It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

buckeyefan is on a distinguished road
Smile new food

I have a male tiger cat, Woody, who will be a year old in January. Right now I have him on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. The reason I have him on that formula is he throws up once in a while. I don't know if it is the food, or he doesn't chew the kibble up. He won't eat canned food. So far he hasn't had any UTIs and I want to prevent them if possible. He does drink a good amount of water. I am thinking of switching him to either Tast of the Wild or Blue Buffalo. Which is better?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello to you & Woody!
I can't advise which food is better as I haven't tried either on my cats but I was just wondering how often he is vomiting and if you've consulted your vet about it.
Both my cats vomit occasionally but this is due to them eliminating hair from their stomachs rather than food sensitivity.
I'm not sure I'd recommend a completely dry diet unless it has been advised by your vet.
What types of canned food or pouches have you tried?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-05-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

buckeyefan is on a distinguished road

He doesn't vomit very often, so I don't really think it is the food. But I want him on a better food than SD. I have tried Friskies, Nutro, Purina Pro Plan. He just doens't like it. I am a firm believer in dry food.
Unread 12-05-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

HI, and welcome to the forum!

Canned food is much better for cats than dry food, but if he won't eat it, he won't eat it. I do urge you to not give up on adding canned food to Woody's diet. Just try something different, every now and then.

Try some of the better canned foods, Blue Healthy gourmet, the flaked varieties is popular with my finicky boy, as is Petite Cuisine. Try different styles. Try flaked, and shredded, and chunks in gravy styles. Avoid foods that have artificial anything, and wheat gluten.

I have never fed Taste of the Wild, but many cats seem to have trouble digesting it. Gas, vomiting and diarrhea are the complaints I see most.

So I'd recommend trying the Blue first. Do you know how to transition a cat's diet? It has to be done very very slowly, and you should give a probiotic daily during the transition, and for a couple weeks afterward.

Occasional vomiting is normal for a cat, but I agree with Helen, that if it is excessive a vet visit it in order. Is he regurgitating or vomiting? Regurgitation is when the cats gobbles up the kibble, and then hurls it right back up.

It comes up as a long tube, because it hardly even makes it to the stomach. If it happens often it usually is a scarf and barf issue, and schedule feeding of small meals more frequently is what I would recommend. An elevated dish (about 3 1/2 inches) can help, too.

If Woody is vomiting on an empty stomach, bile, yellow or green, this is a health issue and he needs to see the vet without delay.

Sometimes hair balls can cause vomiting, even if they don't bring the fur up. A stubborn hairball can cause a build up of gas, and you might see some projectile vomiting in that case. Regular grooming, and a once weekly regimen of hairball remedy can keep this problem at bay.

Lots of exercise is important to. Do you play interactive games with him every day?

Always give hairball remedy on an empty stomach at least an hour before a meal. This is because hairball remedy can interfere with nutrient absorption and you want the stuff to glom onto the fur in there, not any food.

Hairballs can cause serious problems however. Blockages, pain, inappetence. It is very serious if a cat won't eat, and in that case, don't wait more than 24 hours, if he won't eat, get him to the vet. Cats get very sick if they go too long without food and their organs begin to shut down.

Is Woody pooping and peeing normally?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
boy , canned food , cat , cat's , cats , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , food , fur , games , grooming , hair balls , healthy , hey , male , newborns , peeing , pet , play , problem , problems , sick , small , transition , vet , vomit , vomiting , water , wild , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links