It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Mimi_Kitty is on a distinguished road
Unhappy upper respiratory infection

Hi!

My little kitty has a respiratory infection as well as the parasite coxidia. She has been sneezing since Decemeber 14th and she received antibiotics on the 15th. I have her in my room by herself with the humidifier on all day. My question is how long does this normally last? I feel horrible for my little baby and while her sneezing has subsidized a bit, i can hear her wheezing now=( Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry your kitty is sick, you must be so worried. It can take a few days for the antibiotics to kick in. However I think wheezing is not a good sign, I think it might indicate that the lungs are being affected.

If you do not see great improvement by tomorrow morning, I recommend you give the vet a call and let her/him know your kitty is not better.

How's her appetite? How old is she?

<edit> PS I don't know anything about coxidia. That's a parasite right? Can you tell us more about it?

For instance, what were your cat's symptoms, how was it diagnosed, what is the treatment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-20-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

HI! Thank you for responding. I am worried; i get a bit neurotic when it comes to my cats! She is a little over 3 months. I adopted her from a rescue group who saved her from being euthenized. I took her to the vet because her eye was irritated. The next day, she started sneezing non stop. I called the vet and they confirmed she had URI. They gave me clavamox to treat her, however anti-biotics will not help her as it is viral. The anti-biotics are only given in case of a secondary infection.

She is eating and she still likes to play=)

Coxidia is a nasty organism that lives in the intestine. THEY ARE NOT DEDECTABLE TO THE NAKED EYE!!!!!!!!!!! It is very important that people have their pets feces checked every year or so to test for parasites. Coxidia is deadly if not treated and cases are becoming more and more frequent. One reason is due to giardia found in our water. DEADLY!!!!!!!!!!

I love my cats to death, so I will call my vet tomorrow to see if there is anything else I can do for my baby. Thanks for the reply!
Unread 12-20-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome. I too worry myself sick over my cats.

If your kitten's URI is viral she needs to be on l-lysine. L-lysine is an amino acid supplement that controls the herpes virus.

It is not a prescription medication, but of course talk to your vet before starting your kitten on anything you read about on the internet.

I use the pure powder form and put it right in their canned food. It has no taste except slightly salty. A cat with the herpes virus needs to be on l-lysine for life.

What is the treatment for coxidia?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-24-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi!

I am happy to report that my baby is getting better! She still sneezes, but she sounds much better and is running around like crazy! However, my other kitty caught the cold, too. =( I am praying my other two cats do not get it. Btw- I did get some Lysine for the kitties. Thank you for that... I asked my vet. Coxidia is treated with ALBON... it is a 21 day medicine in liquid form. Happy Holidays!
Unread 12-27-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

lucky cat is on a distinguished road

aww i know how u feel i have a resuce kitty that has a crinic resporty infection its rough but just hold on and he or she wil get better as for my kitty its always going to need meds i feel for my kitty want him to getbetter asap i love all cats and hate when they are sick
Unread 01-05-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi_Kitty View Post
Hi!

I am happy to report that my baby is getting better! She still sneezes, but she sounds much better and is running around like crazy! However, my other kitty caught the cold, too. =( I am praying my other two cats do not get it. Btw- I did get some Lysine for the kitties. Thank you for that... I asked my vet. Coxidia is treated with ALBON... it is a 21 day medicine in liquid form. Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the update. I hope all your cats are well now.

please read this first
Unread 01-06-2011   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

Coccidia and other intestinal parasites are very common with kittens and puppies, when mine were kittens most of them had roundworms...with coccidia an important thing to remember is when she has a bowel movement get it out of the litterbox cause if she happens to walk thru it and lick her paw she can reinfest herself. I am glad your kitties are better and welcome...

Tags
adopted , antibiotics , baby , bowel , canned food , cats , cold , crazy , eating , eye , food , found , great , happy , hey , infection , internet , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litterbox , love , morning , paw , play , question , rescue , sick , stop , upper respiratory , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links