It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-08-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Gingivitis

I swear Lestat gets diseases just to go visit his favourite vets and nurses (they are all women) at the vet hospital. Saturday is grooming day for Lestat and that includes all from fur brushing to ear cleaning, eye cleaning, claw trimming, etc. He is all checked up, I literally turn him upside down to watch closely every spot and see if everything seems normal. THEN I noticed his gums were a bit more pinkish near his teeth and seemed a bit inflamed so I decided to take him to the vet yesterday.

He has a mild gingivitis which is in an early stage. He doesn't have any tartar or anything. The vet explained that sometimes the cause can be FIV or FeLV but he's negative to both so that's not it. She then said some cats just have more tendency to have gingivitis than others and apparently it's not that uncommon in cats.

He will eat a special Dental Care kibble from Royal Canin and go back to the vet in a month for re-evaluation. He will eat this dental food twice a week, instead his regular food. So on Wednesdays and Sundays instead of his normal food I will feed him the dental care one. For now I'm just mixing a few kibbles to make the transition and get him used to it. The vet gave me 2 free samples and I ordered 1 pack because they didn't have any at the moment. They are much larger bits than normal food to make him chew and bite more because inside there's some stuff (forgot the name) that will help treat the gingivitis.

Then we'll see if he'll be ok or if it's a recurrent situation. In case he has a tendency to always have gingivitis, I may have to give him this kibble once a week always.

The vet said that this is just a mild case caught at such an early stage it's still reversible and there's no tartar plaque (the dental care kibble will prevent that too). There's no periodontal disease, no plasmacytic-lymphocytic stomatitis. Nothing serious for me to worry about. Just something simple to treat.

I really hope he'll be ok in one month and this doesn't come back. But if it does, can it become serious? Does anyone have experience with this?

Should I start to worry?

P.S. The lady at the reception charged me the vet fee but I also bought a product to clean his ears called Otoclear or OtoClean, which she forgot to include. When she realized the mistake, she said to me: "Nah, that's ok, I won't charge you for that. You've spent so much already in this hospital." That made me laugh and is so true. I must be in their top clients! I have Lestat for 4 months only and I've been to the vet a million times already. That's why everyone knows him so well there.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 02-08-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-08-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh no I'm so sorry. Stomatitis was my first thought upon reading the title. I do hope it doesn't come to that.

Please keep us updated on Lestat. Good job getting him right in. Someone should shut that breeder down. Dental health is genetic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-08-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks for the concern Gail.

In this case it's not the breeder's fault. It's common in this breed.

"Like us humans, the Chartreux cat also may have teeth problems. When the set of adult teeth start coming out the old ones may be pushed out of line, and another dental problem that occurs is gingivitis; so it is precautionary and recommended to take the Chartreux cat to the vet often."

I remember reading something about it when we were deciding to get a Chartreux.

But I never thought it could become something so serious as stomatitis for example. I just started to do some research after coming from the vet.

The vet told me not to panic and that this was something that we could easily control. Let's see how it evolves...

Unread 02-08-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, it is common in this breed, as is severe stomatitis. I don't know enough about breeding and genetics to know if it is something that can be prevented in breeding practices, but still...it makes me fume.

Being me I can't help thinking of all the cats out there this breeder has sold who don't end up with someone like you. I need to let it go, but I just get so angry at these blasted "breeders" and it is only one of the reasons why I am against all breeding. Your Lestat being the exception of course.

You can ask your vet if brushing with c.e.t, paste every day will help with prevention (and I promise to now stay off my soap box in Lestat's threads.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-08-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
You can ask your vet if brushing with c.e.t, paste every day will help with prevention (and I promise to now stay off my soap box in Lestat's threads.)
Thanks for the advice, I will ask about that paste.

And please don't stay off. I always like your opinions and you are free to speak your mind and also criticize. I will always respect that.

This time I'm not angry at his breeder because he could have come from another breeder and still have the same problem. Sometimes these genetic problems are caused from excessive breeding which is not the case with Chartreux since they are rather rare cats. But I'm no expert in this matter of course.

The number of breeders is not very large and the cat is even rare in France, where he originates from. There are only 3 breeders in Portugal for example and the waiting list is huge and you can wait up to one year or even more to have a kitten available. So it's not like there's a Chartreux factory in every corner (like it happens with some other breeds). There was a lady from Singapore that ordered two kittens from Portugal because she couldn't get it anywhere else.

I will try to learn more about these breeding and genetics connections.

I know most breeds have some genetics problems. Labradors have tendency for Hip Dysplasia, mine didn't have it fortunately but it's very common in that breed. Chartreux are known for gingivitis and kneecap problems. I will have him screened for kneecap soon too. I believe that being ahead of the problem is always an advantage. That's why as soon as I noticed a change in his gums colour I rushed to the vet.

So I cannot say I was not aware, I knew these problems could arise and I wanted this cat anyway. And he will receive the best treatment available. I just want the best for him and when I say I worry is because I want him to feel well and not to feel pain or discomfort ever.

