clumping litter when the kitten reached about a year old? I don't know .. Then I read somewhere else that some clumping litters aren't safe? I'm not sure what Im going to use! I just want to make sure that the litter is safe for the kitten. Which brand would be best?

Last edited by stormalexis; 09-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-14-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

toddmdl is on a distinguished road

I use feline pine litter. It's sawdust that clumps and my cat doesn't eat it but it does stick to his paws and it drives me crazy. I'm wanting to switch litters because it tracks but I don't really have any experience with non-clumping litter so I can't tell you whether it's better or not. I'm trying to find a decent quality litter myself.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-14-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

yeah. also I think I read some clumping litters spread up dust when the kitty digs in it, and it can be inhaled and cause problems in the long-term :S
Unread 09-28-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

lokipoki is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Ive used almost every litter out there i swear. Im very picky about how my kitties smell, and litter is a big part of that.

At first i was using "worlds best cat litter" which is made with corn. They didnt injest it, and it clumped like a charm. However, when the litter started to get a little old it was totally toxic.

Wheat was a total no go. Smelt horrible and clumped badly. Cats also didnt like it.

I dont use clay because its not good for you or the cat! Its very dusty and bad to breathe.

Pine is the way to go! Clumps great, smells great, not dusty and lasts a good long while.
Unread 09-28-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Default woot woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokipoki View Post
Hey,

Ive used almost every litter out there i swear. Im very picky about how my kitties smell, and litter is a big part of that.

At first i was using "worlds best cat litter" which is made with corn. They didnt injest it, and it clumped like a charm. However, when the litter started to get a little old it was totally toxic.

Wheat was a total no go. Smelt horrible and clumped badly. Cats also didnt like it.

I dont use clay because its not good for you or the cat! Its very dusty and bad to breathe.

Pine is the way to go! Clumps great, smells great, not dusty and lasts a good long while.

Yeah I was wondering about Wolds best cat litter. Someone also said it really didn't smell too good. If pine is the way to go, then I'm following! lol A relief that I can pick a good quality litter! [dances] Is it okay for small kittens? with the whole clumping and non clumping thing, since they might eat it?
Unread 09-28-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I have always used non clumping fragrance free clay litter. But the scooping is getting to be very hard on me, and the boxes just seem to start to smell after a few months (the plastic of the boxes I mean), even though I dump and scrub weekly.

I will not use clumping clay litter, in my opinion it's toxic. I will not use worlds best or corn litter, because I've read too much about bugs in the litter (not to mention dust) and ditto with wheat litter. I have read that pine litter is messy and breaks down, ditto yesterdays news litter.

I am switching over to safflower seed. I started with one of these: SMART CAT BOX.com - SMART CAT BOX.

The safflower seed is non absorbent and the pee drains through into a receptacle underneath. It works well. My cats are not completely transitioned yet, but they are using it along with their regular clay boxes.

but before I purchase any more I decided to try to rig up something alone the same premise, on my own.

I am, as we speak, drilling holes in a plastic storage box. This box will fit into a matching box, and there is about a one inch space between the two boxes. The pee will drain through the safflower seed into the bottom box. I wil continue to soak and scrub weekly like I already do.

No dust, no scooping, nothing toxic. The poop of course has to be scooped out and disposed of, but the pee can be poured right down the toilet, I figure once a day, then wipe out the bottom box.

The safflower seed is washable. I'm not sure for how long yet, but the one box I've got set up has been used for two weeks now, and I have not yet washed the safflower seed (I wash the reservoir daily) and there is NO SMELL in the seed.

I plan to rinse the seed this weekend to see how it holds up.

I hope to set up my own version of this tomorrow.

I will be sure to report back, but will start my own thread on it.

Last edited by acerlt; 09-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Unread 09-29-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

lokipoki is on a distinguished road

My kittens have never had a problem with any of the litters they were given. They have also never tried to eat it. I do know that pine and corn are both safe to injest and both safe for kittens!

However if you notice your kitten eating any of the litter at all you need to make sure to teach it that it shouldnt do that. :3 By rights, no cat in their right mind will want to eat their own litter. Cats are veryyyy picky about those things. (unlike dogs) haha.

As for clumping or non clumping. I always go for clumping, as most litters naturally clump and makes it much easier to scoop. Ive never heard any concerns about clumping being a bad thing. I believe its more preference.
Unread 09-29-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokipoki View Post
My kittens have never had a problem with any of the litters they were given. They have also never tried to eat it. I do know that pine and corn are both safe to injest and both safe for kittens!

However if you notice your kitten eating any of the litter at all you need to make sure to teach it that it shouldnt do that. :3 By rights, no cat in their right mind will want to eat their own litter. Cats are veryyyy picky about those things. (unlike dogs) haha.

As for clumping or non clumping. I always go for clumping, as most litters naturally clump and makes it much easier to scoop. Ive never heard any concerns about clumping being a bad thing. I believe its more preference.
WELL! That makes me feel loads better I've picked out the perfect little litter box that filters the clean litter to the bottom, making the disposables easy to dispose of Thank you guys !
Unread 07-03-2012   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Ettina is on a distinguished road
Talking Pine

I started using pine about a month ago, I am not going back to dusty kitty litter. The pine is great, I just had to figure out how to use the gadding scoop (used for clumping kind) to get the wet and dry fine particles out. It's easy I have a system now. Everyday, can't even smell it unless someone just did #2.

I take the scoop scoop up the wet and dry dabree (pellets that got wet and fell apart) and carefully place over trash bag. I shake and the used pine drops through and leaves the pellets behind... Pellets are bigger then scoop holes.

Anyway I put the good pellets back and keep doing that (is quick) and It cleans fast. It seems to last longer too. I don't get as much debree all over the house and NO DUST! Smells a lot better. Cat's don't seem to mind either but I did have to get them use to it with 50/50 at first. My cat's never really barried there scat so it was an easy transition... but they pretend to. LOL.

I love pine!
Unread 07-04-2012   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
LillyKits is on a distinguished road

I just brought home two kittens and have already decided I don't like my Tidy Cats clumping litter for the kittens (but I do like it for my adult Cornish Rex Lilly). The problem is that I've noticed is that when they use the kitty box, all is well, dig a hole, squat, do their business....all perfect! Then when they start digging to cover it up the kitty litter bits stick to their slightly still wet back areas and it's irritating them. So I switched to the crystals. I've never ever tried it before because of the cost...but wow I just love it so far and so do they.

Wish it wasn't so much. I need to find out if one of the discount warehouses carry it...hmmm.

I almost tried the Pine pellets, but I had tried it in the past (the original one not the clumping one and I just didn't care for the smell of it).
Is needed, like a dish of cream.
~ T. S. Eliot

Tags
adult , art , box , cat , cat's , cats , clean , crazy , dogs , dry , eating , fast , great , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , love , opinion , pee , person , poop , problem , problems , small , smell , transition

Sponsored Cat Links