It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-02-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

vitabread is on a distinguished road
Default Won't eat, cries when tummy pet, tan soft stool, please advise!

Yesterday morning (Monday 10/1) I started noticing my 2 year old kitty Itis hiding and avoiding me (very unusual, he always comes in bed with me when I wake up). The behavior continued through the day and evening. Around 10 PM he had his first bowel movement on the bathroom floor and it was tan/beige in color and pretty soft/loose. It also had a very foul odor. He seemed better afterwards and got up and walked around.
He cries when you pet his abdomen, his belly looks and feels rounder than usual, and I noticed he seems a little off balance when he walks on tries to jump up some place.
He is drinking water but has not eaten since Sunday night.

Some things to note:
- Sunday night he had 9 Lives Chicken and Tuna dinner wet food, about half a can. This was the first time he ever had this food.
- We just moved. First night in the house was Saturday. He seemed in good spirits, eating, purring and jumping around like usual.
- Sunday morning we brought our other cat over, Binker. They were getting along fine, though Binker was hiding under the bed most of the day/night. He did NOT eat any of the 9 Lives food.

Any ideas of what might be causing this? I don't know if it's normal tummy ache behavior and if it will just pass, or if I should be concerned and take him to the vet. If he does not improve tonight I will take him in the morning tomorrow.

If your cat ever had similar symptoms please share! Thank you SO MUCH~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-04-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It could be the food, but if there is no improvement today I would take him to the vet right away. If I'd seen your post yesterday I would have advised you to take him right away, then. Hope he's okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-04-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you! It ended up being a urinary blockage, we took him right away to the vet that same day I posted when we got home from work.
I guess that the nausea (no appetite) and the diarrhea where a reaction from the high levels of potassium and pH. The bloating was from the bladder swelling. I guess it was very serious, if we had not taken him his bladder would have burst and he would have died.
Now he is at the vet's until Friday, they have to keep the cath in him until all the bloody urine is drained. So horrible.
They said the main cause from this was dry food. From now he will have to be on a wet food only diet with no grains/wheat/soy/corn and especially red meat for the taurine (no chicken/fish). I have another cat which immediately switched off the dry food to the all natural wet food. Wish I would have known what I know now sooner...
Unread 10-05-2012   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitabread View Post
Thank you! It ended up being a urinary blockage, we took him right away to the vet that same day I posted when we got home from work.
I guess that the nausea (no appetite) and the diarrhea where a reaction from the high levels of potassium and pH. The bloating was from the bladder swelling. I guess it was very serious, if we had not taken him his bladder would have burst and he would have died.
Now he is at the vet's until Friday, they have to keep the cath in him until all the bloody urine is drained. So horrible.
They said the main cause from this was dry food. From now he will have to be on a wet food only diet with no grains/wheat/soy/corn and especially red meat for the taurine (no chicken/fish). I have another cat which immediately switched off the dry food to the all natural wet food. Wish I would have known what I know now sooner...
So glad you got him to the vet in time! And I am THRILLED to hear that your vet understands the importance of canned food instead of trying to push some "prescription" kibble crap on you.

Yes, cats need to be on a canned diet.

you can read a lot more about this here:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-05-2012   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Wow, thank you for that link! Yes, I didn't realize how important being thoroughly hydrated is for cats. My vet also suggested even adding a little water to the wet food just to be sure. I also ordered a running water filtered drinking fountain since I know my Itis loves to drink from the tap so hopefully the moving water will encourage him to drink more!

I am a first time cat owner so I am hoping that from now on I will be a much better cat parent.

Tags
another cat , behavior , belly , bladder , bowel , cat , cats , color , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , eating , fish , food , hey , hiding , home , house , jumping , kitty , litter , litter box , morning , moving , natural , nausea , night , nutrition , pet , urine , vet , wake , water , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links