It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-06-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Ear wax or ear mites - how can you tell the difference?

Hi all,

A friend of mine phoned me last night concerned because her 3 months old kitten has her ears filled with black stuff. I could not tell her for sure it is just ear wax and to clean it off and everything will be ok. Could it be mites?

How can you tell the difference really? Can such a young kitten produce that much wax that would have her ears all dark? My friend says that she scratches the ears a lot and also shakes her head often. But I read that those could both be symptoms for wax or mites. Should she go to the vet? And are mites contagious to other cats?

For example, Lestat does not produce a lot of wax, I clean his ears like once a month but there's not much to clean really. They are never dirty and I never see any dark spots. I just do it as a routine.

I'd like to help her and give her advice but until now I didn't have that problem.

Thanks for any advice or suggestion you might have.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-06-2011   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

I would take her to the vet. Kittens usually dont get ear infections. Dark debris sounds like it could definetly be mites and yes they can jump to other cats. Sometimes if there are alot u may be able to see them crawling around. The way its diagnosed is that a swab is taken and looked under the microscope if critters are moving around then its mites. Either way u want to get it treated. No they wont jump to humans. milbe mite is something the vet may use to treat the mites. It goes right into the ear canal. Hope this helps, let me know....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vanakin For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-06-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Agree with vanakin. Could be mites, could be yeast, could be a combination of mites, yeast, and bacterial infection.

You don't want to mess around with ear problems. My Mazy cat had an untreated yeast infection for I have no idea how long, it was raging when I adopted her from a shelter when she was six months old, I took her to the vet the next day, but she has had long lasting effects from that infection by way of chronic ear problems.

Tresaderm is a permanent fixture in my refrigerator.

I know another kitty who has similar trouble, her chronic problems come from untreated mites.

Let us know how your friend's kitten is doing. I guess you are known as the kitty authority among your friends now,Lu, isn't that fun?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-07-2011   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Let us know how your friend's kitten is doing. I guess you are known as the kitty authority among your friends now,Lu, isn't that fun?
It's even more fun(ny) since I feel yet so clueless when it comes to kitties health issues. LOL I guess it's just because they know I am very conscious, observing and serious and it comes to the health of my kitten.

OK I took a wild guess and followed a strong feeling I had that my kitten was not ok when for everybody else he seemed fine and it turned out he was starting to show off the first signs (usually not detected by owners) of panleukopenia, but I was just very lucky. I just "listened" to my motherly instinct that something was wrong and rushed to the vet. And therefore they might think they I can guess what goes on with their own pets. I've had a cat for just 3 months, that's nothing compared to you who are really an expert in all subjects.

Thanks both of you for the advice, I'll tell my friend to go to the vet. I asked if it's contagious to other cats because she was planning to go visit the breeder this weekend and her kitten would be in contact with a lot of cats and kittens. So I'll tell her to postpone that and go to the vet instead.

Unread 01-07-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

missiee1975 is on a distinguished road

yes it ear mite
Unread 01-07-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu_Bloodmoon View Post
It's even more fun(ny) since I feel yet so clueless when it comes to kitties health issues. LOL I guess it's just because they know I am very conscious, observing and serious and it comes to the health of my kitten.

OK I took a wild guess and followed a strong feeling I had that my kitten was not ok when for everybody else he seemed fine and it turned out he was starting to show off the first signs (usually not detected by owners) of panleukopenia, but I was just very lucky. I just "listened" to my motherly instinct that something was wrong and rushed to the vet. And therefore they might think they I can guess what goes on with their own pets. I've had a cat for just 3 months, that's nothing compared to you who are really an expert in all subjects.

Thanks both of you for the advice, I'll tell my friend to go to the vet. I asked if it's contagious to other cats because she was planning to go visit the breeder this weekend and her kitten would be in contact with a lot of cats and kittens. So I'll tell her to postpone that and go to the vet instead.
Lu, listening to your instincts is always the right thing to do when it comes to our cats. They can't talk, so we have to observe carefully, and as they are masters at hiding illness and pain by instinctual genetics, if you think something is wrong, it's best to act on it.

