It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-17-2011   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Dramatic weight loss

I have 3 cats, one of them was always quite fat - so much that his belly dragged on the ground and would wag like the undersides of Oprah's arms. He is neutered, and about 12 years old. Up until about 18 months ago, he was always quite hostile, wouldn't allow anyone to pick him up, and would swat visciously at you if you even touched him. Since then, his weight has dropped from about 24 pounds to 12 pounds. He's like a skeleton covered with skin and fur. Ironically, he is now VERY affectionate. He loves to be cuddled as much as possible, he purrs, begs for anything I eat - though I limit the amount of "people" food I give him. He likes any type of meat, and will even eat some egg and cheese and taste pasta. He also likes to lick up gravy and sauce. He LOVES pounce kitty treats. He seems to be eating plenty, and isn't in any pain. He is extremely weak, and a bit clumsy - although he can still jump well and climb on top of things. I can feel every rib and vertabrae in his body - as well as every other bone such as shoulder blades, etc. Every couple of days he gets a spurt of energy and runs around the house. There are no tapeworms. He hardly ever pukes anymore. It's almost like the Stephen King story "Thinner" in which an obese guy is cursed and keeps looking more and more and more weight.

What could the problem be?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-17-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your cat is sick and needs to see the vet. In the first place sudden weight loss, especially from an overweight cat, causes liver disease. If caught in time it is reversible, if not stopped, it is fatal, but the reason for the weight loss needs to be found too.

Could be hyperthyroid, kidney failure, diabetes, or something else entirely. Please bring your cat to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-17-2011   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I was planning on going to a vet. Convincing my dad of that will be tough though. He won't even pay to have my medical problems addressed... but might have more luck with kitty though.

The most ironic thing is... that cat is happier and friendlier now than he's ever been. Another ironic thing.. another cat I have GAINED a tremendous amount of weight in the last year. But he has an excuse.. he was being much too agressive and shredded my arms with his claws (permanent scars) and punctured a vein in my arm causing a geyser of blood that resulted in a scene like OJ Simpson on that porch... so..he got neutered and his aggression almost vanished - but he also increased in body weight 50%. He's like a live teddy bear now.

Last edited by shuranda; 01-17-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
affectionate , aggression , agressive , another cat , belly , cat , cats , claws , diabetes , eating , egg , food , found , fur , house , hyper , kitty , loss , medical , overweight , pounce , problem , problems , sick , story , type , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links