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 02-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Unread 03-17-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Amused
Yvohcna is on a distinguished road

Hi Lestat's servant (funny, but probably true)
It's great to see other cat people who want to help their kitty with issues before they become big health problems. I like to try the more gentle natural products before I go the medicine route. Less side effects and all. When our cat was having a weight problem we put her on some Chinese herbs and she didn't have any side effects at all but the herbs worked. I know the company has some Chinese herbal medicine called dental care that can help the reddish swollen gums and also be preventative against future infection, so you might want to check it out. We got ours from Pet Herb Store.com and they were not that expensive.
Unread 03-17-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvohcna View Post
Hi Lestat's servant (funny, but probably true)
It's great to see other cat people who want to help their kitty with issues before they become big health problems. I like to try the more gentle natural products before I go the medicine route. Less side effects and all. When our cat was having a weight problem we put her on some Chinese herbs and she didn't have any side effects at all but the herbs worked. I know the company has some Chinese herbal medicine called dental care that can help the reddish swollen gums and also be preventative against future infection, so you might want to check it out. We got ours from Pet Herb Store.com and they were not that expensive.

Hi there Yvoncha and welcome to the forum! "Natural" does not mean "safe". Herbs can have side affects too.

And not a lot is known about how cats react to certain herbs and things, it can be very dangerous to give your cat these things. I am glad they helped your cat but am compelled to say that no one should give their cat anything that has not been prescribed by or at least approve by the attending vet.

Lu: We'd love to have an update on Lestat!

please read this first
Unread 03-18-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Amused
Yvohcna is on a distinguished road

Hi Gail,
Yes, I'm with you on that. I don't fall for every "natural" product out there just because it says it's natural. Some of that stuff is really toxic and not well researched or potency controlled, like a lot of so-called holistic medicine. I only mentioned that particular company because I know they're registered Traditional Chinese Medical Doctors and also veterinary trained. We've used their herbs for years on a variety of pets and one of their doctors also treated my dog with acupuncture for severe pain and it really helped her.
Unread 03-20-2011   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks for your concern Yvohcna. Lestat is not on any medication.

The first vet who saw him diagnosed a gingivitis and gave him a RC dental care kibble. That was not working at all, he was not getting worse nor better. When I read the food indications it said plaque and tartar and my kitten doesn't have any of those!!

Therefore, 3 weeks later, I decided to get a second opinion from another vet at the same hospital (same vet that saved my baby's life when he had panleukopenia). This doctor is now the only vet that I trust Lestat with.

He explained that Lestat has a first degree gingivitis, with no infection or inflammation, therefore no need for antibiotics and no need for dental care food. He said there was no benefit to take him out of his premium quality food to give him something that is not so rich. Some food that he doesn't need since he doesn't have plaque or tartar. He started asking questions and pondering if Lestat could have an allergy or reaction to something in his environment. First thing he asked me was about the food bowls, if they were made out of plastic but I said no, they are inox ones. Apparently many cats are allergic to plastic when in direct contact with their teeth and chin for example.

Another guess could be a toy or something in his environment. Then a few days after I remembered that he loves to play with plastic caps from water botles. I phoned the vet and he said that it could be it. We should do the test. I removed all caps (he became so sad, poor thing, it was is favourite toy) and he's getting better. He was always running around with a cap in his mouth. His gums are not so reddish anymore but the vet said it will take some months to get back to normal. It's just been a month since all caps were hidden from him.

One less thing to worry I guess. This vet is my hero, for once he saved Lestat's life once already and he's more experienced. He's a teacher also at a veterinary university and he has a lot of published studies and articles. And I love the fact that he's very meticulous about his job. Some people complain that he takes too much time with each patient but I think this is a good thing, he likes to be sure he's not missing something. From now on I'm only making appointments for him.

Now Lestat only has to go back for a re-evaluation in June/July if things continue to be on the right track, which I'm sure they will.

And to think the other vet's plan was to put Lestat on the RC dental care diet on a daily basis if he didn't get better after a month gggrrrrr. Of course he wouldn't get better, that food wasn't doing anything. It was just an overpriced food I has "forced" to buy but I don't care about the money spent... I just want my kitten to be in good health.

As for the dental care food, I donated it to an animal association for some cat(s) that can really benefit from it.

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 03-20-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Unread 03-20-2011   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh my gosh, that is fantastic about the plastic! Has he found another toy that he likes to carry around?

I'm glad you are happy with your vet. My vet takes time too. She insists on the front desk people scheduling her a full half an hour with every client. And she is very firm about not being double booked. She starts her daily schedule with certain times left open for emergencies.

Thanks for the update on Lestat. Are you brushing his teeth? That can help too, you know. I recommend c.e.t enzymatic paste. That's what I use on my cats. We may have already had this discussion, I can't remember.

please read this first

Tags
adult , age , angry , antibiotics , bite , box , breed , breeder , breeders , breeding , care , cat , cats , chartreux , cleaning , diet , dog , eye , fiv , food , free , funny , fur , girl , grooming , health , hey , infection , kitten , kitty , medical , mistake , opinion , play , problems , royal , traditional , transition , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links