It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2011   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Wellness catfood recall

@#$%^&*()+!!!

Here is the info on this recall.

Information on the Voluntary Wellness Canned Cat Recall

Some foods contain insufficient thiamine (vitamin B-1)

Was released yesterday.

What's WORSE is I was at the feed store TODAY buying Wellness and they did not mention the recall.

As it turns out the food I bought today is not within the date frame for the recall. However of the previous cases purchased, 2 are.

The press release says there is only one reported case of B-1 deficiency. It says not all the foods are affected but they were doing a food wide recall, obviously to cover all the bases and their butts.

I feed a variety of brands. My cats are not exhibiting any signs of Thiamine (vitamin b-1) deficiency but my gosh! Those 2 affected cases are more than half used up!

I'm going to call my vet to see if she thinks they should be tested for B-1 deficiency. I'll send the bill to Wellness.

@#$%^&*()+!!!

I am just so discouraged.

Gail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the important info. I feed my cats Wellness Core. I used to only feed them one brand because I heard that it's better for the cats to always eat the same food--then I heard to vary it because if cats always eat the same food they may get food allergies. So as far as wet food goes, I give Wellness Core, Before Grains, Blue Buffalo, and Avo Derm. I look for foods that don't contain crap. As far as dry foods go, I give them the same thing--Wellness Core, BlueBuffalo, and Before Grains. I don't know if Avo Derm has dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Thanks for the important info. I feed my cats Wellness Core. I used to only feed them one brand because I heard that it's better for the cats to always eat the same food--then I heard to vary it because if cats always eat the same food they may get food allergies. So as far as wet food goes, I give Wellness Core, Before Grains, Blue Buffalo, and Avo Derm. I look for foods that don't contain crap. As far as dry foods go, I give them the same thing--Wellness Core, BlueBuffalo, and Before Grains. I don't know if Avo Derm has dry.
I used to stick with one food too Ann. But then the terrible Recall of 2007 happened, the melamine poisoning.

I now encourage them to eat a variety of brands, just in case one brand goes on recall, or gets discontinued (which happens frustratingly often)

I've just tried two new to us brands. New Balance limited ingredient, which was voted thumbs down by Tolly and Queen Eva. So I gave it to Jennie, she gobbled it and promptly brought it right back up. So that's out.

Then I got some Soulistic, had to order that on line. Tolly and Queen Eva both enjoyed their first supper of it very much, it remains to be seen if they will continue their enthusiasm.

I WAS feeding them Blue Healthy gourmet flaked chicken as their main food with other brands for variety, but the last batch of Blue smells bad and looks wrong.

I contacted Blue right away and they are sending me a postage paid envelope for me to send them a can. I am still waiting for the on line retailer I purchased the three cases from to return my e mails regarding sending the cases back for a refund.

So, without the Blue, Tolly and Queen Eva are eating Weruva, only the chicken in gravy formulas, Petite Cuisine sesame chicken and the three flavors of Wellness, chicken, turkey and chicken and beef. They were also enjoying one flavor of California Natural but that also has been discontinued, just like Tolly's Innova flex stew.

Jennie gets the Wellness chicken mostly, with the turkey and beef and chicken for some variety. She gets constipated if I try to vary her diet too much.

Mazy eats Prescription c/d kibble. I hate it that she is solely on kibble but she won't eat the prescription canned. I do slip her a canned meal of the wellness about once a week, but if she is on it too much the crystals come back.

Tolly thrived like never before or since, on that Innova flex stew. I was devastated that they discontinued it after the P&G buy out.

For snacks the cats besides Mazy are currently getting Blue Spa select kibble, and Innova kibble.

please read this first

Tags
allergies , california , cat , cats , diet , dry , eating , food , healthy , hey , kitty , natural , queen , turkey , vet , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links