It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road
Default mikey ate jonesys meds!

I've just had to phone the vet cos mikey got a hold of the treat with jonesys phenobarbitol and gulped it right down before i could get it away! the vet said he wont come to any harm but that he will be a bit sleepy today.

My husband usually gives mikey a treat while i am giving jonesy her tablet but he was'nt here this morning so i threw mikeys treat in the living room and as i was throwing jonesys treat with the tablet in the bathroom, and about to close the door, mikey ran in like a rabbit down a hole and was so quick i couldnt stop him in time.

thankfully he will be okay but i really panicked there, im gonna have to be really careful that never happens again, will always have to separate them in different rooms if im doing it on my own dont want to go through that again! He is fast asleep just now but i keep checking him all the time to see if he is okay!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Whoa how scary for you! You know what....don't feel bad about yourself, I've done the same thing more than once, but even worse, I actually GAVE the wrong cat the phenobarbital, LOL.

This was years ago when Tolly was just starting out on it, and it was only a 1/4 tablet; 3.25 mg. I had another cat on antibiotics at the time, and I got mixed up somehow and gave Tolly the antibiotic and Bibbs(rb) the phenobarbital.

Mikey may not show any symptoms at all from just the one dose, or, like your vet said he may be a little sleepy.

I have also on occasion given the wrong cat food with medicine in it, that's how I found out Jennie can't take clavamox. Mazy was on clavamox for a UTI, and she thinks it's a yummy treat so I put it right in her food.

I gave the food to Jennie instead, and before I realized it Jennie had eaten the food in about two gulps, so it was too late. Ten minutes later she vomited, violently, so at least I knew then they if ever she needs antibiotics she can't have clavamox. .

We're all human, anyway. Will you be home to keep an eye on him today?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-05-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

thanks gail, that's put a bit of perspective on things! yeah im home all day, cant say i've noticed him sleepy though, still running around crazy as usual!

at least i know i wont have any trouble giving mikey pills if he ever needs any! (fingers crossed i wont need to find out, one cat on pills is enough!)
Unread 01-05-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Wow that must have given you a fright Jan, glad Mikeys ok - what a little devil can't take our eyes off them..

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 01-05-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

yeah heidi, i did panic a bit, he is so fast when theres treats going, the greedy wee bandit, he he.
Unread 01-06-2011   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

I am glad your baby is ok, they are so fast. I cam home from work one day to discover that my now ex husband had left 8 or so of his pills just laying on the dresser. I called him at work in a panic to verify how many he had and he felt bad for leaving them there. Thank god they didnt see them. He also had done it again. I was not happy but thats another story and he is now my ex so.....

Tags
another cat , antibiotics , baby , cat , cat food , crazy , eye , eyes , fast , food , found , happy , hey , home , morning , pills , scary , stop , story , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links