It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

MommyOfOnyx is on a distinguished road
Default dental question

hi again everyone

my kitty Onyx is a little over 4 months now and i noticed he is starting to lose his baby teeth and is chewing on everything (which i know is normal) now then im a little concerned beacuse i looked at his teeth today and the gum line where his teeth meet his gums are a little red and when i brushed his teeth they bleed a little. is this normal beacuse his adult teeth are comming in or does he have gengervitis? thank you for any advice!

mommyof onyx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I would think 4 months old would be too young for gingivitis and the redness and bleeding may be from teething, but I don't know for sure. Does he act like the brushing is bothering him?

My advice would be to hold off on any more brushing until you can give your vet a call about it, just to be safe, and ease your own mind.

I haven't started brushing Queen Eva's teeth yet, though I am rubbing a little c.e.t. along the side of her mouth when I do the other cats. I have to go slow with her, she doesn't like any messing about until I've done it enough times that she's used to it, and realizes she's survived whatever it is I've done to her.

Queen Eva is almost 13 weeks old and just starting to want to chew. I was given the suggestion in another forum to buy a bag of bendy straws for her to chew on. She LOVES them, not just to chew, but to chase. I check them frequently ( a few times a day) and snip off the ends when they start to disintegrate. I only put down three or four at a time.

I also was giving the suggestion to give her a toothbrush to chew, and I like that idea too.

I've been very careful not to use anything in Games with her that even remotely resembles an electrical cord, so to improve the odds that she will not chew on them.

Let us know how Onyx's teething progresses. My Queen Eva is only a month or so behind him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

yes i thought he was a little young for gingervitis as well and his breath doesent smell at all. just whenever i see blood or red color i get a little nervous lol he tolarats the brushing for a min or so then swats at me and i stop and give him a treat, i also dont think it is gingervitis beacuse he was neautered last week and before they neutered him they did a quick check up and his teeth were not mentioned to me only thing that they said was he is a big 4 month old at being just under 10pounds but doesent seem to be over weight just heavy. i am trying to advoid the vet if i can just beacuse lets see in the last month and a half (since i got him) i have spent around $700 at the vet between nutering and shots and he had a problem with sickness after switching food and i would really prefer not to add another vet vist lol but i might call my vet and see if she has any advice since she did see him recently
Unread 09-18-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh sure, I didn't mean bring him in. Just chat with the vet to ease your mind. But he is most likely fine and the bleeding is from the baby teeth falling out.

Wow, 10 pounds at 4 months? What kind of mammoth cat are you raising, LOL!
Unread 09-18-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

well when i got him i only saw his mom and his mom looked like a large bombay and a couple of his siblings i saw were simise print so i think he might be a bombay/simise cross but i dont know what other breeds are in him lol
Unread 09-18-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'd love to see pictures of him. Have you posted any? I'll go check...
Unread 09-18-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

yes there are pics of him when i first joined the site it is under the say meow section and i think the name of the thread is hello fellow cat lovers or something like that lol
Unread 09-18-2010   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

If you ever need to neuter another cat, go to the Friends of Animals site and buy a certificate from them (it's really a donation), then find a vet who accepts Friends of AnimalsCertificates. My vet just charged me for the anesthesia and antibiotics ($44) and the neutering was free because he participates in the plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 09-18-2010   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

wow yeah i paid $250 to get him fixed plus another $30 for the look over before hand if i had waited till he was a year old my vet would of done it for $100 but i dident want to take chances of him getting out and mateing so i payed a lot i feel a bit ripped off but you know i also feel good for doing the right thing and getting him fixed

Tags
adult , advice , another cat , antibiotics , baby , bleed , bombay , breeds , cat , cat lovers , cats , chewing , color , food , games , hey , kitty , love , nervous , neutering , pictures , print , problem , queen , question , siblings , sick , sickness , smell , stop , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links