It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-03-2011   #181 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

Thanks kskat, it helps knowing I'm not alone. I know you and Gail care and that means the world to me.

I started Simba on Prednisone last night and he is responding great! He ate during the night and he's been drinking water. I worry about getting too excited though because he's done this before then took a turn for the worse.

I'm glad the vet will be seeing him later today. I want him to be better so bad that I'm concerned I'm not seeing him clearly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-03-2011   #182 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh good! Be sure to let us know, when you can, how the vet visit goes. I guess you will be bringing home the fluids?

Prednisone works fast, if it's going to help, so if he is feeling better after just a couple of doses that is a very good thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-03-2011   #183 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Took Simba to the vet and she thought he looked pretty good. He lost a couple of ounces but she said he wasn't very dehydrated but she went ahead and gave him subq fluids anyway.

Considering the money situation we decided it's better to spend the money on making him comfortable and hope the prednisone will help. She said that if we do the endoscopy we would be looking for cancer or irritable bowel disease and prednisone would be the drug used anyway. I hate not knowing but him being comfortable and not suffering is number one priority. She said cats do well on it and have less side effects than dogs or even people. Yesterday he had his first prednisone and there's already been a significant improvement on his eating/drinking and not always sleeping.

In 2 weeks we're going to redo the blood panel and see if his white blood cell count is back to normal.

She gave me some Greenies Pill Pockets to put the pills in. She said they're easier to swallow than capsules and help mask the bad taste of both the prednisone and the flagyl.

Gail, just so you know, Simba tore a big hole in that carrier. I don't know if your kids are as obsessive as him but it's useless now.
Unread 05-03-2011   #184 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Ah, all in all it's a good report. He hasn't lost much weight, so he must be eating more than you think. His dehydration isn't bad, so that's good. See? You are taking excellent care of Simba.

Quote:
Gail, just so you know, Simba tore a big hole in that carrier. I don't know if your kids are as obsessive as him but it's useless now.

I had to think about this for a minute. You mean the one I posted the pictures of Queen Eva using as her play tent? Thanks for the tip. I don't use those nylon things as regular carriers. They are for an emergency. They fold flat so I can keep them right here in the living room, and the large one will hold three cats, in a pinch. I couldn't find another of the same size, but I got the other one for Jennie as she can get hissy if crowded.

My cats probably wouldn't tear them up though. But if I ever have t use them, it is good to know it's a possibility, so thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-04-2011   #185 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Quick Update

Simba is doing great today, better than me! LOL He's even starting to take his pills without as much a fight. He's also not hiding in the closet and is very lovable. If he continues like this and gains back some weight in a couple of weeks we're going to lower the prednisone to 2 1/2mg a day, then if he tolerates that we'll do one every other day and see how he does.
Unread 05-04-2011   #186 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi! I was just hoping to see an update, before I turn this thing off for the night. HURRAY!

please read this first
Unread 05-05-2011   #187 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Hi, great news! I'm not going to be able to check in as often, my internet provider desided to quit and I've got to find a new one. Not easy in my neck of the woods! I'm at my public library right now.
I will still be praying and will check in as often as I can!

Unread 05-05-2011   #188 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks kskat and acerlt. Simba ate quite a bit during the night but vomited it all up this morning. He had stopped vomiting so I don't know why this happened. It was stressful for both of us and I'm worried again. Why does he do good for a day or two then start feeling bad again?!
Unread 05-05-2011   #189 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
Thanks kskat and acerlt. Simba ate quite a bit during the night but vomited it all up this morning. He had stopped vomiting so I don't know why this happened. It was stressful for both of us and I'm worried again. Why does he do good for a day or two then start feeling bad again?!
ARRGH!!!! It may be he just ate too much at once. Put only small amounts out at a time. No more than 1/8 cup. Once he eats that wait a while and then put more out. And so on.

please read this first
Unread 05-06-2011   #190 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
mcatz is on a distinguished road

hi! sorry to hear your simba isn't well. I too reccomend no fishy foods. Start off with sliced meat chicken,turkey. I usually find that helps. Just make sure there's water there if they want it, just don't fill it up full. hope simba recovers quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcatz For This Useful Post:

Tags
affordable , age , antibiotic , bills , bite , black , bowel , boy , car , cat , catching , clean , constipation , crazy , crying , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , family , fast , feral , fever , fights , fip , food , game , great , hair balls , health , hiding , home , house , hurt , indoor , interesting , internet , kitten , kitty , lost , mat , medical , money , moving , nausea , not eating , nutrition , obstruction , peeing , petsmart , play , poop , prayers , pregnant , problems , raw , royal , scared , scream , senior , shoes , sick , silly , smart , story , struggle , surgery , toys , turkey , urine , vet , vet bills , vomit , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links