It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-03-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

MommyOfOnyx is on a distinguished road
Exclamation feline dandruff and scabs

i know its been awhile since i last posted and it probly seems like im only posting when i have questions and for that im sorry but being a newer cat owner i have a lot of questions lol

so i was grooming onyx today and i noticed he has some dandruff which i live in new england and it is common for cats to have it when the weather gets cold and we turn up the heat in the house i have started to add a little olive oil in his food to help some but brushing him i noticed her had 2 scabs on his back/side that easily brushed off and there was no blood or anything after the scabs peeled off. i would like to know if it would be normal for a cat who hasdandruff to scatch himself so hard to cause scabs? or if i should once again take him to the vet and have it checked out? i REALLY dont mind takeing him to the vet but the vet i go to is somewhat overpriced and i have taken him in the past for the smallest things that the vet has told me i dident even need to take him in for and she gave me a huge bill anyway lol so you see unless someone thinks this is a huge issue i would like to not take him to the vet. i was thinking of keeping an eye on him for the next few days and see if the scabs come back and if they do to take him to the vet then. but only if they come back. thank you for any advice, im sure onyx will be thankful to.

mommyofonyx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It's okay that you only come in with questions, we love to help!

If you want to hang around and read other threads and get to know us better, fine, if you don't that's fine too.

I wouldn't recommend olive oil for skin and coat health.

Instead use fish oil. (Omega 3 fatty acid) This has multiple benefits, not only is it good for coat and skin, it is good for his heart and kidneys, immune system, and the nervous system too. I prefer to use a made for cats brand called Welactin 3, manufactured by nutramax.(not related to nutro foods). I get mine usually through an online store called entirelypets.com, but your vet probably carries it, too.

The scabs could very well be from Onyx scratching.

However is there a chance he has fleas? All it takes sometimes is one flea bite for a cat with a flea allergy, and he would scratch and scratch and form scabs from that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

hello again thanks for the advice,

i treated him with frontline about 2 weeks ago when i first saw the scabs i thought it might be fleas and broke out the flea comb being a black cat it is very hard to find fleas without one lol he came up clean of fleas and eggs just some dandruff. and like i said i did treat him for fleas not to long ago. and thanks for the fish oil advice i will go and get some tommrrow for him from petco. i will keep an eye on the scabs if they come back i will take him to the vet but like i said my vet way over charges me for nothing lol the whole changeing food thing to fast i got a vet bill for $189 and all the vet did was check him over and give me advice dident run any tests or anything.
Unread 12-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome.

The scabs would have taken time to form from scratching and then dry up, so it's very likely the irritation was from a flea bite, that happened before the frontline plus treatment.

You might not see any fleas ever, but sometimes all it takes to drive a cat into bad scratching is one bite.

I would keep on with the frontline plus every 30 days, and start adding the welactin 3 fish oil to his food. I would add it every other day to start, and see how Onyx does. Give it three or four weeks before deciding if you need to increase it to every day, or maybe two days on, one day off.

If you do see improvement, in the interests of expense, you can try reducing it to every second or third day, and see if the benefit to coat and skin are still enough.

Let me know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-03-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

i will thanks again
Unread 12-04-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

One of my cats reacts badly to flea bites and will scratch them until awful scabs form so I think Gail is right about Onyx's scabs being old flea bites.
She also seems to have more 'dandruff' than my other cat, I think her skin is more sensitive which is why she reacts so badly to the flea bites.
I've just seen the photos you've posted of Onyx. He is a beautiful cat!
Unread 12-04-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

thank you he is my baby and my first "real" cat lol when i was like 5 i lived in a very bad part of san diego and had "adopted" a stray cat would let her come in the house when my parents werent looking and stuff lol but she mainly stayed outside. onyx was a gift from my long term boyfriend and he stays in the house 99% of the time he only goes out when he dashes out when the door is opened and stays out maybe an hour then comes back in, i am also in the middle of leash/harness training him i want to take him on walk lol
Unread 12-05-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Harness and leash training a cat who is a door dasher is an excellent idea. If you take him out to explore his environment in that protected way, he is less likely to get lost if he sneaks out on his own.

I wouldn't be able to bear the uncertainty of that, at all (the door dashing and staying out) My cats are all harness trained, and they drag long lengths of lightweight poly rope behind them when I take them out in their fenced yard, supervised only.

please read this first
Unread 12-05-2010   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

well right now beacuse of the cold he will look out the door but come running back inside lol but during the fall he would dash out and not come back for awhile i did get worried but you cant really catch a cat and that was before he really knew his name. now i call him and he comes running so not as bad as it use to be
Unread 01-27-2011   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
TommyCat is on a distinguished road

This is just a far off guess, but be sure there isn't any Chemical Fracture drilling for natural gas going on near you. It's known to instantly contaminate the water. If kitties drink it, it could cause problems.

Tags
advice , allergy , art , beautiful , bite , black , black cat , cat , cats , clean , cold , dry , environment , eye , fast , fish , fleas , food , fracture , frontline , gift , grooming , health , heat , hey , home , house , lost , love , nervous , photos , problems , scab , scratch , scratching , vet

Sponsored Cat Links