It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ccollins08 is on a distinguished road
Default Toxoplasmosis causing seizures in my cat HELP!!!!!!!

Two weeks ago our beloved Zazu went missing. For two nights we waited heartbroken for him to come back. I then went to a swampy/field two miles away from my house because I knew he was not in the woods. Low and behold after twenty minutes of searching he came out of where ever he had been hiding. He was so happy to see me. I was crying because I could not believe I found him. He was very dehydrated and hungry..fur coat in good condition. I brought him back to the house gave him food and water, and about five minutes after he had a seizure on my kitchen floor. I had never experienced this before, so Immediately scooped him up got in the cat and went to the emergency animal hospital. There they told me he was very dehydrated and he had a fever of 105. They were concerned of why he had a seizure. He spent the night in the animal hospital had a great night and right before we were going to bring him home he had another seizure. We brought him to our vet, who ran tests on him. He came back positive for lyme immediately. His liver and Kidneys were healthy. Did an xray on him everything was good. The toxo test takes a few days. Zazu stayed at the vet. As the days progressed his behavior became more erratic and violent. We got a call to come down and see him, and they believe he had rabies...foaming at the mouth very aggressive. (very heartbreaking to hear, as I had just found out an hour before hand my Grandmother had died unexpecently) His rabies shot was just up, so it was possible that he had it, and if you saw him you wouldn't think otherwise. We had to get the board of health involved, because we put ourselves at risk by handling him. (I am 8 months pregnant) Very hard decision on whether to put him to sleep, and find out since there is only a certain amount of time that the rabies vaccine can help. We decided not to put him down and wait one more day and see what the Toxoplasmosis test came back. To our relief the test came back very high, so they started giving him orally Clindamycin. He threw up the Clindamycin, which I guess some cats have that reaction. We started injecting him with Clindamycin. his symtoms improved by a lot. He was not aggressive anymore, back to his old self except he was still having seizures. My husband and I were comfortable enough with bringing home, and transporting him to the vet to get medicene. His is still having these seizures. They last between 20-30 seconds, and he sometimes pees. Has around 10 of them a day. It is just heartbreaking to watch. We switched his medicene yesderday to Albon, since there is no more injectable Clindamycin. We give him that orally and he is able to take it down. Has anyone else ever dealth with toxoplasmosis before in their cat? Did it cause seizures. We are thinking of putting him on anti-seizure medication, but the vet wants to wait the two weeks till he is one with his anti-biotics. In anyone has any feedback please let us know. This is just heartbreaking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-29-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

10 seizures a day for the next two weeks could cause permanent damage to your cat. My advice is to find another vet, and right away.

I would be insisting that my cat be put on phenobarbital, which should begin controlling the seizures very quickly. Once the course of treatment for the disease is finished, you can VERY SLOWLY wean him off the phenobarbital.

Take him to another vet. I'm really sorry you and your kitty are going through this.

I'm sorry for your loss of your grandmother. What a lot you have to cope with as you near the end of your pregnancy. Praying for you and your kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-29-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-29-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

ccollins08 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Gail, I will call my vet tomorrow and demand it... These last few weeks have been the worst of my life...and I hate watching my poor baby go through this

Tags
advice , aggressive , animal , baby , behavior , cat , cat help , cats , crying , feedback , fever , food , found , fur , great , happy , healthy , hey , hiding , home , house , kitty , missing , pregnant , rabies , sleep , vaccine , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links