It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2011   #121 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Tired
Dally is on a distinguished road

i heard good things about that one... i have no personal experience with it. mine are on Classy Cats, its an all Canadian high quality diet...

the one that jessie got a bad reaction to was Maintenance Cat. Whiskas, though its cheap, its garbage. gives a very oily coat and they gain a ton of weight. friskies i dont like as its like whiskas. with Classy Cats i find their coats are silky soft, gleaming, keeps jessies urinary problem in check, its got all minerals and vitamins, taurine, by product and preservative free, its not coloured, and its not greasy. but you can only get it in canada....

but we have the chicken soup foods. theyre very expensive but i heard good things about it. Medi-cal is good too, but oh man you'll pay an arm and leg for it! for a 1.5 kg bag you pay 17 dollars!! i pay $30 for a 40 lb bag of Classy Cats, best to buy in bulk with 4 cats.

personally, they brag about purina being good, but i find lots of their foods to be garbage. same with anything like whiskas. especially the formulated hair ball treats LOL jess was having issues with her hairballs 2 days ago. gave her the treats she threw them up, give her the usual stuff she was fine... meow mix is just gross looking i wont consider it. iams... likely the same with purina.

so someone else may be able to help you

but im so glad hes ok. when i first checked when you posted the xray results, my heart was pounding while i waited for the page to load.
Gylfie--Patched marble tabby longhair (feral)
Destiny--Silver mackeral tabby Longhair (stray)
sorry in advance for odd typos--Gylfie runs across the keyboard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dally For This Useful Post:

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-25-2011   #122 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thank goodness no serious blockage was found. It sounds like he's passed the worst of it.

I give hair ball medicine by putting a blob on my finger and swiping it in the mouth as far back as I can. Then I kind of hold their chins up so they can't spit it out, until they swallow it.

If it's too runny keep it in the fridge.

Put him in the standard holding position.Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

Remember to give the hairball remedy on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours before any food or medicine. I forgot he was on the antibiotic. Which one is it? Is it giving him any problems?

The Chicken Soup food is an okay food. Way better for him than the Fancy Feast, at least it has real meat in it. I think you will be very happy with the changes you will see in him after about 2 months. That is of course, if he likes the food. I remember you saying he is finicky.

Since he is doing okay on the other flavor of the Fancy Feast, do a gradual switch, to help prevent any more tummy upset. He may have some diarrhea. Does he like yogurt?

Did Purina ask for a sample of the food? How can they evaluate it if they don't? When I had the trouble with the Blue, they sent me a postage paid mailer to send the food in. They said the same thing that "they hadn't received any other complaints".

Keep us posted on that too okay?

I'm glad you and Simba are sleeping in and catching up on your rest.

Now praying that Simba will eat the new food and that there will be no more problems, EVER!

xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-25-2011   #123 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

He sure is being talkative. Like he's trying to tell me he understands. Also he doesn't want to leave my lap and I'm getting a bit stiff. LOL He's also playing with his toys. I can't believe how affectionate he's being, much more than normal

He's taking Zenequin antibiotic and Mirtazapine for appetite and he's tolerating them well.

Purina took a claims report and will be contacting the vet. They want me to keep the food and may want a sample. Wouldn't it be great if I could get them to pay all the vet bills and be able to return the money donated?!?! I have no doubt it was the food because he has completely stopped vomiting now that he's off it. At first they didn't seem interested until I said I was going to go on the internet and see if others have had the same problem. I also told them if I found there were others I would be contacting an attorney. That's when he finally said he could take a claims report. Nothing was offered at first other than taking pretty generic information. Darn, forgot to mention the $120 charged by the first vet.

acerlt, is there another food at Petsmart you would recommend over the Chicken Soup? I may try to get samples if they have them. I've been reading about pet food and it's some pretty scary stuff!! Isn't it sickening what they put in the food? OMG I knew it was bad but had no idea! And no on the yogurt or any people food. I bought some Science Diet Hairball Formula wet and he took a couple of bites but he won't eat leftovers even if it's been refrigerated and microwaved to lukewarm.

I can't get on my knees on the floor so I do it on the bed. He manages to flip the goop out though because it won't stick to the roof of his mouth. Now that he's feeling better it's harder to hold him down too. LOL
Unread 04-25-2011   #124 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Allie I think the Chicken soup senior kibble is a good food for you to try with Simba. It seems affordable (I found it for $11.99 at amazon.com with free shipping on orders over $25), it has real meat, chicken and chicken meal (the meat with the water removed) as the first two ingredients, and more real meat listed further down and no wheat or gluten.

I didn't see it listed on the petsmart website though, so I hope they carry it in store.

I'm not real knowledgeable about the dry foods, most of my research is on canned foods. For dry you want to look for identified meat proteins as the first three or four ingredients, no wheat or wheat gluten, preferably no corn, and no by-product or animal digest.

This food doesn't fall far from that criteria and it is several steps up from the Fancy Feast kibble, so I think you should try it, if Petsmart does carry it. Asking for samples is a good idea. You can also go to the Brand websites and ask for samples and coupons, or google the brand name and the word coupon.

