It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-08-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road
Default One cat with fleas, worms...ugh.

So I have 4 indoor cats, the youngest is 1 1/2 years (Frankie), and at the beginning of September I noticed fleas on him. I immediately checked the others over of course (and my ferrets), and found not one flea on any of them. Bought Frontline Plus, put it on all of them. It seemed Frankie's fleas started to go away after a couple of days. My house does not seem to be infested, but I am aware that flea eggs could be in the carpet.

But 2 weeks ago I saw a few fleas crawling on his face again, and was waiting until the 30 days was up to put more Frontline on him, checked the other animals over again, no fleas in sight on them. Then, the other night, I noticed a couple little white worms around his anal area. Immediately called the vet to get an appointment. They told me the worms were from him eating his fleas.

We tried to use foggers in the house originally, but one of the others (Gary), freaked out about physically being locked in a carrier so bad that he started stripping his claws bloody within minutes trying to get out, so we backed off the whole idea and canceled the fogging.

Frankie is going to the vet today to get medication. But I am puzzled as to why the Frontline is not working on him (never had this problem with the others in the past), and why he is the only one that has fleas in the first place? If the Frontline doesn't work I know he will just get worms all over again and continue to have fleas, I am just at a loss of what to do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

If Frankie has tapeworms, they all do, or will, all cats will need to be de-wormed.

Where did you get the frontline plus? Did you buy it from the vet?

The flea eggs don't live on the cat. They drop to the carpet and upholstery, then when they hatch into fleas they jump on the cat to eat, and to lay the eggs which, subsequently drop off into the upholstery and carpet, etc.

I recommend going to Revolution, treat all cats with revolution for six months, and treat all cats with droncit for tapeworm.

If you live in a warm climate you probably will have to treat year round, if it gets cold in winter, six months of treating the cats, plus an aggressive home deflea program, daily vacuuming, launder everything that can be laundered and so on, should set you right.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-10-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road

The vet said that the tapeworms were not contagious, and that the other cats would have to ingest fleas with the parasite in order to get them too. I am still checking in the litter boxes to make sure. But the others don't have any fleas, I've checked them over with a little LED flashlight and flea comb thoroughly multiple times, and they couldn't give me an answer as to why only Frankie has them. I find it very odd.

Thanks for letting me know about the flea eggs, I had thought that the eggs would mostly be on the animals because Frontline claims to "kill flea eggs" too. =/ I did not buy the Frontline from the vet, I got it at a pet store, do you think that could be the problem with that?

The vet gave Frankie a topical medication for the worms (cant remember the name of it), and did recommend the Revolution, which we bought and so far so good I think. We are going to attempt to bomb the house again this week so hopefully that will just give us a clean slate.
Unread 10-10-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yes, you may not have gotten a legitimate package of frontline plus. NOW it has been released for over-the-counter sales, but that is only recently and there still is plenty of bootleg and counterfeit product floating around. I would continue to purchase flea medications from the vet for some time to come.

To eliminate fleas ALL animals in the household need to be treated, every 30 days consistently, for at least six months.

Just because you don't see any doesn't mean they are not there. If you gave each cat a capstar you would most likely be very surprised at how many dead fleas drop off of each cat.

If possible I recommend you find another vet. I'd be very concerned about a vet who does not advise the treatment of all cats in a household when tapeworm and fleas is found in one. If one has it, it is safe to assume they all do, if you don't eliminate them all at the same time the cycle will continue.

The topical dewormer was probably profender. It's broad spectrum, killing tape, hook and roundworms. Of course the revolution also kills the hook and roundworms so it is sort of over-kill. Revolution and a droncit tablet would have done the same.
Unread 10-11-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

faybio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl View Post
The vet said that the tapeworms were not contagious
The vet was wrong to tell you this.

As acerlt has already advised, find a new vet.

Tags
aggressive , carpet , cat , cats , claws , clean , cold , eating , fleas , found , frontline , hey , home , house , indoor , litter , litter boxes , loss , night , pet , problem , vet

Sponsored Cat Links