It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-19-2010   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

As long as your kitties are both well and happy, getting along fine with their Friskies, then no need to change. My vet also told me that Friskies canned food was fine for kittens and adult cats.

I, too, found that listening to my cats was the best plan. So, sounds like you're really fine with what you are doing for food for both kitties.

Go for it!!

Aloha .. from Maui Boy's mom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to nperine For This Useful Post:
kat

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-19-2010   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yes, Fancy Feast makes a kitten food. FF is cheap here $.33 a can.

Canned food IS better for cats and kittens both. Without wanting to offend, I would not recommend Purina kitten chow to anyone. That stuff is nasty, read the labels! When I rescued Queen Eva, she was 8 weeks old and had been eating that purina kitten chow since she was four weeks old. She was not thriving at all, and the food smelled so bad I couldn't keep it in the house.

I put her on high quality adult canned food immediately, since that is what she will eat. I feed her as often as she will eat, small servings many times a day.

Canned food is higher in protein, lower in fat, high moisture, (which is crucial)and lower in all the other yucky things that are put in "cheap" kibble.

If you are going to feed a kibble only diet, please at least go to the highest quality you can afford. Look for foods with a recognized meat as the first two or three ingredients.

You want a food that does not contain artificial anything, and NO sugar or high frutcose corn syrup. Cats do not need sugar or high frutcose corn syrup, it is VERY BAD for them, especially that HFCS and can cause all sorts of problems, including diabetes.

Corn gluten is okay, if it is further down the list on ingredients, rice or oats, okay too, also should be further down in the list but you want to stay away from wheat or wheat gluten.

Dry seafood flavors are bad news, especially for male cats. Cheap dry food contains very poor quality ingredients, and unless fish is fresh, it is very bad for cats, and in most dry foods, the fish is not likely very fresh.

(canned fish foods, especially tuna, should only be fed as occasional treats, if at all)

End of lecture

the ingredients in purina kitten chow

Chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), wheat flour, fish meal, animal liver flavor, dried yeast, turkey by-product meal, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, salt, choline chloride, taurine, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, added color (Red 40), copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. F-4530

see? no meat, at ALL. Cats are obligate carnivores. unless they are on a prescription diet for a specific illness, they need meat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-23-2010   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

stormalexis is on a distinguished road
Default yoshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
I am sure... it is such an exciting experience... good luck with getting your little one, and I can't wait to see pictures!

Just got my baby Yoshi yesterday! Pics are on my profile
Unread 11-23-2010   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Awwww... he's a dear little Red Boy! Red Boys are my favorite.

Congratulations! He looks awfully small to be away from his mama already though, how old is he?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-24-2010   #15 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Aww... he's a dear little Red Boy! Red Boys are my favorite.

Congratulations! He looks awfully small to be away from his mama already though, how old is he?
Thanks! He's 7 weeks, or so. Born last month on the 9th.
Right now, Im doing the name thing, trying to teach it to him. Im rewarding him with treats when I see him respond to his name but it's not sticking yet! lol he'll respond once and then when he gets his treat, he'll go crawl under my chair or busy himself with something else.

and he's a little rough/aggressive. he playfully nibbles, but then sometimes bites hard :S I know he's playing and It doesn't really bother me, but Im not sure about letting others play with him because of how he bites and scratches when he plays.

and im having a bit of trouble trying to clip his nails because I have scratches and bites up and down my arm lol.

Last edited by stormalexis; 11-24-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Unread 11-24-2010   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

Hi from Maui Boy's Mom!

Maui is prone to bite too hard, also. When he does this, I say an emphatic "Uh, Oh" (instead of "NO"). If he's on my lap, I immediately put him on the floor. No other reprimands needed. We are still working through this, but he is really getting it after much repetition. This is the important part... REPETITION! CONSISTENCY!

P.S. Maui is also now almost 16 mo. old, much older than your little Yoshi .. but keep this in your mind for later .. re: biting.

