It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2010   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi Lu! Lestat was on my mind when I woke up this morning and I've come straight here to wish you both luck!

Let us know as soon as you get the call!

Yes, fasting them can be difficult. My cats don't get fed for at least an hour and a half after I get up, so they don't know when they are being fasted.

Keep us posted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-29-2010   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

Just got the call and Lestat is castrated and all went smooth with the surgery.

BUT I'm freaking out because of the blood tests they performed this morning. Everything was ok , he tested negative for FIV and FELV, except his white cells count which are a bit lower than normal again and that could be related to the panleukopenia he had. He has 5,2 and the lower limit is 5,5. Although he was supposed to be cured and immune to it now, it could be a recurrent situation.

They didn't want to get into more details on the phone and said we will discuss this when I go there at 8 pm.

I don't understand, I mean he's been so healthy, so alert, playful, eating well, just acting normal... what could have gone wrong now? I'll try to find more about the virus on the net this afternoon since I cannot think about anything else anyway.

Nevertheless they will repeat blood tests in 2 days.

I just hope I didn't have a valid reason to be so nervous...

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 12-29-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-29-2010   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

it could be just a fluke, try not to panic (easier said, I know) The test in two days will tell more.

Glad the neuter is over!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-29-2010   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Asleep
StuffAboutCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via twitter to StuffAboutCats

Well I'm glad the neutering went okay. Best wishes on the white blood cell count but like acerIt said, it could be a fluke.
Unread 12-29-2010   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm glad the op went well Lu, and I hope that all else will be well with Lestat. Will check back for more news.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 12-29-2010   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Lu! I hope your boy is home by now.

xxxx!!

please read this first
Unread 12-29-2010   #17 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hi all,

We are both home.

I spent an hour in the vet taking care of all the paperwork and listening to all explanations. Concerning the surgery it was a success and nothing to worry about. Microchip is done too. Tests for FIV and FeLV are negative so that's good news too.

As for the white blood cells count being a bit below the lower limit the vet said it could be normal for Lestat. It's not unusual for some cats as it's not for some people. The average is between 5,5 and 19 but that doesn't mean that normality for Lestat cannot be 5,2. Especially after his disease. That is why he will repeat the blood test on Friday. If it is not lower, then is not something to worry about. It it's lower they will have to run more tests until they find out the cause. But other than that all the other values were normal and he's a perfectly healthy kitten.

He has to wear that thing around his neck for a couple of days, I don't know how you call it. He wasn't happy with it and was bumping into walls and doors but now he seems more used to it and is running around and jumping. This cat won't stay still for one minute! I want him to calm down so I can go to sleep for a while and get some rest but I'm not sure it's going to happen soon... I'm starting to think they gave him speeds instead of a sedative!!

We're going back to the vet on Friday at noon to run a new blood test and for another antibiotic shot (he took one today that lasts for 2 days) and also to check his sutures.

Unread 12-29-2010   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The cone is known as an e-collar or Elizabethan collar. More and more vets seem to want to use these. I have never used one on any cat for a spay, neuter or any other surgery. Even Queen Eva with all her complications did not ever wear an e collar.

Anyway I'm glad he's home safe and sound, and I really think your vet is on track that this is just a normal number for him, but am GLAD that your vet is thorough and wants to recheck rather than just blowing it off. Peace of mind is so important.

Lestat should be feeling back to his own self by tomorrow.

I'll be watching for updates, and Lu, I hope you can get some rest.

xx

please read this first
Unread 12-30-2010   #19 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Gail I don't know about some rest... it's almost 7 am and I still can't sleep because Lestat is so restless.

Is this normal after a neuter? I think it might be the e-collar, he's so upset by using it. But the vet said it would be better to use it because if he doesn't he goes immediately to lick his sutures.

You know how kittens love to sleep for hours and he hasn't slept at all since he came back and I'm so worried because in my mind I think he should be getting some rest but he's just being loud all night bumping into things. Just a few moments ago I was laying on the sofa and he jumped on and tried to cuddled next to me but after a couple of minutes he ran off, he might not be comfortable enough to settle down.

He hates his new litter box with shredded papers, he destroys it and hasn't used yet. I'll call the vet in an hour or so for advice. Maybe it would be better to remove the e-collar or give him something to calm him down, I don't know...

I'm so tired right now... second night without sleep... but I can't rest until I know my baby is feeling well and safe.

I'd like to thank you all for the support as always. It means a lot to me and it really helps in times like this. Especially for a cat noob like me.

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 12-30-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Unread 12-30-2010   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Tolly also gets very restless after anesthesia.

Has Lestat eaten?

I'd take the collar off. If you see him go for the sutures you can always put it back on, but if you are going to be home to watch him, take it off. I think your vet just wants to be overly cautious because of all Lestat has been through already.

Are you using a new litter box with the newspaper, or his usual box? If it's new, I recommend just putting the shredded paper in a box he's already used. If it is his normal box, then he knows what it's for and he will go when he really has to go.

If you think he is having some pain you can ask the vet for a dose of buprenex, though he should be okay pain wise by now.

please read this first

Tags
antibiotic , baby , behaviour , boy , breed , cat , cats , clean , collar , color , crazy , eating , environment , eye , eyes , fast , female , fiv , food , groom , hey , home , house , infection , interesting , jokes , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , lost , male , meowing , mistake , morning , natural , nervous , neutering , night , oops , pet , playing , sleeping , small , stitches , story , surgery , test , turkey , type , upset , vet , vocal , vomiting , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links