It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

dllfb is on a distinguished road
Default cat with pancreatitis - help please

My 8 year old female cat was just diagnosed with pancreatitis. The vet did a blood work, urine test and had put her on IV for 24 hours. She's on steroids for two weeks. $850 later...lol. Anyway. the vet couldn't specify how or why the cat got this. She said it might have gotten into garbage. Well it's basically an indoor cat until the summer months when the weather is better...but recently I thought that maybe it drank some pond water in my back yard while outside with me for a few minutes on a beautiful spring day last week??? Any thoughts on that one?? I also read it might be due to too much fat in the diet. I have been feeding it dry Iams regular for the last year or so. Is dry food better than canned food? I've been trying to read some cat food labels. What should I look for when reading labels for low fat cat food??? I'm in Canada so I know some of our foods are different here? Any foods I should look for? Can anyone give me any suggestions to help me deal with this...the cat seems to be doing wonderfully..it's me that's the worry wort!!! LOL I/we don't want to have to go through this again. Thanks for your help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum! I'm sorry your kitty has pancreatitis.

Canned food is better than dry food, for any cat, any situation. Has your vet prescribed a special diet for her?

Keep her inside. Feed her a high quality canned diet. Avoid foods with a lot of grains, glutens or by product. I'm not sure if Merrick Before Grain is available in Canada, it might be a good food for her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
beautiful , canned food , cat , cat food , diet , dry , dry food , female , food , indoor , kitty , steroids , suggestions , test , thoughts , urine , vet , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links