When I was on my computer and Maui felt he needed my attention, he came up beside me. He came quietly and slowly up to my right arm (always right arm) and gave me a big bite! Hard! OUCH! That definitely got my attention!! And that was his aim. I immediatley stopped whomping away on my computer and picked Maui up. Puuurrr!

Maui's really smart and learns very quickly. However, he was bugging me way, way too often, at least in my mind. And he was continuing to bite me on the arm .. HARD!!! OUCH! I was too into the computer to pay attention to him. Yeah, he got that! But I also wanted to STOP that owie biting thing to get my attention.

So I did what I thought might work. When he came up and bit hard on my arm, I said .. "EASY"... in a fairly loud, firm voice. I did NOT pick him up. We went over this several times. Maui started coming up and began "gently nibbling" at my arm, instead of biting. Yes, you know I picked him up, cuddled him, etc. POSITIVE FEEDBACK FOR HIM! And for me!!! We have no more BITING to get attention .. only a very easy NIBBLE!! Since I give him lots of attention when he asks in this nice, gentle way, he doesn't push his luck and ask too often!! Like we've worked it out!!

I know Yoshi is too young to even reach your arm to get your attention, but keep all this in mind regarding "theory" in getting through to your kitties!! Repetition and consistency .. That's the secret!

We both have gotta go. Our favorite program is on... Dancing W/The Stars. I stretch out on the couch w/Maui on my chest and in both our heads, WE"RE dancing with the stars!! Meow!

Aloha from Maui Boy's mom on Maui!
The Following User Says Thank You to nperine For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-24-2010   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

Thats great! I also came across something that said not to use hands and feet to play with kittens as this causes aggressive behavior :O I surely didn't know. Its just that when I go to pet his head, he turns and starts playing with my hand and fingers, nibbling, then biting and scratching. So this morning when he went for my fingers, I immediately pulled them back into a fist amd rested it. It worked the first time, but then he just started acting aggy with my fist! Lol I'll figure it out, this behavior hasn't gone on long enough to stick as a habit (i don't think?) since hes only been with me two days.
Unread 11-24-2010   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Kittens that are taken away from their mothers and litter mates too soon are often biters. and 7 weeks is way too soon.

Or was he orphaned? That's the only reason I can think of for a kitten being away from his mama at 7 weeks old. You are going to have to teach him all the socialization that he would have been getting from his mother and litter mates for the next four or five weeks.

Never ever play with him with your hands, Always always have a toy in your hand so he bites and scratches the toy, not you.

However when he does bite you a sharp ouch! and No Yoshi (don't yell) and turn your back on him is how to teach him this is not allowed.

If he had his mother and litter mates they would be teaching him how to control biting and when to sheathe his claws. A mama cat teaches by swatting, hissing and ignoring, getting up and walking away.

A human should NEVER hit a cat, but you can say no Yoshi, even use a little hiss if you want, and turn your back on him and ignore him for a few minutes. After three times in one play session of him biting, get up and leave the room.

He will learn but it will take time and patience on your part and absolute consistency. Don't allow him to bite sometimes and then not other times, never allow biting.

You will want to learn his signals because if you can stop it before it happens that is even better. Kittens become over stimulated quickly.

When petting or playing, watch for the ears going back, tail lashing, eyes getting wide and dark. He may fix his eyes on the part of you he is planning to bite. STOP the activity when you see this, and go to throwing something for him to chase instead.

Forestalling the biting is just as good as correcting it.

please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-24-2010   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

omg thanks a TON for this. But yeah, I adopted him from a woman and he came from a home with 3 or 4 littermates and a mum and dad.
Unread 11-24-2010   #20 (permalink)
Kitten

yay! I have had quick success with the biting issue. I wiggle my toes now, and all he does is look and move on with something else. No biting with the hands either. Although Im still having trouble teaching him his name

Tags
adult , age , aggressive , animal , baby , beautiful , bite , bowel , boy , cat , cats , color , computer , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , food , happy , healthy , hey , hissing , home , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , lost , love , loving , mat , opinion , pictures , play , playing , problems , sad , small , smart , smell , turkey , vet , water , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links