It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

stormalexis is on a distinguished road
Default Of these three, which is the best kitten food?

My head is spinning back and forth trying to find the healthiest, but not too costly, wet kitten food. So I came by three products that are within my budget, Fancy Feast, Friskies, and Nutro MAX. Out of those three (or others that you know of) which is healthiest?

Im kind of leaning towards Nutro .. but Friskies has a variety pack and I thought that maybe the kitten would get bored of eating the same food everyday. (But if im wrong, please correct me.) I also just read the friskies ingredients .. by-products is listed so does that mean I shouldn't choose that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

And even thought Friskies isn't particularly for KITTENS .. does it matter if the kitten eats it or should I be buying Fancy Feast?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi! Welcome back! Out of the choices you listed I would go with the Nutro Max kitten food. There are three flavors to choose from.

In my opinion, kittens should be started on only one food, one flavor. Giving too much variety at first can cause a finicky cat. Of course if the kitten refuses to eat, something else has to be tried, a kitten (depending on age) should be fed every few hours at the very least.

You can add variety as s/he grows older.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-18-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

oh alright, thank you!
Unread 11-19-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

Does Friskies make canned kitten food? A lot of their varieties a small kitten would have trouble eating. i.e. big chunks/stringy. Fancy Feast isn't "kitty food" either, is it? I know Fancy Feast is pretty expensive. It's $1.39 per tiny can here on the Island of Maui. I haven't heard of Nutro MAX. Do they make specifically "kitty food"?

My vet told me that kitten chow has a higher protein than regular cat chow. He said kittens need the extra protein in specifically "kitten food" for at least their first year.

Have you tried your kitten on dry kitten chow? Purina has a 7 lb. bag, which makes it very inexpensive. There are other brands of kitty chow so you can switch. I switch between two brands.

My kitty, Maui Boy, is 17 months old now and has been on kitty chow since he was about 7 weeks old, and he totally loves it. He's old enough to switch to adult food, but he's a little tiny guy (8-1/2 lbs) with tiny little teeth. He can easily chew the kitty chow. He tried regular chow and had a hard time eating it and ended up just swallowing it practically whole or scattering it all over the floor.

Maui likes to "eat at will" which he can do with the kitty chow. He likes to "graze" and has never over-eaten with the kitty chow, which is available to him at all times. He's got clear, sparkling eyes, a beautiful shiny coat, lots of energy, is very loving, alert and smart as a whip. He's very healthy and happy!

Kitty chow works really well for Maui Boy. Since he's "older now", vet said to just make sure he drinks a lot of water, which he does.

I did try Maui on canned food several times. He just didn't seem to like it much and would eat a tiny bit and walk away and then look at me with sad eyes!! He actually lost weight. That's when I switched to kitty chow .. and both of us are very happy!!!

Just a suggestion ... but I think it would be worth your while to try kitty chow. It has the protein kittens need, you can leave it out all the time (with a fresh bowel of water), it's really inexpensive .. especially if you buy in 7 lb. bags ... and it avoids the "stinky smell" of many of the canned foods!

And .. an extra bonus to dry kitty chow is: You don't have to worry about being home at specific times each day to put out food for your cat!!! Believe me, that's a big plus!!

If your kitty is hesitant about the dry food, you could leave out a small portion of "wet food" also and just keep decreasing the amount of wet food until he's switched over to all dry food.
Unread 11-19-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

"I did try Maui on canned food several times. He just didn't seem to like it much and would eat a tiny bit and walk away and then look at me with sad eyes!!" Awww!

At first I was definitely going for wet food since I heard its healthier, but since that's most likely what he's going to be on when I get him (adopting soon), Im just going to keep him on the dry food. It's finally settled.

I've been searching for hours, comparing and reading up on the best foods for kittens and now realize I was definitely .. probably over doing it! lol.
Unread 11-19-2010   #7 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I've been feeding my 11 week old and 13 month old the same food, Purina Friskies, and this is the only food which they love. I was feeding them another sort, can't think of the name now, but this seemed to give my little one a runny tummy... so I went back to Friskies, which they both LOVE to bits!

I used to feed Dizi (the baby) kitten food, but he wasn't interested and always ran to Sasha's bowl, and then I read that it doesn't really matter, and that it is only recent that brands have introduced Kitten and Adult food... so I've been feeding them both the Adult and Dizi hasn't had a runny tummy, or any symptoms of tummy problems since.

I feel them both their meet as their dinner, once a day, but I have biscuits out for them all day for them to nibble on if they're hungry. I dont' know if this is the best way, but it works for me... and my cats are HAPPY it seems... My cats have told me what they like, food wise, so I try my best to listen to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Unread 11-19-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Well that is a much needed relief, because I was a little torn between two different brands, one that said for Kittens and another that was for adults.
Boy, I can't WAIT til I get my baby!
Unread 11-19-2010   #9 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

I am sure... it is such an exciting experience... good luck with getting your little one, and I can't wait to see pictures!

PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Unread 11-19-2010   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks, and yeah there will be tons of pictures

Tags
adult , age , aggressive , animal , baby , beautiful , bite , bowel , boy , cat , cats , color , computer , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , food , happy , healthy , hey , hissing , home , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , lost , love , loving , mat , opinion , pictures , play , playing , problems , sad , small , smart , smell , turkey , vet , water , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links