It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-30-2010   #1 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Topaz is sick : (

As some of you know, I adopted two senior shelter cats on December 18--Topaz (Male) and his sister, Emerald. Two days ago I wiped some yucky, gooey stuff from Topaz'es right eye. He was eating, purring, and being affectionate, and no vomiting or diarrhea. I thought maybe he got something in his eye. But this morning when he woke up and opened his eyes, he only opened his left eye, and a second later, his right eye opened but it took another couple of seconds for it to open all the way. It does not look as clear as his left eye. He also sticks his tongue out as if something is stuck on the roof of his mouth and he occasionally sneezes and coughs. Anyway, I made a vet appointment for tomorrow at 1:30. I wanted to make it for the morning but the doctor doesn't get there until 1:30 tomorrow. I was thinking maybe the cat has conjunctivitis (pink-eye)??? I don't know if it's contagious, but when it comes to the eyes, I'm not going to take a "wait and see" approach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-31-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I hope Topaz is feeling better soon and his sticky eye is easy to treat.
Let us know what your vet says. You are right to get him seen to straight away.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-31-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh no, I'm so sorry to see this! Good job noticing and getting him an appointment as soon as you can. It could be an URI, or even dental related.

All paws crossed for Topaz, keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-31-2010   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

Any news on Topaz yet? Let us know as soon as possible.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Unread 12-31-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to read about poor Topaz, hoping to hear that it's nothing too serious..

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 12-31-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Post Topaz is sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
As some of you know, I adopted two senior shelter cats on December 18--Topaz (Male) and his sister, Emerald. Two days ago I wiped some yucky, gooey stuff from Topaz'es right eye. He was eating, purring, and being affectionate, and no vomiting or diarrhea. I thought maybe he got something in his eye. But this morning when he woke up and opened his eyes, he only opened his left eye, and a second later, his right eye opened but it took another couple of seconds for it to open all the way. It does not look as clear as his left eye. He also sticks his tongue out as if something is stuck on the roof of his mouth and he occasionally sneezes and coughs. Anyway, I made a vet appointment for tomorrow at 1:30. I wanted to make it for the morning but the doctor doesn't get there until 1:30 tomorrow. I was thinking maybe the cat has conjunctivitis (pink-eye)??? I don't know if it's contagious, but when it comes to the eyes, I'm not going to take a "wait and see" approach.
HI AuntKitty I hope your little Topaz is doing better I think your kitty has URI an Conjunctivitis (RAW RED EYE) happy to hear you are taking him to the vet. in your post you ask is if conjunctivitis is contagious? yes it is highly contagious. Get a can of Lysol Disinfectant Spray it will kill conjunctivitis spray around litter box where your cats sleeps eats an plays if you have an A/C unit spray the filter an ask your vet for a tub of Terramycin eye cream it will clear up raw red eye I hope this help.

Take care
Happy Hippie =^..^=

Looking into a cats eye is a window to your soul.
Unread 12-31-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. Forgive me if I sound stupid but what is a URI? The vet told me that when cat's get old (he said Topaz is about 13) their eye sometimes goes in deeper. (I don't know if I am explaining it right). In other words, one eye is up against the eyelid like it is supposed to be and the eye that is giving him trouble is deeper. He gave me gentimycin. The vet also found that Topaz has a heart murmer and is anemic. He took blood and we should know more as to why he is anemic Monday. Poor little guy has been through so much. I can't believe someone would put him and his sister in a closed-up box during a heat spell in July with no food or water and just leave them there. And they've been in a cage ever since then, just waiting and waiting for someone to come along and adopt them. Well, they adopted ME. You should have seen the fuss they made when I came up to their cage. They kept reaching their paw out to me and wouldn't let me leave. And they've been purring and loving me ever since I took them home on December 18th.

Unread 12-31-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

I was just coming in for an update!

URI= Upper Respiratory Infection. It can be bacterial (responds to antibiotics) or viral (does not respond to antibiotics)

Did your vet say what grade the heart murmur is? Heart murmurs in older cats are not uncommon and are not always serious. Ootay(rb) lived for may years with a grade 3 heart murmur that never caused her any trouble.

