It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Felina is on a distinguished road
Question Kitten food?

I've had him for over a week, he was already dewormed but he is too young for his shots, the night I found him I bought whiskas dry food because it was all that was available (it was late) and gave it to him with a bit of warm water so they went soft, he was starving so he ate a lot the first few days, now he has become a bit picky, I am also worried he is not getting all he needs from the food because it seems to be for adults so I bought a bag of kitten dry food (whiskas too) and mixed it in, he started eating better but then got picky on me again, added a tablespoon of can food (chicken, whiskas) and he is eating enough again.

I heard kirkland is decent and affordable but do kittens need special food like puppies do? I read here that adding egg is good, what other things are safe to add so my picky kitten eats and to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs and how much should I add? I also read canned food is better, but from the reviews I've read kirkland's canned food doesn't seem to be as good as the dry one?

Sorry for all the questions, overprotective mommy here haha
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to our forum! Congratulations on your new baby!

Canned food is better for kittens. I have a young kitten too, she's no longer an infant, (3 months now) but I was unable to find a good quality kitten food she would eat.

So she gets the same canned food (wellness grain free) one of my adult cats eats, with a dry food that is formulated as all life stages (cats and kittens) made by Innova.

How old is your kitten? You can get some KMR and mix it with his kibble if you want to keep him on a kitten kibble, the KMR will add important nutrients he needs, especially if he is under 8 weeks old.

KMR=kitten milk replacement. You should be able to find it at a pet store. Do not give the kitten cow's milk. It will make him sick.

However I do urge you to get the little baby to the vet for a check up right away.

I wouldn't recommend giving a kitten any human food, just yet. It can cause finickiness problems.

Please keep us updated! What's his name?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-23-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Felina is on a distinguished road

I took him to the vet the day after I found him, he is perfectly healthy, just too young for his shots, he was dewormed and got some flea drops for now, that was almost 2 weeks ago, in 2 more weeks I am supposed to go back again for his first shots. The vet told me he was 4 weeks old, so now he is about 6 weeks old.

His unofficial name is Devon, he still doesn't respond to it and it's a bit hard to pronounce in spanish so I am thinking of adding some sort of title so people can call him by name and not just "kitty"

Thank you for the reply, I will look for the kitten milk replacement! and will not add anything else to his food until he gets older

Tags
adult , affordable , baby , canned food , cats , dry , dry food , eating , egg , food , found , free , healthy , hey , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , night , pet , problems , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links