It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2011   #201 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

I remember that sweetener, wasn't it Saccharin? Were you ever able to figure out a way to give them to Magic?

What made it worse was when I started giving him the Prednisone and the Flagyl because of how bad they taste. He's really fighting me now.

I was able to force some Pedialite with NutriCal mixed in it but a more got on me. I wrapped him in a towel and that at least kept his claws out of me. My arms and hands are pretty scratched up. But what I hate most is that he's so mad at me and doesn't understand that I'm trying to help him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-07-2011   #202 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

No, I wasn't able to give the pills to Magic and I called the vet. She told me that since Magic was at the vet's for a couple of days, she got all of her pills at the vets, and I only had a couple more days left to give her. The vet said not to worry about it (I can't remember what the pills were for). She said that in the future she can "compound" the medication for me which she explained, she would put it into a liquid and I could give it with a dropper. That just gave me an idea--why don't you ask your vet if she can make up the medicine into a liquid. I've given my cats liquid medicine with a droper, and it is much easier.
Maybe, it was called saccharin, but I thought it was something else that was outlawed because it caused cancer or something.
It's so sad when your kitty's mad at you because they don't understand why you're doing something that is uncomfortable for them. When I first got my senior cats in December (they're about 13) one of them had an eye infection. They were very loving from the beginning, but at the same time, very skittish and afraid of everything. Everything seemed to make the poor kitties run and hide under the bed. So imagine how horrible I felt when I had to hold down a very frightened cat to put drops into his eyes. He would hide for hours, and just when he finally came to trust me, I would have to hold him down and put the drops in his eyes again. We cat-lovers can't stand to see our cats uncomfortable. Have you ever accidentally stepped on your cat's paw? As careful as I am to always "look before I leap", every once in awhile I don't see a cat and end up stepping on their paw. Listening to that horrible shriek of pain the cat makes is just so sad. One time I was sitting on my front stoop. Magic and Mr. Midnight were on the other side of the storm door, scratching at the door because they wanted to come outside. I thought the door was closed all the way, but, apparently it was not latched. Well, one of the cats, I don't know which one, pushed on the door enough to open it a little and have enough power to close all the way and latch. The problem was that one of the cat's paws was between the door and the door frame and when the door closed and latched, I hear the most horrible, high-pitched scream!!! Luckily, I was sitting about two feet away from the door, and I quickly opened it and released the cats paw. I felt TERRIBLE!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-07-2011   #203 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
I remember that sweetener, wasn't it Saccharin? Were you ever able to figure out a way to give them to Magic?

What made it worse was when I started giving him the Prednisone and the Flagyl because of how bad they taste. He's really fighting me now.

I was able to force some Pedialite with NutriCal mixed in it but a more got on me. I wrapped him in a towel and that at least kept his claws out of me. My arms and hands are pretty scratched up. But what I hate most is that he's so mad at me and doesn't understand that I'm trying to help him.
Allie do you talk to Simba and tell him what you are doing and why you are doing it? I believe cats understand a lot more than we imagine. It's a natural reaction to fight and struggle, they can't help it, but I truly believe telling them what's going on helps.

And you are probably giving off apologetic vibes, too. I know it's difficult but try to boost yourself up to approaching him with assurance. Cheerful and confident. If you treat it like just another thing to do in the day, it will help him accept it all more easily.

How's he doing tonight?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-07-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Unread 05-07-2011   #204 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS Hang in there Allie. I think you are doing a great job, better than you realize. I know how stressful and overwhelming it can be.

Simba knows you love him. He's just overwhelmed and stressed, too. You two will get through this.

I just had a thought. Has pancreatitis been considered? Of course, the prednisone will help, if that's what it is, but I wonder if he needs a special diet. That can be rough, I know how finicky he is.

Did you talk to the vet today? Are you doing fluids at home now?

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-07-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Unread 05-08-2011   #205 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't have any problem giving him the Prednisone, it's the Flagyl that doesn't easily go down for him. It's a large pill cut in half so the coating isn't on the cut part and as soon as he tastes it he goes nuts. The taste even comes through the pill pockets. I tasted it and I don't blame him, I couldn't do it either.

He had a good night and was up eating and drinking. I found a box and cut the flaps off of it and he loved chewing on the sides. He took a couple of his toys inside and played a little then went to sleep curled up in the box. It's a perfect size to snuggle up inside and he liked that.

Since he wasn't very dehydrated at the vet's I didn't bring home the fluids. Between the cost and not knowing if I have the physical ability to give him the subq fluids I chose to wait.

I think you're right about my tone of voice being apologetic and not confident enough. I was thinking about that last night when I was talking to him and it wasn't comforting. I explain everything but I do think I need to have a less sympathetic tone.
Unread 05-08-2011   #206 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Allie! I'm so glad Simba is doing some box chewing! As you probably already know Tolly too loves to chew boxes. Mazy does too, but not with the dedication of Tolly.

Thanks for the up date on Simba. Often an idiopathic illness is a major roller coaster, but even if it's two steps forward one step back, one step forward, inch by inch it sounds like he is getting better.

xx

please read this first
Unread 05-08-2011   #207 (permalink)
Cool Cat

OMG!!!! Simba just got through vomiting and it was violent!! My poor baby is going to die and I can't stand it!! All I could do was hold him up so he didn't fall in it. Oh, I don't want him to die but I don't know what to do!!!

I don't understand why he's vomiting about every 3 days. As soon as I think he's on the road to recovery it starts over again. Right after he vomits he drinks water. I gave him the Pepsid today too.

I'm sorry this thread is so pitiful and that I'm not handling it better. I hope it's not too distressing to some readers.

Last edited by alleygata; 05-08-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added
Unread 05-09-2011   #208 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Aww Allie, I'm sure we all just wish we could be of more help to poor Simba... I know I do ... Though it may be hard, it's always better to look optimistically into the future... Say, "he will make it through this, we'll find a way." Even when things look so bad to the point of no return... Okay that's called denial at that point but you know what I mean I hope... Try to keep optimism for Simba
Unread 05-09-2011   #209 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thank you for the kind words Brandon. It's breaking my heart that he feels so bad and I can't help him more. He's been like this for over a month now and I don't know if I'm really helping him or just making him suffer.
Unread 05-09-2011   #210 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

Oh Allie, I'm so very sorry to read all of this! I really hope your baby pulls through and can be healthy again! Best of luck to you!!

PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Tags
affordable , age , antibiotic , bills , bite , black , bowel , boy , car , cat , catching , clean , constipation , crazy , crying , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , family , fast , feral , fever , fights , fip , food , game , great , hair balls , health , hiding , home , house , hurt , indoor , interesting , internet , kitten , kitty , lost , mat , medical , money , moving , nausea , not eating , nutrition , obstruction , peeing , petsmart , play , poop , prayers , pregnant , problems , raw , royal , scared , scream , senior , shoes , sick , silly , smart , story , struggle , surgery , toys , turkey , urine , vet , vet bills , vomit , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links