Gentimicin is usually used for gram negative bacterial infections. (e coli or salmonella for example). Did the vet do a stain test on his eye? I haven't heard of a sunken eye problem in senior cats before, so am interested in hearing more about it. I do know that when cats are dehydrated they get a sunken eye look.

I don't know much about the causes of anemia in cats other than from fleas and from cats eating garlic or onions, so I will be watching for more news on that too.

Keep us posted on the blood work. I wonder if his kidneys are starting to fail. Even if that is the case, there is MUCH that can be done for him to keep him with a good quality of life for a long time, and I can help you through it.

You are the Jewels' Angel, Aunt Kitty, they Chose you very clearly, but you allowed yourself to be chosen which makes you a Hero.

I've been hoping for an update on how they are settling in with Magic and Midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippie View Post
HI AuntKitty I hope your little Topaz is doing better I think your kitty has URI an Conjunctivitis (RAW RED EYE) happy to hear you are taking him to the vet. in your post you ask is if conjunctivitis is contagious? yes it is highly contagious. Get a can of Lysol Disinfectant Spray it will kill conjunctivitis spray around litter box where your cats sleeps eats an plays if you have an A/C unit spray the filter an ask your vet for a tub of Terramycin eye cream it will clear up raw red eye I hope this help.

Take care
Happy Hippie =^..^=

Looking into a cats eye is a window to your soul.
Conjunctivitis in cats is usually caused by the herpes virus, and while contagious, as long as any other cats are up to date on their FVRCPC vaccines it is very unlikely that they will catch it.

Even if no bacterial infection is present, antibiotics are often prescribed to guard against it, but antibiotics will not cure a viral eye infection.

Eye ointments of any kind should never ever be used on cats that have not been prescribed by the vet after a proper diagnostic examination.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-31-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Unread 01-01-2011   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

Wow, Gail, you just gave me a ton of useful information. The vet first wiped Topaz'es eye, but since I knew nothing about a stain test I didn't take notice of what he did with the gauze pad afterwards. Did he just throw it out or did he test it--I don't know. But one thing I DO know is that you seem to be more knowledgeable than alot of vets. I've been reading alot of the posts on this forum since I joined and it seems that alot of vets don't do the proper testing.
Anyway I will ask him Monday if he did a stain test. One thing I brought to the vet's attention is that when I first got Topaz, he kept making noises like he was going to bring up a hairball or something but nothing came up. Then he would stick out his tongue as if something was stuck on the roof of his mouth. The vet looked thoroughly in his mouth and throat and found nothing. Topaz doesn't seem to be doing that much anymore.
Topaz has a problem with trust. When I first got the Jewels, he is the one that hid under the bed and would run away when he saw me. It took him a long time to trust me and to roll on his back and let me rub his belly. But now, just when he really got to trust me, I had to hold him down in the "hold position" that you taught me, so I could put the eye drops in his eye. Anyway, the poor cat got so scared that he hid under the bed again and still won't come out, even for a treat. Any time I go near him he runs away like he did when I first got him. So it's like a catch-22. And I don't know what to do. It just breaks my heart that he's scared and lost his trust in me. He's been through so much. I can't imagine how he and his sister felt closed up in a dark box in the middle of summer with no food or water. So I can understand he has trust issues. But if I DON"T give him the eye drops, then he will get worse. Any advice?
Anyway, the good news is that I woke up and found Mr. Midnight asleep on my bed, and Emerald was sleeping a few inches away from him in the bed. Magic still sometimes hisses, but not nearly as much.

Unread 01-01-2011   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Asleep
StuffAboutCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via twitter to StuffAboutCats

Oh no, I'm so sad to hear about Topaz! But I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything too serious, not like he's going blind or something.

Good luck with the eye drops. If it were me, I would keep giving them to him and work on the trust. He needs the drops!
The Following User Says Thank You to StuffAboutCats For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , advice , affectionate , antibiotics , belly , black , bowel , box , care , cat , cat toys , cat's , catching , cats , diarrhea , eating , eye , eyes , fever , food , found , happy , heart murmur , heat , hey , home , infection , kitty , litter , litter box , lost , loving , male , morning , moving , paw , play , present , raw , sad , scared , senior , shelter , shelter cats , sick , sleeping , small , story , surgery , thoughts , vet , vomit , vomiting , water , window

Sponsored Cat Links