It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2011   #191 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Just checking in on our boy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-06-2011   #192 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

He's back to sleeping in the closet. I've had a hard time giving him the prednisone and the flagyl, I think because they taste so bad. He foams at the mouth and ends up back in hiding. I've tried everything I can think of and still can't get them down his throat before the bad taste hits. He's really upset with me now.

He didn't throw up this morning but he didn't eat during the night either.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-06-2011   #193 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, the flagyl is very bitter. Are you putting something on his mouth to help him wash it down? Have I posted my pillling method for you?

Since this is going to be long term it may be worth it to get some plain gelatin capsules and put the pills in them. Then he can't taste anything. You can find them on line.

In case you haven't seen it, here is what I recommend for pilling cats:

use a dot of something soft and wet s/he likes. You can try mayonnaise, yogurt, even a little soft butter or cream cheese. Just a drop will do. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little mayonnaise (or whatever)

Use the holding position. Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

With cat in holding position (as described above), put a dot of the mayo (or whatever) on kitty's mouth to keep her busy and to get the saliva flowing (so the pill doesn't stick).

While kitty is licking her mouth, hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can.

You can let go of her mouth at this point, but keep a hand on her to keep her still while you get another bit of yogurt (or mayo or...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose and mouth. She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. It does take practice. And you have to approach it with confidence, kitty will sense if you are hesitant. But once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. Gel caps go down easier too. Check with vet or pharmacist before using capsules, as a capsule may affect the dissolving time and this may be an issue for some meds.

You can order empty gel caps on line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-06-2011   #194 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks Gail. I've given pills to many cats but Simba is different. I'm disabled and can't kneel on the floor and he rebels every step of the way. I put butter on the pills but they slid all over and went everywhere but in his mouth. The vet said the capsule would have to be too big for the pills and would be harder for him to swallow. He was taking them better until the nasty tasting flagyl.

He's doing real bad today. I'm so worried about him and the money from all sources has run out and I don't know what to do.

He's hiding and when I go near him he flinches and hides his head. It makes me feel so bad. I tried getting some NutriCal down him but wasn't very successful. He's holding his jaw really tight and I'm afraid I'm going to hurt him prying it open.
Unread 05-06-2011   #195 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh that's right you did tell me you can't kneel. Don't put the butter on the pill, put the butter on his mouth. Smear some on to get his saliva going. Poke the pill down and smear some more on, he will lick it off and swallow. A cat can't lick without swallowing.

That is, if you can get him out of the closet. I'm sorry he seems to be relapsing again, oh Allie! I feel so helpless for you!

I'm not a vet, but here's my advice for what it's worth. Concentrate on giving the prednisone and skip the flagyl until you can talk to the vet again. I think the prednisone is more important than the flagyl. Can you give sub q shots? I think pred can be made up into sub q shots. It can also be made up into a transdermal, where you rub it into his ear.

please read this first
Unread 05-06-2011   #196 (permalink)
Cool Cat

LOL No wonder I couldn't hold onto the pill! I'll try the butter/mayo the way you explained it and also try one pill at a time. I was trying to do them both at once but that didn't work at all.
Unread 05-07-2011   #197 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sad
Cinixen is on a distinguished road

How is Simba getting on? Hoping he gets better soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cinixen For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-07-2011   #198 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

By the way, is Simba still getting his pepcid? That's important for the vomiting. I know it seems like a lot of pills, but hopefully he will adjust with time. I know it's hard but try to approach pill times with confidence and cheerfulness. Tell him calmly and brightly what you are about to do and why. And then just swoop in and do it. Easier said than done, I know, but cats can adjust to anything.

I would not think you would need such large capsules for the prednisone.

The pepcid, by the way can be crushed and put in something tasty, like a pill pocket. I didn't think to suggest those before. Or baby food, if he likes it.

please read this first
Unread 05-07-2011   #199 (permalink)
Cool Cat

It's just the bad tasting pills that he fights me hard about and I don't blame him. He shakes his head when I try to open his mouth so I usually miss the first few times. I don't always give him the Pepsid but I'll be sure to do that. Thanks

He was awake and bright eyed when I got up this morning. He shows no interest in food, not even baby food. A few Temptations is all he's eaten since Thursday night. I gave him NutriCal and forced water last night.
Unread 05-07-2011   #200 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Oh poor Simba. I saw his pictures, and he is a beautiful baby!!!! I've been following this entire thread, but I haven't put my two-cents in that much because Gail seems to know a thousand times more than I know about kitties, although I have learned alot from her and this forum.
You mentioned Greenies Pill pockets. At one time I had to give my Magic pills and I would put the pill in her mouth as far back as I could without choking her. Then I would hold her head up and massage her throat area. When it appeared like she definitely swallowed the pill, I would release her only to have her spit the pill on the floor and run away. I tried the Greenies pill pockets and she ate the entire pill pocket and left nothing but the pill which she promptly deposited at my feet before running off with her head and tail held high, looking back once at me with utmost disapproval. It was a little tiny white pill that looks like that sugar substitute they used to sell (I forgot the name of it. I remember they had those little white pills that dissolved in your coffee or tea, and they had that clear liquid in a bottle that had a pointy top on it. What was the name of it again? Was it called cyclamates or something?) Anyway, I tried crushing the little white ill and putting it in tuna with tuna water, and she sniffed the tuna and walked away. So, I can definitely sympathize with you, especially because Simba is so sick and you are disabled, and things are difficult for you.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Tags
affordable , age , antibiotic , bills , bite , black , bowel , boy , car , cat , catching , clean , constipation , crazy , crying , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , family , fast , feral , fever , fights , fip , food , game , great , hair balls , health , hiding , home , house , hurt , indoor , interesting , internet , kitten , kitty , lost , mat , medical , money , moving , nausea , not eating , nutrition , obstruction , peeing , petsmart , play , poop , prayers , pregnant , problems , raw , royal , scared , scream , senior , shoes , sick , silly , smart , story , struggle , surgery , toys , turkey , urine , vet , vet bills , vomit , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links