It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Yeehaw
Gramaray is on a distinguished road
Default Raw food diet.

Is anybody out there feeding their cats a raw food diet. I am thinking about it for my cats. I have one cat that will eat just about anything. another that is really fussy. My nine year old female has a problem with crystals. She is now on a all canned diet. I am trying to find a canned food for her that is low carb. and good quailty. She dislikes most of the Good stuff but likes the garbage cat food.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-08-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Raw food diet can be very dangerous for a cat with crystals. It's the phosphorous and calcium and magnesium that need to be controlled, and a raw food diet can be high in phosphorous, especially.

To feed this kind of diet you need to do a ton of research and understand feline nutrition. The balance and ratio of food types: bone, muscle meat, organ meat and so on is crucial. You have to add supplements to be sure the cat is getting all that s/he needs, so you need to know what kind of supplements and how much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-09-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Yeehaw
Gramaray is on a distinguished road

What about the recipes for the raw food diet on catinfo.org? I've been on that site alot reading and reading about nutrition. I'm just thinking about it, but I am not sure. Right now I am looking for a low carb canned cat food that my cat will eat. I've tried several and she will sort of eat it walk away come back to just look at it and walk away again. I'm off to the pet food store today to look for other brands. It's frustrating. I can't keep giving her the stuff she is eating now. Elegant medleys. She likes it but I know it's not good for her. I know she really wants dry food. That's not going to happen. Struvite crystals are a problem. She really doesn't drink water. I used to have her on half dry and half canned. I would put berry balance in her food 3 times a week. That worked for a bout 2 years with no problem. Then about 2 months ago the struvites caused her to have problems. I was ignorant to think that the berry balance was the answer. Since then I have really been educating or trying to anyway about what cats need to eat. Thank you for responding.

Last edited by Gramaray; 03-10-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Unread 03-09-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The recipe is probably for a healthy cat. A cat who forms crystals has special dietary needs. They need LOW LOW phosphorus, which raw diets are not. And they need lower magnesium, which raw diets are not.

My Mazy cat has FLUTD. She has to be on prescription food all her life. The times I have tried to switch her to high quality commercial canned food the crystals always come back.

The prescription foods may not seem like the best, as far as ingredients, but they are made the way they are for a reason. And they work. I hate that Mazy is eating a corn based kibble diet, when my other cats are eating high quality canned food. But the Hills Prescription c/d is the ONLY food that keeps her urine crystal free.

She won't eat the prescription canned food, so she is on a kibble diet. I beleive canned food is best for cats. ANY canned food is better than a kibble diet.

But for Mazy I had to choose the lesser or two evils. Health and a corn based kibble diet or pain and illness.

I choose health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
canned food , cat , cat food , cats , commercial , diet , dry , dry food , eating , female , food , free , healthy , hey , nutrition , pet , pet food , problem , problems , raw , urine , water , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links