It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

lauren33 is on a distinguished road
Default How to get a urine sample from my cat???

Hi,

My cat Tweety is sick and I'm supposed to supply my vet with a urine sample because I didn't wanted him to shave her belly and stick a needle into her bladder (the vet admitted that this process is very painful for the cat),
so I bought this stuff called Nosorb (plastic pallets) and my cat won't urinate on it! My vet told me that there's a new product called Kit4cat that's available online (kit4cat.com), did someone hear something about this product?
If you have any other suggestions on how to retrieve a urine sample from my cat without causing her severe pain please let me know.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-24-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry your Tweety is sick.

Cystocentesis, which is what the procedure is called when they take the urine straight from the bladder, is NOT painful, and shaving is not necessary.

I know this because my Mazy cat has FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease) and has her urine cultured twice a year. My Tolly has also has had his urine taken by Cystocentesis, but just as a routine check.

My Ootay (rb5/09) also had this procedure done, even when she was old and fragile, and she never felt a thing.

But anyway, that's not answering your question. You will have to keep your kitty shut up in one small room with the beads until she uses them. However you have to get the urine to the vet right away, doing it this way.

Another option is to bring her to the vet with a full bladder. You can do this by picking up all litter boxes several hours before bringing her in, so she will have to hold it until she gets there. Once at the vet, with a ful bladder, the vet can squeeze her bladder, forcing some urine to come out.

Honestly Cystocentesis is the easiest way, and it gets the cleanest sample.

I have not heard about the kit, but I am going to take a look at the website right now.

PS I just checked out the kit4cat website. Looks like a pretty useful thing, though very expensive.

And again, you have to get the urine to the vet in a timely manner.

If you do use that let us know how you like it okay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
belly , bladder , cat , hey , kitty , litter , litter boxes , question , sick , small , suggestions , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links