It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2011   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

felix is on a distinguished road
Default Recurring Cystitis- advice needed

My soon to be 17yr old mackerel girl has developed a case of recurring cystitis which started at the beginning of December.
She has been on cystaid caps constantly, twice daily for 3wks, and Synolux antibiotics(2 doses daily for 14 days) twice now. each time she appears to be back to normal and then the cystitis is back within the fortnight.
She is on a 3x daily wet sensitive stomach diet, & takes 1
steriod(prednisolone)daily. She does have existing liver problems due to age deterioration.
Before i contact the vet again, is there anything anyone can suggest. Anything would be helpful, as this is very distressing for Madison, who is a very graceful old lady.
Thank you
Dawne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-09-2011   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

I wish I could give you better advice i mean u can try to encourage her to drink more. Bless her heart for being almost 17yrs old. Cystitis can be painful so I would suggest contacting your vet to see if they have any alternatives ar any other ideas as to how to help her. Gail might have some advice too, she is spot on with her advice. Keep me posted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-09-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome (back) to the forum! I'm sorry your beloved senior kitty is having this problem.

What are the existing liver problems and what is being done for that? The liver is a regenerative organ, I'm not sure what you mean by "age deterioration". There are supplements that can help the liver heal itself. Denosyl (milk thistle) or Denamarin (milk thistle and sam-e) are both excellent supplements to help support and repair liver function.

What about her kidneys? Often urinary tract problems can originate with kidney problems.

Is she taking cosequin for cats? This can help support the bladder walls and keep inflammation down. There are some who say it doesn't work, but I believe it does. It can help with any arthritis too, of course.

Install some feliway plug in diffusers to help reduce stress. Stress plays a large part in feline UT problems.

I would be giving her sub q fluids, to help keep her bladder flushed out. I'm not sure how much or how often...at first maybe 75-100 ml daily until the problem is under control, then a few times a week....

But I would also urge you to discuss laser therapy with your vet. Laser therapy is not just for doggie arthritis any more, it can be used for many things and chronic feline cystitis is one of them. It is non invasive, does not hurt and is drug free.

If your vet is not open to any of these ideas, find another vet. IN fact, a second opinion should be gotten in any case since it appears your vet is at a loss.

Here is the link to the laser therapy my vet uses. Scroll down to see kitty benefits. It's not expensive,(at my vet, $41 for three sessions.) Even if your vet does not have a laser machine, s/he can refer you to a place that does.

Applications of the Companion Therapy LaserĀ® System Companion Therapy Laser

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-09-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Unread 01-09-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for that. I take it youre in America Gail. I think the vetinary treatments are way more advanced than in rural UK.
Madison had a severe liver/gall bladder infection this time last year, but the vetinary practice we were with gave her incorrect treatment, therefore damaging her liver(probably due to being treated by students rather than trained vets)
We since changed to a wonderful village vet, the one we use for rescued cats(I work for the cats protection).
She transformed our scraggy thin cat to a well rounded, bright eyed puss.She has bloods checked every two months, but so far has been recovering. She had a UTI in December,
which was treated, but was found to have underlying cystitis.
Will mention Cosequin to vet.Thats quite new here. Isnt that glucosamine/chondriotin? Would that need to replace the Prednisolone as an anti-inflammatory, or to be taken alongside?
Dawne

Unread 01-09-2011   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

The cosequin is for joints and works very well but I would still check with your vet before you give her anything. Animal veterinary technology is really amazing as far as to what they can do. Here in the states there wa a cat that had a kidney transplant.....I knew gail would help.....
Unread 01-10-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Thanks for that. I take it youre in America Gail. I think the vetinary treatments are way more advanced than in rural UK.
Madison had a severe liver/gall bladder infection this time last year, but the vetinary practice we were with gave her incorrect treatment, therefore damaging her liver(probably due to being treated by students rather than trained vets)
We since changed to a wonderful village vet, the one we use for rescued cats(I work for the cats protection).
She transformed our scraggy thin cat to a well rounded, bright eyed puss.She has bloods checked every two months, but so far has been recovering. She had a UTI in December,
which was treated, but was found to have underlying cystitis.
Will mention Cosequin to vet.Thats quite new here. Isnt that glucosamine/chondriotin? Would that need to replace the Prednisolone as an anti-inflammatory, or to be taken alongside?
Dawne

Yes the cosequin is the glucosamine/chondriotin/msn supplement. It's been found that it can help with cystitis and FLUTD in cats also. But as Vanakin says don't start anything without discussing it with the attending vet, even a harmless supplement.

I don't know if that would allow her to go off the prednisolone. You probably know but I will mention for general purposes that a steroid should never be stopped suddenly, it has to be tapered down very slowly.

I forgot you are in the UK. I think you may not have laser therapy treatment over there yet. I understand she needs an anti-inflammatory for the cystitis.

In general I am adamantly against the use of metacam (meloxicam) in cats. But at her age, if it is a matter of quality of life, you might consider it for her to relieve her pain and inflammation. Especially since her kidneys seem healthy.

I do urge you to have your vet get you started with sub q fluids at home. That can go a long way toward keeping her comfortable, and...if she goes on metacam, keeping her kidneys healthy.

Please keep us posted on Madison.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-10-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 01-10-2011   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Before I speak to my vet I do have another question.
Alongside the prednisolone Maddi takes for her arthritis( I
agree with you on opinion of metacam), She has been taking 2 Cystaid capsules daily for a week( her twin brother minstrel has taken these for years- he was diagnosed with recurring cystitis age 9- cystaid once daily, plus R/C urinary O/S seems to keep it at bay) Would the cystaid capsules not be having the same effect as cosequin as their base ingredient is also glucosamine, or is the cosequin more effective?
Dawne

Unread 01-10-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Dawne, I don't know. I didn't know that cystaid was a glucosamine supplement for the cystitis, for some reason I thought it was a urine acidifier. My mistake for not looking it up.

But the cosequin has more in it than just glucosamine, it also has chondriotin and msn for the arthritis. So, to me it would make sense that if you started the cosequin to help with the arthritis pain, you would not need to use the cystaid too.

I'm just guessing though, so let us know what your vet says about it.

So the prednisolone is for her arthritis, not the UT inflammation? In that case......

I wonder....do you have adequan injections over there? Adequan is also a very effective arthritis treatment for cats. I considered it for my Ootay, but that was back when the injections were still being done intramuscularly. Now they are done subcutaneously, which is so much better (not painful like it was in the muscle)

please read this first
Unread 01-11-2011   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Ditto on the metacam....
Unread 01-12-2011   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Actually, id forgotten all about Adequan. My old puss Greycat had adequan injections for arthritis & hip displaysia for 4yrs until she died(brain tumor at age 20)
When I noticed Maddi had signs of arthritis, she was prescribed Metacam. After I refused the vet then prescribed prednisolone.
Maddi needs to have bloods checked next month. I will have a chat with the vet then.
I have been diluting Madds wet food for a couple of days & she is enjoying it more. I have also been monitoring her fluid input/output & she appears to be stabilising(fingers crossed).I have also been sharing Minstrels urinary biscuits with her- she really likes those(unfortunately, so do the others). I have to hide them in the spare room as Darcie-lu, our Maine Coon, can open cupboards.
Dawne

Tags
advice , age , amazing , animal , antibiotics , art , bladder , cat , cats , changed , diet , food , found , free , girl , healthy , hey , home , hurt , infection , kitty , laser , loss , maine coon , mistake , night , opinion , problem , problems , question , senior , stress , urine , uti , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links