It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-03-2011   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Tired
Dally is on a distinguished road
Default overweight or obese?

not sure of exact weight, as really weight would say nothing... but i know jessie is big... shes shaved nearly bald (hair is 1 cm) on her body as she has too much trouble grooming her back end and gets mats and hates the brush(i get bit and scratched if she sees it)... but she loves the shaver and its the least stressful option and she loves it. she always feels so much better after...

my point is, is she ovewrweight or obese? she became like this after being fixed... but thats because she spent more time eating than she did before. ive limited the food as best as i can with 4 cats (gotta make sure everyone eats so no one gets skinny) and shes dropped a bit of weight.

note, her belly hair is a tad longer... VERY bad shaving but she didnt want to sit still last time and i didnt want to risk cutting her so i just left it patchy and silly looking... but she felt better all the same and it was meant to help her out with her mats.

each bowl gets a measured 1/2 cup of food two times a day ONLY if the bowls are empty.. (i have 4 cats, all but jessie are normal weight)

when should i reduce it a bit next and to how much? if i should.

they all (before we got destiny) got 3/4 of a cup before i reduced it a little bit.

and cat treats are once every 2 weeks... or as a way to do a head count (they all come running for treats... literally. running.)
Gylfie--Patched marble tabby longhair (feral)
Destiny--Silver mackeral tabby Longhair (stray)
sorry in advance for odd typos--Gylfie runs across the keyboard

Last edited by Dally; 05-03-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-03-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Jessie looks like a big cat! I can't tell from those pictures if she is overweight or not, but she is beautiful.

Feeding measured meals on a schedule is the only way to control portion size. Canned food is better for cats, especially cats who need to reduce.

If you are feeding dry, feed the highest quality you can afford. Most dry foods are full of fillers and carbohydrates that cats don't need and that make them fat. Because the kibble doesn't have a lot of nutrition the cats eat more of it, and they become overweight.

Reducing a cat's weight can be dangerous if done too quickly. A cat should never lose more than 1/2 a pound in one month, and better to make it 1/4 a pound a month.

Here are some ways to evaluate: Can you feel Jessie's ribs when you pet her, or do you have to press hard and feel around to find them, or can you not feel them at all?

When you look at her from above (Jessie standing) can you see an indentation between stomach and hips, or does she look sort of ..blimpish....(hehe)?

Is she able to get up and move around easily? How old is she? It is smart of you to worry about her weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-03-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-03-2011   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

shes 6 years old but aging early due to her genetics (vet confirmed, because shes partially albino) so in reality her body is more closer to 10 years old. so are her habits.

i'll get a photo of her from above for her.

she hasnt dropped weight fast, i know that something small like 1/2 a pound may seem much. ive been reducing her diet very slowly since my post "diet dilema" and shes lost a LITTLE bit of weight. she maybe lost in that time maybe one pound, and that was like 3-4 months ago i posted that.

shes on classy cats, its a high quality dry food formulated to help with her urinary tract disease and maintain it. also its got no by products or any other fillers, no preservatives, no dyes, and i'll check what else the bag says.

jess is also very prone to hair balls... which she usually gets once a week. shes somewhat active, when she wants to be. she may run around with the other cats once in a while and she plays with the catIt ball circuit thing we have for them. but because she is aging faster than normal, shes getting a bit stiff in the legs when she wakes up, she sleeps 80% of the day, has some minor digestion problems (more hairball issues), and is really mellow and laid back compared to how she once was (this was a cat who used to hide when company was around, but now still sleeps in her corner regardless).

she has trouble grooming her back end (legs, thighs, lower back, butt) because shes fat. i CAN feel her ribs, though not like i used to be able to. shes got a padding of fat over them. same with her chest, but i can still feel them a bit.

from what i can see about her "blimp-look" i looked last night, i can still make out where the ribs end and meet the belly and where the hips start... but my judgement may not be that good, and thats why im asking advice on it. she used to be skinny
Unread 05-03-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

ok got photos

and compared to the other cats with full coats (shes shaved in these photos, she looks like a bulldozer when shes got her big shaggy coat lol)
Unread 05-03-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You know, she does just look like a big cat. She may be a little on the heavy side, but if you can get her to be more active, and add some canned food to her diet, she may reduce a little over the next year or so.

What does the vet think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-04-2011   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

vet has never said anything on her weight... but thats why i brought it up here. well its good to know shes not obese... just a tad overweight. will add more wet food to the diet for her thanks so much!
Unread 05-04-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Jessie looks a similar shape to my Pixie, she has always been barrel shaped since we got her at 12 weeks. I worried that she was overweight but the vet has never expressed any worries and she has just turned 4. I think sometimes it's just genetic so don't concern yourself too much as long as she doesn't overeat and is active enough

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to supersmithy For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice , albino , belly , canned food , cat , cat's , cats , cut , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fast , fixed , food , grooming , hair balls , lost , night , nutrition , overweight , pet , pictures , problems , silly , small , smart , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links