It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2011   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Marionana is on a distinguished road
Default Won't eat can cat food

My little guy eats Blue Buffalo indoor spa select dry food. He was on Evo Cat & Kitten dry food most of his two years. I decided to try BB because Evo sold out to Protor and Gamble. Didn't want to take a chance they compromised the ingredients.

Two fifty took to BB dry food without a hitch, granted it was a slow process. After several months on BB dry, I tried giving him BB can food for dinner, BB dry for breakfast. He seemed to like the canned food Turkey & Chicken (afraid to give him fish). After a few weeks he wants nothing to do with the can food..Nothing. I've been throwing out cans like crazy. Tried their new gourmet can food....sliced turkey. He took one whiff and walked away. Tried the canned flaked chicken gourmet, one sniff and he turned his back on it. Tried another can brand..same thing.

After 25 minutes, I took the can food away and replaced with his BB dry food, he gobbled it down with no problem.

BB dry is a high quality holistic food. Will it harm him to stay on dry food.?? Can you suggest a can food your cats love.

I make sure Two-Fifty drinks from the bathroom room faucet several times a day , plus he has fresh water in his bowl all day long.

I'm concerned a dry food diet will cause urinary tract problems.

Last edited by Marionana; 04-27-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-27-2011   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
Brazcat is on a distinguished road

Have you tried mixing dry with canned? May it'll make it easier for him to adapt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-27-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my cat Simba. Acerlt suggested making a gruel out of the canned by adding water. He likes it that way much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to alleygata For This Useful Post:
Unread 04-27-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
I have the same problem with my cat Simba. Acerlt suggested making a gruel out of the canned by adding water. He likes it that way much better.
Hee hee you beat me to it Allie! That's exactly what I was going to suggest to Marionana.

I'm glad it's working out for you and Simba too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionana View Post
My little guy eats Blue Buffalo indoor spa select dry food. He was on Evo Cat & Kitten dry food most of his two years. I decided to try BB because Evo sold out to Protor and Gamble. Didn't want to take a chance they compromised the ingredients.

Two fifty took to BB dry food without a hitch, granted it was a slow process. After several months on BB dry, I tried giving him BB can food for dinner, BB dry for breakfast. He seemed to like the canned food Turkey & Chicken (afraid to give him fish). After a few weeks he wants nothing to do with the can food..Nothing. I've been throwing out cans like crazy. Tried their new gourmet can food....sliced turkey. He took one whiff and walked away. Tried the canned flaked chicken gourmet, one sniff and he turned his back on it. Tried another can brand..same thing.

After 25 minutes, I took the can food away and replaced with his BB dry food, he gobbled it down with no problem.

BB dry is a high quality holistic food. Will it harm him to stay on dry food.?? Can you suggest a can food your cats love.

I make sure Two-Fifty drinks from the bathroom room faucet several times a day , plus he has fresh water in his bowl all day long.

I'm concerned a dry food diet will cause urinary tract problems.
I use the Blue kibble for snacks and treats, and keep my cats on a canned diet. I think you are wise to want that for Two Fifty too. I also do not feed any fish to my cats.

Since he has rejected the chunks in gravy styles, as Allie has mentioned try some pate foods and mix in a little warm water to make it like a gravy. This has the added benefit of getting even more water into him.

I recommend you try the Merrick Before Grain pate foods. I feed the turkey, the chicken and the beef. My Jennie is doing fantastic on them. They used to be only for supplemental feeding but are now 100% complete.

Keep us posted on how Two Fifty is doing. Is there a story behind his unusual name?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-27-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

Acerlt mentioned adding warm water. I also found that better than cool because it makes the food smellier.
Unread 04-28-2011   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hawki is on a distinguished road

Acerlt's idea worked for me too....of course when I brought home a second cat jelousy caused the finicky kitty to eat the canned food. Neither of them like the chunck/morsels that much.

Butch
Husband to Rose, Servant to Callie; Man Butler to Slider.
Unread 04-28-2011   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Acerlt, Brazcat, Alleygata & Hawki...thank you for all your suggestions, I appreciate it!!!

Tried giving Two-Fifty a can of BB canned flaked tuna for dinner last night, he bent down to smell it, scratched his mat and walked politely away. Again, he wanted nothing to do with it.

Acerlt, my grandson was visiting the day we got our little guy. He came up with the name after he counted to 250 using the 10X table. He was so excited to come up with a name, being his Nana I agreed...

Can I find Merrick Before Grain pate at Petsmart or Petco. If not, can you tell me where I could purchase it. thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thank you.jpg (38.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Marionana; 04-28-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Unread 04-28-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

I get the Before Grain at Petco.com. I'm sure they carry it in store, too.

My cats used to like Blue flaked chicken, but they've done something to it and the last time I bought it, the cats wouldn't touch it. I got all my money back and won't buy it again.

I love the name Two Fifty, and the story behind it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-29-2011   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Funny you mentioned one of your cats loved the blue flaked chicken, my little guy loved the (indoor spa select) canned food, all of a sudden he was turned off....hummmm? I have about twenty BB's assorted cans in the cupboard I'll return them next week and look for Merrick Before Grain. I'd go sooner but we live out in the woods, far from city folks. Will wait for the hubby so we can make a day of it...

Again, thanks for the information. Glad you like the story behind Two-Fifty's name...

Last edited by Marionana; 04-30-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Unread 05-17-2012   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

diycatstuff is on a distinguished road
Default 3 cats = 3 different diets

We have three cats and they eat mostly dry food. They get a morning and an evening feeding.
Every few days I put out wet (can) food for the evening feeding.
Cat #1 licks it but won't eat it. Then he'll wait for the dry food to show up to really eat (a couple of hours later).
Cat #2 eats some of the wet food. He'll chow down again when the dry food shows up. But this guy eats anything, anyway.
Cat #3 loves the wet food. He'll eat his bowlful, wait for the other cats to leave the area, and then eat theirs. He won't be around when the dry food comes out later (although he'll eat the dry food normally).

All they need after that is a good back scratch.

diycatstuff. com

Tags
canned food , cat , cat food , cats , cool , crazy , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fish , food , found , hey , home , indoor , kitten , kitty , love , loving , mat , money , night , petsmart , problem , problems , scratch , smart , smell , story , suggestions , turkey , water , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links