It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Default Magic in Hospital

Monday morning I woke up and found one of my cats had diarrhea on the floor. Monday night I found more diarrhea in the litter box. I could not figure out which cat was doing it because they both were eating, playing and acting normal. Tuesday I came home and found one of the cats had thrown up on the bathroom floor and there was a rubber band in it that one of the cats had swallowed. Then later I found three more places where one of them had thrown up. It was very frustrating because I did not know which one was sick. Then Wednesday morning while getting ready for work I saw Magic throw up white foamy stuff. I called the vet and brought her right in because I was worried, and now I knew which one was sick. The vet kept her overnight Wednesday and overnight again Thursday until Friday afternoon--Magic did not have diarrhea or throw up even once while there. They took x-rays and examined her head to tail and could not find anything wrong. I told the vet that prior to this, she has been constipated, so the vet gave me cat lax to use if she gets constipated. She has been fine since being home, so I can't imagine what was wrong. She was de-wormed and has all her shots, eats Blue Buffalo wet food with water mixed in, Blue Buffalo Dry food, and she drinks from her water fountain.
Midnight meowed, cried, and followed me around clinging to me meowing the entire time Magic was gone. It was so sad. Usually when I leave the house, they are fine, but when I left while Magic was at the hospital, Midnight cried like a baby. As soon as Magic came home, Midnight ran over to her carrier and couldn't wait for me to unzip it so he could greet his sister. His incessant meowing and crying has stopped. Now I am worried--since they are so bonded--if anything ever happens to one of the, the one who is left is going to be grieving terribly!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

What a fright you've had! Yes it is very hard on the one left, especially if they are deeply bonded, when the other passes. They do cope, eventually, but the grieving is terrible.

Everyone reading. Remember to keep all rubber bands, including pony tail hair ties, and thin string such as dental floss and thread picked up away from your kitties.

Keep us posted on Magic.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Magic seems fine except she seems to be getting constipated again. I had tried pumpkin but she won't eat it.. My vet gave me cat lax and I put it on top of her paw. I must have done it wrong. She was supposed to lick it off, but instead she flung her paw back and forth really fast and hard and the stuff went flying across the room and landed on the rug and on her carrier. I tried again but she ran around the room flinging her paw really fast and again it flew off the paw. Damn!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 09-20-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hehehe! I've got some expert hairball remedy flingers too. I've taught them all to tolerate me shoving it down their throats, but one thing you can try that I used to do for Mazy: Wipe it on the paw, but smear it very thin. You have to cover a couple inches of paw, to smear it thin enough.

Mazy accepted it this way for many years, just licking it off. Or so I thought.

At some point in time, I know not exactly when, Mazy discovered that if she sat still for long enough all the stuff would slip down to the end of her paw, and then she could fling and flick to her heart's content.

I discovered this one day when I was cleaning. And then the next time I cleaned I found more blobs, and the next time after that...and then I finally caught on and she had to learn to accept me shoving it down her throat the way Tolly and Jennie take it. She's so brave and good about it.

Cat Lax is made from cod liver oil and is high in vitamin A so you really can't use it very often.

The thing is, chronic constipation can lead to megacolon and you really don't want to start relying on laxatives in a cat so young.

What you need, I think, is a diet change. Cats who have constipation problems need to be on an all canned grain free diet. I learned this the hard way, but I know it now.

My Ootay (rb 5/09) had chronic constipation for many years and the vet I was using then didn't have a clue how to treat it properly, having me shove more and more hair ball remedy (such as cat lax and laxatone) and ever increasing quantities of "metamucil" (psyllium husk), and by the time I switched vets it was too late, my poor tiny girl had a terrible megacolon and had to take medicine 8 times a day for her last five years of life, just to poop.

While she was on all that psyllium and laxatone crap her poops were as big as she was. She was a tiny girl, never more than 6.5 pounds and by the time her megacolon was so bad she was only 5 pounds.

Then when I rescued my Jennie, by the time she was two, she was having trouble with constipation and blocked anal glands. By this time I knew that these cats need as little fiber as possible, and grain free all canned diet, with as much water added to each serving of food as the cat will tolerate.

Jennie can eat ONLY Wellness canned grain free chicken. Wellness has other non fish grain free flavors but I can only vary her diet with a different meat protein one every five days or so, or her problem comes back.

(Wellness also has grain free fish flavors, but I don't feed my cats fish based cat foods)

So you might think about this for Magic. A grain free canned diet. You've got to get to the bottom on the constipation, without using laxatives, now, before she has a megacolon.

PS While using the cat lax, it's best to give it on an empty stomach at least an hour before food. First thing in the morning, for example. Cat lax and other hair ball remedies and laxatives interfere with nutrient absorption if given with food.

Do you brush Magic every day? Fur accumulation might be part of the problem, but hair ball remedy really shouldn't be used more than twice a week or the body becomes dependent on it.

And really, it's not all that great at helping for chronic constipation.

Tags
baby , box , cat , cats , constipation , crying , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fast , fiber , food , found , girl , hey , home , house , kitties , licking , litter , litter box , meowing , morning , night , paw , playing , poop , problems , sad , sick , vet , water , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links