It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2011   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Tired
Dally is on a distinguished road
Default weird sores on lip?

i noticed a week ago that destiny had a little sore on her lip that looked like she got clawed by one of the others playing. but then today i noticed more of them and the biggest one is on her bottom lip. theyre pink coloured on her normally black lips...

we want some advice, though my fiance wants to wait 2 weeks to see if theres any change or if the others get it before we bring her to the vet as it doesnt seem to be hurting her or bothering her. they just randomly popped up. can cats get cold sores? canker sores? i know about rodent ulcer, my aunts cat lucky got it and it was gross.

these sore things are a bit swollen, they look like a mosquito bite to be honest, but we're indoors and theres no skeeters out yet.

i got photos, camera is dead and we lost charger... so these are from my cell phone

Gylfie--Patched marble tabby longhair (feral)
Destiny--Silver mackeral tabby Longhair (stray)
sorry in advance for odd typos--Gylfie runs across the keyboard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-05-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

My 50 year old eyes can't see anything on those pictures, so I'll have to wait until you can post better ones.

For me, I don't believe in "wait and see" with my cats' health. If something is wrong, I take the cat to the vet. Waiting can end up costing way more, because thing tend not to get better without treatment, and if they get worse, it takes longer and costs more to fix.

But it's not really about money, with me. I just don't like my cats to be in any discomfort. I know you said Destiny doesn't seem to be, but keep in mind that cats are the masters of hiding pain and illness. It's instinctive with them, they do NOT show pain until they are in agony and can no longer hide it.

And I need peace of mind. I don't cope well with worrying about my cats. If something is wrong I need to know what it is and what to do about it soonest.

So I think you should take Destiny to the vet now. It may be insect bites, but bites can hurt and some are poisonous. It may be something contagious, and if it is, don't you want to know about it BEFORE the other cats start showing symptoms?

Keep us posted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-05-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-05-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

PS having said all that ....do you use plastic dishes or water bowls? It may be something as simple as an allergy. If you use plastic, switch them all out to glass or ceramic (made in USA only for those two because of lead) or stainless steel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-05-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

all ceramic and one stainless steel water dish (2 water dishes, one is ceramic the other stainless) and 4 ceramic cat dishes. already aware of not using them as daystar gets feline acne.

looking up rodent ulcers... it truly sounds to be what it is. not painful or irritating.

she has a history of flea allergies and i think our neighbour next door (we live in an appartment) has them as i keep finding them on the odd cat once in awhile when theyve been clear of them for a year... then we got destiny who had a few and had the classic hair loss on her back end and scabby sores. treated them all with advantage last month and it cleared up. they were due for advantage this month anyways so they got treated again. ive been getting bit... our neighbour has a cat and a chihuahua... and we didnt have fleas until we moved here. but its like the odd one. but the odd one eats me and destiny alive!

and if caused by fleas, it should go away. if it doesnt after this, then it might be something else.

the water bowls are cleaned daily and sometimes more if they drop food in it during the day.

my fiance is set on bringing her in 2 weeks if no improvement. hes one of them wait and see regardless of my worries. cant do much about that as he has the money. i dont have enough on my card as i havent made enough last month as my hours were cut for a bit. so he has final say but he will bring her in eventually with a bit of nagging and other issues..

Last edited by Dally; 05-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Unread 05-05-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

You know how some adult cats do the pretend nursing? Could it be something like that? I had a foster cat once that would get sores on her mouth from nursing on stuff. I don't know if it was an allergy or just the constant sucking that did it.
Unread 05-05-2011   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

i havent noticed any nursing behaviours.

but i have noticed since we've gotten her that shes had cat acne a bit. its also a possibility. my fiance's mom's neighbours who were feeding her may have used plastic dishes (most people arent aware of the issues with those)

i will ask them if they did.
Unread 05-10-2011   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

ok whatever it was is going away with washing her jaw with salt water, which makes me think its cat acne related. she was on plastic dishes when she was on the streets and my fiance's neighbours were feeding her... and she was on whiskas and its just garbage food. so we started wiping it down with a salt water solution like we did when daystar got her cat acne and now she only has one sore, the others have healed.

new photo, only sore is the one near her cheek. the others are gone. its the pink splotch. the old ones were on the tip of her bottom lip (still slightly pink, but its not a sore anymore and its turning normal colour again) and one on the top, which is hardly visible anymore. so we're going to keep up with the salt water wash
The Following User Says Thank You to Dally For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice , age , allergies , allergy , art , bite , bites , black , camera , cat , cats , classic , cold , cut , eyes , fleas , hair loss , health , hey , hiding , hurt , loss , lost , lucky , money , photos , pictures , playing , vet , water , weird

Sponsored Cat Links