It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

CatontheRoof is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! watery eyes and sneezing. Conjuctivitis due to Feline Herpes?

Hello all!

I'm asking for my advice as my Lazuli (she's an applehead bluepoint siamese) has been suffering from watery eyes for some months already, and she sneezes. The problem started due to the fact she suffered a lot of stress when I got sick of the kidneys last year. I even had to send her to live temporally to a friend that is veterinarian, even though she's not speciallized in cats.

I would like to know if anyone's cat has had a problem similar to this due to stress? I've heard there's an aminoacid that could for her to stop having this problem.

Any help would be appreciated?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-20-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yes, stress can bring out the herpes virus. Once it starts, there is no cure for it but your cat can take L-lysine to help control the flare-ups. However you really should bring her to the vet first she may need antibiotics.

Antibiotics will not help herpes, because herpes is a viral infection. However, the herpes flare up often goes into secondary bacterial infection, so the antibiotics will be needed.

Once she is started on the L-lysine, her flare ups will lessen and eventually even when she has a flare-up she will probably not get a secondary bacterial infection.

I recommend using the pure powder form of l-lysine. It has no taste but salt, and you simply add 1/4 of a teaspoon (tiny amount) to the cat's food daily for the therapeutic dose of 500 mg a day.

But do get her to the vet first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-20-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

CatontheRoof is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your advise

Well I don't know if I should take her to another veterinarian. Both Lazuli and Niko (her son) had been living with the veterinarian for about 4 months. When the vet came her some days ago, she told me that the problem of Lazuli wasnt very serious, and that she thinks its caused by stress.

She told me she doesnt need any antibiotic, and judging from how she has eaten in these days and such I would say that she is fine. Just gets the watery eye sometimes

Could you tell me if the feline herpes is a very serious condition? how often can she get flare ups?
Unread 05-20-2012   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Cats can lose their eyes to herpes if it is not controlled. My Tolly almost did. I suggest you get your kitty on l-lysine and keep her on it for her entire life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , antibiotic , antibiotics , cat , cat's , cats , conjuctivits , eye , eyes , food , infection , kitty , problem , siamese , sick , stop , stress , vet , watery

Sponsored Cat Links