It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-31-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

cat182 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat stumbles around - Has balance issues

The problem:
One of our cats is stumbling around like he’s had too many cocktails. It’s like he’s drunk and wobbles around when he walks. Serious balance issues. It started ~1 month ago.
We took him to the vet today and the physical exam didn’t generate much. We are doing blood work and waiting for the results.

Has anyone else had a stumbling cat?
If so, what were the issues and how did you solve them?

Nothing in the cats’ environment has changed. They have lived in the same house with the same occupants for over 4 years.
Food diet has not changed.
Litter and litter box have not changed.
There is no change in food or water consumption.
Body weight has remained consistent. (No weight loss).

Additional info (stats):
Original owner of 2 male cats, bought at the local Humane Society in 1999.
Brothers from the same litter.
Mixed breed. Domestic Short hair.
They are fixed.
Indoor only.
They are ~13 years old.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-03-2012   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

UPDATE!!
Well, the blood work came back. Nothing obvious in the results though.
He's not diabetic.
Liver, Kidney... all organs seem fine.
What was abnormal was his white blood cell content was a bit high, but this could be caused by stress (which is nothing new since this cat is scared of everything and typically hides when people visit our house). However, the level of abnormality was nothing out of control. Also, it seems he is slightly Anemic, but again, nothing out of control.
Viral tests were negative, so that is good.
The next course of action is to put him on some antibiotics in case there is an inner ear infection. He's now on 25mg of Clindamycin for the next 10 days. Hopefully, this solves the problem.
There is some discussion of steroids if the Antibiotics fail.
Someone on a different cat forum mentioned the possibility of FIP, but the Vet thinks it would be rare since that is reserved typically for outdoor cats and our cat is 100% indoor.
Another option is to do a Blood pressure test, since this is fairly inexpensive.
The expensive options are ultrasounds as well as imaging his brain, but honestly, that's way too expensive for my budget, not to mention he's 13 years old and has had a great life.
In the meantime, he's still wobbly and hopefully the meds will kick in soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-04-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

ilovefatboy is on a distinguished road

i've not experienced this with any of our cats ever. i hope you get to the bottom of the illness fast!
you have another post concerning your other senior cat and acerlt provided a very thorough reply. maybe what she said there can also apply to this other cat of yours.
Unread 09-05-2012   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

I thought about family medical history. It's a good chance these brothers came from a litter of a stray cat. So, I called the Humane Society and asked about pulling the records from 1999. I asked for the information on their parents as well as getting info on the owners of their siblings. They laughed. I laughed. lol
Too bad they don't have genealogy.com for cats.

So, we are roughly 4 days into the meds. No immediate sign of improvement.
Still wobbly.
Wish I could post a video of what he looks like when he wobbles.
Unread 09-06-2012   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Is he only wobbly walking? Can he jump up on things, does he run any, can he turn quickly? Does he seem to be able to see and/or hear ok?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 09-06-2012   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I'll have to post a video someday.
When he walks straight, he seems to do ok. When you call his name, he pauses, stops and turns to look back. He wobbles. That's probably when you see the most visible signs of balance issues.
He also tends to step forward a bit funny. It's almost like he's stepping in water as he walks and each paw comes up straight rather than a smooth forward motion walk.
He can jump up ok. He no longer jumps on the toilet to get access to the window above it, since he's tumbled off too many times. He's probably lost confidence for the window above the toilet. He does fine with jumping up on our bed, which is quite high. He doesn't run much anymore, probably due to age.

His vision and hearing seem fine. Not so sure how to thoroughly test for vision and hearing though.
Unread 09-06-2012   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Moving things in front of his face, to see if he reacts. When he's walking put something in front of him, not to try and trip him, just see if he sees it. Call to him softly, does he hear you? Vision and hearing issues can cause balance problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 09-07-2012   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Can cats get Parkinson's Disease?

I'm observing him in the window ledge right now and his body occasionally jerks. He mimics the movement of a human with Parkinson's.
Weird.

It's hard to tell if the meds are having any affect. They certainly seem to make his stools NOT smell. lol
Unread 09-11-2012   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

The meds have been consumed and there is no sign of improvement.

Someone earlier recommended doing a blood pressure test.
Can someone explain what a blood pressure test would indicate and why it is necessary?

Thanks!
Unread 09-12-2012   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

High blood pressure can cause a lot of problems including blindness and stroke. If he has had a stroke, this could be his problem.

My other thought is that he has a tumor in his brain affecting his balance. I'm sorry, I know that thought must hurt, but it does sound like a possibility, considering his symptoms, the anemia and the elevated blood count. Since you can't afford an MRI, the best thing to do is to keep him as comfortable as possible until his quality of life is affected. When he is no longer enjoying his life, there is euthanasia to save him from suffering.

Steroids may help, if there is a tumor. Steroids reduce inflammation, so that may give you more time with him.

please read this first

Tags
age , box , breed , cat , cats , changed , diabetic , diet , ear infection , environment , fast , fip , fixed , hey , house , hurt , indoor , litter box , loss , male , medical , moving , outdoor , problem , problems , scared , senior , senior cat , siblings , steroids , test , vet , video , water , weight , window

Sponsored Cat Links