It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Had to call the ASPCA poison control again

Good grief. Queen Eva ate some foam rubber. I THINK. I am not positive because I did not see her do it, but I caught her with a piece in her mouth, and the other slivers are no where to be found. They are not big pieces, just thin slivers I shaved off an edge of a project.

My goodness I am practically obsessive about checking the house for threads, strings, pins, tacks, rubber bands and so on. And now this.

Anyway, I didn't want to make myself sick with worry so I made the call. I found out the foam rubber is not toxic, thank goodness for small favors. The danger of course is impaction in the bowel, if the pieces were large enough. They really weren't very big, not long, and very thin shavings.

So I am to feed her larger than normal meals if I can get her to eat more at one time. I am to add fiber (I have pysllium here) to the meals three times a day for the next three days. Bulking the stool will help any foam pass through.

Watch for vomiting, lethargy, straining to defecate, bloody stool. If there is going to be a problem, it will show up in 2-3 days.

So far she is fine. To encourage her to eat a lot I gave her a food I don't normally let her have because it is fishy, and I don't encourage fishy in this house. It's the California Natural Venison and brown rice, though it smells like pure fish (fish is the second ingredient). I added the psyllium and a tablespoon of water and she gobbled it right up, and gobbled up another portion (did not add any more pysllium) too.

I think there will be no Christmas tree this year. I can't take the stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-13-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Aww, poor Queen Eva and poor you! She seems to be a bit accident prone the little love .

My Tippy was a bit like that, always getting into scrapes or hurting herself (she once got her front claws caught in her back paw - never seen that before or since)

I'm sure she will be ok, and she has the best possible care with you as mommy.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-13-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks Heidi. Yes Queen Eva does seem to have been born under an Accident Prone star. Gah, I don't know if I can survive her kittenhood!

I stayed up until 3 a.m. reading and watching her and she had a very wild Solitary Game time at 2:30 that went on until I finally went to bed at 3.

Queen Eva had her normal little poops this morning, but after a run around Game session with Tolly, started hanging out down by the litter box. I assumed she was having some cramping. I watched her carefully of course, and after a while she got in and had a large (for her) very smelly poop.

I didn't see any foam in it, (yes I picked it apart, much to her Great Interest, Mom whatcha doin? Hey Mom why ya doin that? brrrt brrrrt BRRRRRT!) but this poop had to have been the result of either the cat lax, or the psyllium meal, or perhaps both, as it was much larger than normal and smelled wrong, which, since I gave her different food last night, makes sense.

Afterward she sat down again as if her tummy bothered her, but she is now racing around kitten style again, with Tolly and Mazy, one of their Three Way Chase Me Chase You Games. Jennie too is playing, she has herself set up for an ambush should anyone get near her corner.

The poison control center said 2-3 days, so I will continue with the psyllium and hope for the best, but if she's already pooping out last night's midnight meal and psyllium I have hope that things are moving through her okay.

Whew!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-13-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

In spite of her high activity level this morning I did get the sense that she was having some cramping and discomfort in her belly or abdomen, gas, I imagine, from the extra fiber. So earlier today I gave her a little blob of probios and rubbed her tummy for a few seconds (all she would allow as she was too busy to stop just then) and she seemed more comfortable after that.

She's had another poop, (her third since I started the fiber supplement) larger than normal (because of the pysllium, and me stuffing her with food) I couldn't see any sign of foam pieces.

She's still acting fine and normal, but it's not even been 24 hours yet.

please read this first
Unread 11-14-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default It's coming out!!

Queen Eva hadn't pooped yet today, her last one was late last night. I was getting a little nervous, but now I've got some good news.

Queen Eva just had a gigantic poop (all that psyllium) with some strings of very obviously a foreign substance. It's no longer recognizable as foam rubber, but it clearly something that doesn't belong there.

Whether that's the last of it or not, I don't know, I have to continue with the psyllium for another 24 hours.

please read this first
Unread 11-14-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

More poop! Didn't see anything unusual in this batch, but that she's pooping a lot is a good thing, means everything is as it should be in there.

I think we're past the crisis stage now. Whew!

please read this first
Unread 11-15-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it Gail! Must be such a relief - although the poor little girl must be wondering what's up with her botty lately

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 11-16-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

hallan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
Glad to hear it Gail! Must be such a relief - although the poor little girl must be wondering what's up with her botty lately
I bet she is! And wondering why her Mom is so interested in her poo!
I'm glad she's ok. They can be little monkeys, can't they? Ripley is terrible for string or any sort of elastic. I practically have to keep hair bobbles under lock and key.

Tags
age , aww , belly , bowel , brown , california , care , cat , christmas , claws , crisis , defecate , fiber , food , found , game , games , girl , hey , house , litter box , love , morning , moving , natural , night , paw , playing , poison , poop , problem , project , queen , sick , small , stress , vomiting , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links