It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2011   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

I'm too new to reply to your PM but thank you SO much! Yes I do understand what you're saying.

Is there anything like olive oil that I may have in the house to use until I can get someone to go to the petstore for me? Petsmart doesn't carry those and that's the one we have in our neighborhood.

He normally doesn't like me to touch his tummy much but he's been letting me do it so maybe it feels better when I rub it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2011   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I don't think olive oil will help much. Things like olive and vegetable oil and butter digest too fast. The whole point of hairball medicine is for it to stay in the stomach and digestive tract long enough to glom onto the fur.

Vaseline can be used too! And you can get that anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-15-2011   #13 (permalink)
Cool Cat

How much vasaline could I give him? Should I mix it with something that tastes better?
Unread 04-15-2011   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Many cats will lick it right off your finger. If he won't, smear it onto his paw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-16-2011   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I put it on the roof of his mouth and all went well. LOL I can't thank you enough, acerit, and I'll do everything you've suggested.(((hugs)))
Unread 04-16-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh good! Just peeking in to let you know I'm thinking about you and Simba. Please keep us posted!

please read this first
Unread 04-16-2011   #17 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks! I gave him some more this morning. Do you know how long it usually takes? He won't eat the wet food and keeps asking for his dry food.
Unread 04-16-2011   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

So Simba has had three doses of the vaseline by now? Has he had any more vomiting? Has he had a bowel movement?

Is he drinking water, and keeping that down?

If all the answers are yes, let him have a little of his own food, but only about half a tablespoon at a time, and not right before or right after a vaseline treatment. Always give the hair ball medicine on an empty stomach at least two hours before food.

If he keeps down half tablespoon of his food, in an hour give him another half tablespoon.

Since he won't eat the canned food, if he'll eat cooked chicken, give him that instead of his kibble, again in very small amounts, spread an hour apart.

But if he won't eat anything but kibble, give him some, but just very small amounts, an hour apart.

I'll be checking in again later, in about 9 hours.

xx

please read this first
Unread 04-16-2011   #19 (permalink)
Cool Cat

He's had it 4 times now and he slept most of the day. He hasn't been drinking or eating at all. Should I give him water with a baby syringe? I did this before I took him to the vet but haven't since. He has used his litterpan a couple of times but small amounts of urine.

What about giving him some grass now? That always helps him to vomit.
Unread 04-17-2011   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I really don't think you want him to vomit now. If this is hair ball trouble, it's probably well on it's way to coming out the other way. He hasn't eaten, or you haven't offered him anything?

If he won't drink on his own, yes sryinge some water into him. 1 or 2 cc at a time. Or better yet, make a thin gruel with the canned food and syringe that into him. As much as he will tolerate, just 2 cc at a time. Use warm (not hot, just tepid) water. Wait an hour between syringing sessions to make sure he keeps it down.

please read this first

Tags
affordable , age , antibiotic , bills , bite , black , bowel , boy , car , cat , catching , clean , constipation , crazy , crying , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , family , fast , feral , fever , fights , fip , food , game , great , hair balls , health , hiding , home , house , hurt , indoor , interesting , internet , kitten , kitty , lost , mat , medical , money , moving , nausea , not eating , nutrition , obstruction , peeing , petsmart , play , poop , prayers , pregnant , problems , raw , royal , scared , scream , senior , shoes , sick , silly , smart , story , struggle , surgery , toys , turkey , urine , vet , vet bills , vomit , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links