I'm so glad Simba is getting back to his own self, and I know you are too, and I'm sure he is. Not just because he feels better, but because your stress is lessened and he will be feeling that too. It's all good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-26-2011   #125 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Purina legal department called this morning to take a full report. They are requesting the medical records and vet bills then will determine if they will cover any of the expenses. She asked if I still had the bag of food but didn't ask for it. She told me to hold on to it.

I'm concerned that he hasn't pooped recently.
Unread 04-26-2011   #126 (permalink)
Cool Cat

At Petsmart today it was recommended I try Royal Canin since he's a finicky eater. I bought a small bag of that and a small bag of Blue. He wouldn't touch the Blue but he likes the Royal Canin. I also got some canned Blue but he would only eat the gravy topping. That's how it's always been with canned, he'll only eat the gravy!

LOL I put the Petromalt on his paw and he was irked but he ate it and cleaned off his paw. He gave me such a dirty look! LOL
Unread 04-26-2011   #127 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Tired
Dally is on a distinguished road

yeah, royal canin is the makers of the medi-cal foods. expensive but usually liked.
Gylfie--Patched marble tabby longhair (feral)
Destiny--Silver mackeral tabby Longhair (stray)
sorry in advance for odd typos--Gylfie runs across the keyboard
Unread 04-26-2011   #128 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
At Petsmart today it was recommended I try Royal Canin since he's a finicky eater. I bought a small bag of that and a small bag of Blue. He wouldn't touch the Blue but he likes the Royal Canin. I also got some canned Blue but he would only eat the gravy topping. That's how it's always been with canned, he'll only eat the gravy!

LOL I put the Petromalt on his paw and he was irked but he ate it and cleaned off his paw. He gave me such a dirty look! LOL
Blue guarantees their food so you should be able to bring the bag back for a refund or store credit.

If he likes gravy, try pate foods instead of chunks in gravy styles and add a little water to it to thin it out. It would be good to get him started on some canned food, even if only a little, every day.

I used to smear the hairball remedy on Mazy's paws and felt quite smug that I was getting it into her so easily, until I discovered many blobs of the stuff along a lower wall when doing some deep cleaning. I would smear it really thin and flat so she couldn't flick it off, so I thought. Seems she figured out that if she sat up straight very still for a few minutes the smear would gradually all slide down to the end of her paw into a blob again, and then she could flick it off.

Now she has to take it down the throat like the other cats. LOL.

The best food for a cat of course is one that he will eat, and that you can afford. RC/medi-cal is not the greatest as far as ingredients, but it's not the worst either and still is better than the Fancy Feast.

I'm really glad Purina is taking this seriously. Please do keep us posted on that, you may save some other people the same heart ache you and Simba have been through

So is he eating regularly now? How much? Keep track of how much you feed him so you can know if he's getting enough. The lack of poop may just be because he hasn't been eating enough to have any poop. That's why I urged you to go ahead with the x rays. Because of that, you KNOW there is no obstruction, so it's one less worry while you wait for his system to get back to normal.

I know I don't have to tell you to call the vet if you see any sign of straining and nothing coming out.

No more vomiting, right?

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-26-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Unread 04-26-2011   #129 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Petsmart said they would guarantee any food I bought and if he didn't like it I could exchange it. I had another bag of Fancy Feast that I had bought there but didn't have the receipt. They still took it back without question.

He's still not eating like he should be. He's a night time eater, usually after I go to bed, so it's difficult to know how much he's eating. I guess I could put it in a smaller bowl and get a better idea.

Nope, no more vomiting ever since i took the Fancy Feast away!

That's a good tip with the wet food and I'll try that. He doesn't seem as perky tonight as he was last night and I sure hope it doesn't mean anything.

I went and looked for a glob of Petromalt and sure enough you're right. LOL He must have flicked it off his paw and it stuck to an area rug. Why can't they make that stuff taste better?!
Unread 04-26-2011   #130 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Allie, I'm sorry, I feel like I am always telling you what to do but I am trying to be helpful. Measure the food before you put it in the dish, and measure it again when you get up in the morning. Don't top off the dish, only serve premeasured portions. Then you will be able to keep track of exactly how much Simba is eating.

It will take some time for his little body to recover and get back to normal.

I now you'll keep us posted on his health and I look forward to hearing stories about Simba as Himself instead of as a sick boy.

please read this first

Tags
affordable , age , antibiotic , bills , bite , black , bowel , boy , car , cat , catching , clean , constipation , crazy , crying , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , family , fast , feral , fever , fights , fip , food , game , great , hair balls , health , hiding , home , house , hurt , indoor , interesting , internet , kitten , kitty , lost , mat , medical , money , moving , nausea , not eating , nutrition , obstruction , peeing , petsmart , play , poop , prayers , pregnant , problems , raw , royal , scared , scream , senior , shoes , sick , silly , smart , story , struggle , surgery , toys , turkey , urine , vet , vet bills , vomit , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links