I don't believe in "wait and see". I'd rather pay the office visit fee and be told nothing's wrong than spend the next week worrying, and then risk being too late.

I can't bear the uncertainty and worry, and it's better for kitty too, because even if it is a slight problem, the sooner it is detected the better the prognosis..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 01-07-2011   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I totally agree with you Gail. I also prefer to pay for the vet to hear them say it's nothing then not going or going too late.

When Lestat got ill the vet told me that taking him so soon was the difference between life and death for him, being so young and tiny they usually do not survive because they dehydrate so fast (like human babies) that in some cases they can die in just 24 hours.

I have a friend which cat had the same disease just before xmas but unfortunately the vet did not diagnose panleukopenia right away and sent the kitten back home with an antibiotic to wait and see (if the vet had run blood tests at the time they had knew right away). The kitten didn't get better of course and went back to the vet 4 days later... he was already in such a bad shape, was hospitalized for 8 days but unfortunately didn't make it.

Regarding my friend, I'm not sure she will take her kitten to the vet, now she says it's not a lot of black stuff, just a few spots... If I were her I would go anyway because if the kitten is scratching and shaking her head a lot something must be wrong. I'll let you know the result in case she goes tonight or tomorrow.

Unread 01-07-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Lu I hope you can exert some influence and convince your friend.

Remind her of this:

Quote:
You don't want to mess around with ear problems. My Mazy cat had an untreated yeast infection for I have no idea how long, it was raging when I adopted her from a shelter when she was six months old, I took her to the vet the next day, but she has had long lasting effects from that infection by way of chronic ear problems.
One spot or twenty spots, it's all the same, a problem will not get better by itself, it will get worse and the longer it goes on, the more difficult and more expensive it is to treat.

A vet visit now can save hundreds of dollars in the long run. Mazy will have trouble all her life, and the vet costs associated with her chronic problems have not been minor. All because she had an ear problem that went untreated until I took her home.

And the bottom line is that kitten is probably very uncomfortable. Poor baby should not have to be forced to suffer while the human dilly dallies.

please read this first
Unread 01-07-2011   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

I agree about going to the vet. No one knows their cat better then their momma and cats can feel apin just like people. Gail u r right about it being our responsiblity as owners to do the right things for them. My cats are my kids being I never had any and I love them so much and would never part with them..not even for 1 billion dollars. I hate to see when people say well they are just cats because they are not. My cats bring me more comfort than anything and its because of them that I am still here after things that have happened in last 3 years. I would never abandon and after a bad 2007 when my dad died suddenly and husband said he wanted a divorce few months later I never thought I would make it and I have. The reason being is my babies helped me thru it. Sorry to ramble and hijack thread but it felt good to say this.
Unread 01-08-2011   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Vanakin,

I understand what you are saying. A few years ago I went through a dark period of my life and I had no interest at all in continuing to be in this world, I felt like I was doing nothing here. The only thing that kept me focused and hanging on was my dog, who I loved so much and she was so precious to me that I could no leave her. She depended on me for everything and who would take care of her? No one would treat her better than me for sure. Those thoughts made me change my attitude and find the will to fight against a nasty depression and see the bright side of life again. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't know...

I convinced my friend at least to call the veterinarian hospital (same as mine) and explain the symptoms and then see what they would advise. They said to bring the kitten over to be examined because it could be an infection or something that needed treatment. So she went there today at 1 pm. I'm going to call her now to get more details. So far I just know it's some kind of bacteria.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lu_Bloodmoon For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , advice , antibiotic , art , babies , black , breeder , cat , cats , clean , collar , fast , fight , friends , fun , health , hey , hiding , home , infection , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , lucky , mess , mites , moving , neutering , night , problem , problems , save , scratching , shelter , smart , thoughts , uncomfortable , vet , wild

Sponsored Cat Links