It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-08-2011   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Tolly and Queen Eva at the vet-routine stuff

Tolly had his four month check up and blood work today. Depending on his blood work we hopefully will be scheduling a dental. He has a lot of tartar built up on his few remaining teeth, and gingivitis is starting. Vet does not think he is in any discomfort but I am concerned about the health problems that can come from gingivitis, namely kidney and heart.

She said if it was any other cat she would definitely say it is time for a dental, but of course because of Tolly's issues there is a lot else to consider before putting him under anesthesia. She uses only sevoflurane gas anesthesia, and I have the utmost faith in her, but understand her reservations.

Also Tolly is showing signs of a blocked tear duct. If it hasn't cleared up on it's own (though there is much improvement since the symptoms started two and a half weeks ago) she will flush it out during his dental.

She has heard a faint heart murmur from him this morning, this is a brand new thing. She said she would label it less than a 1 on the measurement scale (1-4 being the scale) Something to watch for sure.

I asked about arthritis, telling her I've noticed lately that there is some hesitation in the way he jumps now. He is also playing less. She didn't see any obvious signs in her examination but said to go ahead and start him on cosequin now and see if his activity level pics up.

Since he had a full bladder I had them take a urine sample too. Not for a culture, just an in-house urinalysis. I like to be thorough. Tolly weighed in at 9.3 pounds, he has lost .2 (two tenths) of a pound since he was last in, (one week shy of) four months ago.

I brought Queen Eva in just to say hello and to get a weight. I was right in my guess that she is about 6.5 pounds, she is exactly that. She has gained one pound since her last visit December 15th. Vet doesn't think she will get much bigger, and I don't either. However she is not quite 8 months old, so you never know, she might. Queen Eva hissed at the vet, and I think it hurt vet's feelings a little, because Queen Eva was very much in love with vet last time I brought her in.

I assured vet that Queen Eva has developed some cheeky attitude and has discovered that she likes to hiss and growl when she is displeased, and to not take it personally. Queen Eva did allow vet to cuddle her in her arms, so that hopefully made her (vet) feel better. .

When I hear about the blood work I'll post results.

I forgot my list, and looking at it now I realize I meant to ask her if she thought Tolly was developing some motility issues, judging by his increasing problems with hairballs. I'll leave her a voice mail and we can talk about it when we talk about his blood work. I've been more diligent than ever with brushing him and keeping the hair ball remedy on track, and there hasn't been much trouble lately, thank goodness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-10-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

It must be hard to be forever having to be so vigilant with your special babies, I hope all is well with Tolly, I forget how old is he now?

How is Queen Eva's attitude these days, has it become regular or just now and again? Do you think it has anything to do with her early weeks, or is she just a little opinionated Minx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to supersmithy For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-11-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks Heidi! Tolly is almost 12. Yes, it is hard, the worry, but you adjust to it after a while I guess.

Queen Eva the minx, haha, yep she's a fresh teenager. She's challenging Mazy and Jennie. She's been thumping Mazy to the floor during play, Mazy is much bigger and stronger than Queen Eva, but Mazy is mindful that Queen Eva is a baby (was, anyway) and has always been very gentle with her. The look of surprise on Mazy's face the first time Queen Eva thumped her to the ground was hilarious.

That was a few weeks ago, but Mazy is still being gentle with Queen Eva.

Queen Eva has also started trying to steal Mazy's spot in the bed-bed at night. I didn't have to intervene yet though. The first time it happened, Mazy came to bed and saw Queen Eva in her bed. Mazy was beside herself for a while, but finally figured out what to do. She went back into the living room and made a ruckus. Queen Eva couldn't' resist going to see what all the noise was about, and Mazy knew that. As soon as Queen Eva ran into the living room Mazy hurried back into the bed room and curled up in the bed-bed. I never saw such a smug look on a cat's face.

Last night Mazy first tried to join Queen Eva in the bed-bed. Queen Eva welcomed her with a sweet prrrrupp?but then rolled over and batted at her in play. Mazy didn't like that so settled on my chest instead. That was fine until I needed to roll over, then Mazy played her "There's something interesting in the living room" card and again, it worked. LOL!

Jennie now...Jennie likes to ambush. She dashes in and swats and swears, that's her way of playing. The other cats run, not because they are afraid, but because they know that's part of the Game. Except Queen Eva has always just gone into a roll and flopped submissively to the floor.

Now suddenly Queen Eva is not going into a roll and flopping to the floor any more. Instead she is swatting back and pushing Jennie backwards. Jennie is so shocked she doesn't know what to do. It's hilarious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Unread 02-12-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Poor Tolly. Is the Cosequan helping?
That was hysterical about the bedbed thing

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 02-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

hallan is on a distinguished road

Tolly, Mazy, Jennie & Queen Eva are so lucky to have you caring for them and I'm sure they reward you a thousand times over!
I love hearing about their antics. I like Mazy's tactic to win her favourite sleeping spot. Newt uses a similar tactic to get Ripley out of her favourite sun spot.
Queen Eva certainly has developed into a little minx! It'll be interesting to see if she is a little diva or is just going through a stroppy teenager stage!
Unread 02-13-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Tolly's blood work is all normal whoohoo! Urine a bit on the low side of pH (6.0) but he's not having any problems, no bacteria, blood, white cells or crystals found in the sample.

next step...dental. I'll be glad when it is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Poor Tolly. Is the Cosequan helping?
That was hysterical about the bedbed thing
Thank you Ann! Tolly is okay, not having any pain yet, we don't think. I haven't started the cosequin yet, am going to wait until after his dental, because in doing some research I found one reference to the possibility that cosequin may thin the blood a little.

The vet does not think Tolly will need any extractions this time (he doesn't ahve many teeth left) but just in case I will wait until after the dental.

By the way, is the Cosequin helping Topaz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
Tolly, Mazy, Jennie & Queen Eva are so lucky to have you caring for them and I'm sure they reward you a thousand times over!
I love hearing about their antics. I like Mazy's tactic to win her favourite sleeping spot. Newt uses a similar tactic to get Ripley out of her favourite sun spot.
Queen Eva certainly has developed into a little minx! It'll be interesting to see if she is a little diva or is just going through a stroppy teenager stage!
Aw, thanks Helen. I remember you telling us about Newt doing something similar and I enjoyed the story so much, so I was tickled to have it happen at my house too.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Unread 02-14-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

supersmithy is on a distinguished road

What funny kitty stories you have Gail, that is hilarious about mazy tricking Queen Eva but I feel a bit sorry for Jennie getting battered by The Minx!!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Tags
babies , baby , bladder , cat , cat's , cats , found , fun , funny , game , growl , health , heart murmur , hey , house , hurt , interesting , kitty , lost , love , lucky , morning , night , play , playing , problems , queen , sleeping , stories , story , urine , vet , weight , worry

Sponsored Cat Links