It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
SiameseCat is on a distinguished road
Default contraceptive pill for cats

Our girl has surprised by going into heat just as we were about to have her "done". She's briefly on the pill so she can have the surgery.

So far she's had two tablets. We were told that by now there should be a decrease on the noise she makes. Sadly not.

Would anyone have any experience in that department?

Thanks for any information.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-24-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I said in your other thread the only thing that will stop your cat from going into heat is spaying or pregnancy.

Cats can be spayed while in heat.

However I have now done some research on giving cats birth control pills

1) it is supposed to be used only for cats who are not healthy enough to be spayed as there are very serious side effects: long term use increases risks of diabetes, liver disease, mammary gland cancer and uterine disease.

2) as far as I can tell from reading it is only supposed to given once a week before a heat cycle starts

I would not trust a vet who prescribed something like this for a cat who needs to be spayed and is plenty healthy enough to withstand the surgery.

Just get her spayed, birth control pills are not the answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-26-2011   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

If the vet prescribed birth control pills and did not realize that they would not help a cat that is already in heat, then maybe you should choose a different vet to do the spaying and not ever go back to this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 03-01-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Darian is on a distinguished road

Hi,..
NO! They are for humans who have different hormones. Why don't you want to spay or neuter your cat? If money is the issue, you can get a certificate that most vets will accept and they will do it for less money.

regards,..

Unread 03-01-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
SiameseCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I said in your other thread the only thing that will stop your cat from going into heat is spaying or pregnancy.

Cats can be spayed while in heat.

However I have now done some research on giving cats birth control pills

1) it is supposed to be used only for cats who are not healthy enough to be spayed as there are very serious side effects: long term use increases risks of diabetes, liver disease, mammary gland cancer and uterine disease.

2) as far as I can tell from reading it is only supposed to given once a week before a heat cycle starts

I would not trust a vet who prescribed something like this for a cat who needs to be spayed and is plenty healthy enough to withstand the surgery.

Just get her spayed, birth control pills are not the answer.
I'm aware that it's not a long term solution. The vet did say that in emergencies they would perform the surgery even while she's in heat. But they didn't have an appointment at the time.

My updates haven't been reliable lately.

I was instructed to give a couple of tablets on consecutive days, then one once a week. So in total this is only over a period of 2 1/2 weeks.

I had done some research on the pill for cats previously. But surely the side effects would only be an issue with long-term use? It has calmed her somewhat, and in 10 days' time she's going in for the surgery.

I'm wondering what you meant "that the pill wouldn't stop her being in heat"? Would that depend on the type of tablet? Surely the essential effect of the pill would be similar to that for humans, that she's not receptive because it mimicks pregnancy?

This vet is the best vet in the area. She has a great reputation, and I've always been more than happy. So far I've had no indication that she's not trustworthy. In fact, she prolonged one of our cats' life.

Tags
birth , cat , cats , diabetes , girl , great , happy , healthy , heat , hey , in heat , money , neuter , pill , pills , pregnancy , spay , spayed , stop , surgery , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links