It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

little gnome is on a distinguished road
Default what could be wrong with our little one

one of our lovely cats has suddenly become quite ill and also behaving extremely odd.
hes two years old and normally full of beans and constantly in and out the house chasing his brother and vice versa.
about three weeks ago all this play seemed to stop and he went off his food a bit. we changed brand after brand to no avail . we did notice a couple of episodes of sick in the house but put that down to diet change.
then two days ago he realy changed and suddenly became extremely nervous and scared . every little noise or sudden movement we made he would nearly leap out of his skin.... i constantly petted him and reassured him but he was still very scared... so unlike him !
then the bad thing happend on monday evening just before bed .... my wife screamed and said booboos having a fit . i ran in and he was violently convulsing on the floor all legs twitching/kicking and frothing at the mouth. it was horrendous and i was helpless. it lasted for about a minute then he came round panting for breath. i petted him for about 15minutes and he seemed to just want to be on his own so we reluctantly went off to bed .
i the morning i opened the door and he jumped with fright even though he could see me coming through the glass door.then sadly again he had another mini seizure lasting about 20 seconds but nothing as violent as the night before.
we took him to the vet when it opened and told her everything.... she examined him and said he looks perfectly fit , his eyes a little slow to react but overall fit and she said it could be epilepsy. she tried to take his blood for multiple tests but he would have none of it . there was me a vets assistant and the vet all trying to hold him but she couldnt draw enough blood into the syringe.
they have asked us to take him in the morning so they can take him to their hostpital and do the blood tests .
we are all very nervous and scared ourselves as hes one of our little boys we cherrish and hope he will be ok
have any of you guys experinced anything like this with your cats before !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

OMG, you poor things, and poor Booboo, what an awful thing to experience I'm sorry to reply without offering any help, but just wanted to say of course you have done the right thing taking the little fella to the vets, I hope it goes better tomorrow and they can find out and resolve what is wrong.

Maybe others with some experience will be able to help, but just wanted to offer my support
Keep us posted, please

Heidi xx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-06-2011   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

Poor little thing. Does he go outside?, and the bloodwork will help show as far as any problems with his organs that could be the result of a toxin. Taking him to the vet was a very good desicion and hopefully your vet can find out whats going on. Cats symptoms can come on so suddenly it seems cause cats mask their symptoms very well. I really hope and pray your kitty is ok...keep us posted...
Unread 01-12-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

little gnome is on a distinguished road

a nice update our little booboo is a tonns better . he is now racing round the house chasing his brother and fighting and hes eating all his food .
we had blood test results back yesterday and vet said he had liver and pancreas infection possibly caused by licking or drinking something toxic.
vet gave him antibiotic injections and he seems so much better now.
Unread 01-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

So glad for the good news, that is great to hear Thanks for letting us know that all is well with Booboo. So many times people post when they are worried and never let us know the outcome!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 01-13-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

donika_hell is on a distinguished road

Hi, congratulations for your cat getting better. There is nothing best than your pet be in perfect fit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 01-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by little gnome View Post
a nice update our little booboo is a tonns better . he is now racing round the house chasing his brother and fighting and hes eating all his food .
we had blood test results back yesterday and vet said he had liver and pancreas infection possibly caused by licking or drinking something toxic.
vet gave him antibiotic injections and he seems so much better now.
Thanks for the follow up. I recommend you now keep your cats inside. Either someone is laying down poison, or there is something your cat is eating or getting into. If you have gone all over your house and not found anything, it is coming from outside.

I hope BooBoo has a nice long happy healthy life now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 01-15-2011   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Poor Booboo!!!! I am glad Boobo is doing better, and you were smart to bring her right to the vet. I totally agree with Gail--[please keep her INSIDE. It might be hard at first but at least she'll be safe. Cats love the tast of antifreeze--it tastes sweet to them and can KILL them. Maybe, as Gail says, someoneis putting down some kind of poison and Boobo is getting into it. Whatever it is, she will be safer inside.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 01-15-2011   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Kharru is on a distinguished road

I have not have a cat like this before, but if your kitten is outside often, and seems to have been in a fight, he could have FIV. I don't believe it is deadly, if you're careful with him, but it can easily spread to other cats in the house through blood contact. My friend had a kitten with FIV, and they had to put him down, but only because they had many other cats in the house. I hope your baby will be okay.

Last edited by Kharru; 01-15-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Or it could be toxin, since the blood sample came in. Ask your vet, I'm not an expert.
Unread 01-16-2011   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharru View Post
I have not have a cat like this before, but if your kitten is outside often, and seems to have been in a fight, he could have FIV. I don't believe it is deadly, if you're careful with him, but it can easily spread to other cats in the house through blood contact. My friend had a kitten with FIV, and they had to put him down, but only because they had many other cats in the house. I hope your baby will be okay.
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your information on FIV is not quite accurate.

FIV is a fatal disease, there is no cure. However many cats live long happy lives with this disease. They do need special care, must be kept inside and not exposed to strange cats.

FIV is not easily spread, even through blood contact. FIV is spread through deep bite wounds of the type that come from serious fighting. Otherwise, the only way a cat would have FIV is if he got it from his mother during birth.

Other cats already in the household are not at risk unless they fight with the FIV cat, but they should be kept inside too, so they don't spread germs to the FIV positive kitty.

please read this first

Tags
antibiotic , birth , bite , cat , cats , changed , diet , eating , eyes , fight , fighting , food , found , great , hey , house , infection , kitten , kitty , licking , love , morning , nervous , nice , night , pet , play , poison , problems , scared , sick , smart , stop , test , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links