It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-17-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Check for Anal Gland issues

Hey All, I have a bit of advice: when you bring your cat in for a check up, ask the vet to check his or her anal glands.

Mazy cat's anal glands were FULL to bursting, and I had no idea. I knew she'd been off, she was playing much less than usual lately and I thought it was her food. She's on a prescription kibble food. The other cats are all on high quality expensive canned food.

I've been researching foods like crazy and stressing over how to get her on a better food without her FLUTD acting up.

Mazy had no symptoms of blocked anal glands. Common symptoms of blocked or full anal glands are:

Scooting, bad odor, licking down there a lot, and constipation often accompanies the problem.

Mazy had none of that. Her only symptom was not wanting to play hardly at all and not seeming as cheerful as usual. Right before her scheduled 6 month check up I did notice a dark spot on her anus, looked like it was poking out, so I had the vet look at it.

As it turned out, Mazy's anal sacs were so full my vet squeezed and squeezed and squeezed and we were all stunned at how much stuff came out.

My poor Brave Lovey cat! She was sore for a day or two afterward. But now she's like....Va Va VOOM! All her normal energy has come back! She's so jolly and playful I get tears in my eyes watching her, I didn't realize how much worry I was carrying about her lack of interest in play, until she started acting normal again.

What with Queen Eva being all better, and Mazy back to her normal self I am doing a lot of smiling the past few days. It feels good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad you are always "on your toes" when it comes to your cats' health

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , canned food , cat , cat's , cats , constipation , crazy , eyes , food , health , hey , licking , playing , problem , queen , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links