It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-15-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Amused
DakotaPeddle is on a distinguished road
Question Food, food and more food

Hi! It'd be great if anyone out there could help me solve this, my kitten who is 6 months old constantly eats, will search for food, eat anything. Yet he doesn't put on any weight. It's starting to cost a lot to feed, surely this isn't normal? Today I fed my other kitten and Styre; the one with a food problem comes barging in and eats all Olivers food. He gets very moody if not fed. Any suggestions on what could be causing this constant food craving?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-15-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Most likely parasites (worms) Both kittens will have to be de-wormed. Please do NOT buy over the counter worming medicines, they don't work and can make your kittens very sick, or even kill them.

Take the hungry one to the vet. The vet will examine him and give you enough broad spectrum de-wormer for both kittens.

If they are not neutered, once they are de-wormed you should have that done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-15-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

They have been wormed since birth so I'm quite sure it couldn't be that, are there any other possibilities? I know the vet would be best but it costs so much and we are a bit short on money. I'll get them neutered as soon as I have the money, NZ vet bills are crazy!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
Unread 05-16-2012   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

When you adopt animals, the responsibility to see to their medical care comes with it.

This includes neutering and taking them to the vet when they are sick. If you can't afford to take proper care of them find them a home where they will be taken care of, now, when they are young and adaptable. When they are older it will be harder for them to adjust to a new home.

No one can diagnose your kitten over the internet. Please take him to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-16-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Unread 05-17-2012   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

We can afford it just not the vet bill at this moment because of other things. They're very well looked after and there is no way I would give them away, they are taken care of quite fine here. Not being able to afford to pay the neutering bill as soon as they're old enough doesn't make us incapable.
Unread 05-17-2012   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

So "other things" are more important than a kitten that appears to be starving to death? This is not right. Health care should be a priority, not when you decide it is important.

Of course, going by your other thread you were obviously raised to not understand the responsibilities involved with having pets, I realize that now. But if you are an adult now with your own home, you can break the pattern. Please, break the pattern. You can do better for your kittens than your family has done with their cats.

You can start by taking that boy who is eating too much and remains too thin to the vet.

Feed them both a high quality canned food diet, no fish. This will enable them to stay healthy and avoid a lot of expensive vet bills. Male cats especially are prone to urinary tract problems if fed a dry diet.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-17-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Unread 05-18-2012   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Look, stop living in your head and take note of reality. No the cat is not starving to death, far from it! As if I'd let that happen, where did you even get that from, he's quite fine, eats plenty. More than enough. He is not too thin, he simply doesn't put on weight, he remains a healthy weight yet gains no more.
Unread 05-18-2012   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I guess I've misunderstood something then. It seemed to me you had a problem with your cat eating excessively but not gaining any weight. To me, it sounds like a health issue, and health issues should be taken up with the vet.

please read this first

Tags
adult , bills , birth , boy , care , cat , cats , crazy , diet , eating , family , food , great , health , healthy , hey , home , internet , kitten , kittens , medical , money , neutering , new home , problem , problems , search , sick , stop , suggestions , vet , vet bills , weight

Sponsored Cat Links