It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-23-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Worried
teamcarp33 is on a distinguished road
Default Stunted Kitten- Any Ideas?

I foster litters of kittens with mama cats for my local animal shelter. My current litter is currently just over 6 weeks old. This litter has had a rough time since the beginning. The mama cat is very very thin, and had a large litter (6 kittens). All 6 kittens were very small at birth- between 2.3 and 2.7 oz each. One kitten died in the first week of unknown causes, or fading kitten syndrome. Four of the kittens have developed normally and are healthy, normal 6 week olds. The 5th kitten is runty and TINY for his age. I brought him to the vet a little over 2 weeks ago- he had an umbilical infection. The vet prescibed Clavamox and the infection cleared up right away. We both hoped that his growth rate would pick up, but it hasn't. He currently weighs about 8 oz. We went back to the vet yesterday, hoping to get some answers. I was mainly concerned about his belly- its huge in proportion to the rest of his body, and about his overall stunted growth. I was afraid it might be FIP. The vet looked him over pretty well- she said that his belly is concerning, but that he doesn't have any other symptoms that would indicate FIP. He is too tiny to have blood work done, and at this point an x-ray won't show much. She said she is leaning more toward some type of congenital abnormality, maybe something involving the liver or heart. However, she did not detect a heart murmur. Has anyone experienced something like this? Any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-23-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I have nothing to offer but my prayers. Bless you for all your efforts, fostering all those cats/kittens!
You and that precious little baby will be in my prayers. Please keep us updated!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
age , animal , baby , belly , birth , cats , fip , foster , fostering , growth , healthy , heart murmur , infection , kitten , kittens , prayers , runt , shelter , small , stunted , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links