It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

popeye111 is on a distinguished road
Default Any ideas?

My cat is having a hard time walking around. He seems very off balance and struggles to walk straight and is not able to jump up anywhere easily. I have taken him to the vet and when blood tests were done the blood clotted right away so he said it was an infection. My cat was put on an IV with an antibiotic and stayed the night with the vet. The next day he seemed somewhat better but still was having a hard time walking around and looked very off balance. My cat was put on antibiotics for 8 days and that has not seemed to help with him walking right. Any ideas what this may be for when I bring him to the vet? Thanks for your help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-24-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

This sounds like your cat either has an inner ear infection, Vestibular Syndrome, or has had a stroke.

How old is he? What kind of blood work was done? Did your vet check the thyroid when he ran blood work? I don't see how the blood clotting has anything to do with anything, that is not how infection is checked for.

Was your cat given a complete exam? Did he look deep in the ears, or watch the eyes or check blood pressure?

Frankly, I'd be taking my cat to another vet for a second opinion.

Welcome to the forum, please keep us posted on your kitty. What are you doing to keep him safe and comfortable?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-24-2011   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Blood clotting too quickly sounds more like vitamin deficiency than an infection.
While reading your post my first thought was that you need a second opinion. Do you have a feline specialty clinic or vet university in your area?
I have never heard of an infection, unless it is in the ear, causing balance and/or walking issues.
Please do keep us updated. We are very concerned about you and your cat, and you may be able to teach us something new! You will both be in my prayers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-25-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

popeye111 is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for the replies and I appreciate your prayers and thoughts for my little guy. He just had his first birthday on April 15th and its unfortunate the he has developed this problem. The vet I went to said that his (Roy is my little guy's name after my grandfather) blood was clotting too fast and was not able to do a proper anaylsis of the blood. The vet also took a urine sample but stated that it seemed fine. I feel that this vet has mislead me and was more interested in my money than helping my poor little guy out. I am going to be taking him on Monday to see another vet in another city to get another opinion. My little guy has a good appetite and is also drinking water which is good I think although he had lost some weight because he wasn't interested in walking to where I normally kept his food but I have now moved it closer to where he likes to sit. The funny thing is that Roy seems to be active and even wants to play although he will sometimes trip over himself or fall to the side. Its nice to see he has the energy but its sad to see him struggle. I have a bed for him in the living room where he lays beside me or he just lays on me if I am sitting in the room. He also sleeps beside me at night in his other bed. I am hoping to find a cause and solution to this problem very soon!
Unread 04-25-2011   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Oh my, he's just a baby! Hoping and praying that it is something simple! Do let us know what the vet says.

Tags
antibiotic , antibiotics , baby , birthday , cat , ear infection , eyes , fast , food , fun , funny , infection , kitty , lost , money , nice , night , opinion , play , prayers , problem , sad , struggle , thoughts , urine , vet , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links