It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

bingo296 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat vomiting despite anti-emetic

To make a long story short, my cat was recently found to be "pre-hyperthyroid," but since she has all the symptoms of full blown hyperthyroidism, she is being medicated for it. She was also found to have an elevated white blood cell count, so while no one knows what exactly is infected, she was given a broad-range antibiotic for said infection. She had her tests done Monday and I started her on her antibiotics that night, the thyroid meds the following day (not pills - it's applied through the ear). While I do see small improvements in her behavior (like a slightly restored interest in grooming and walking around a little), she's still throwing up what looks like white mucous and foam. The vet said this is from the thyroid problems and I took her back tonight (Wednesday) to get an anti-emetic shot and was told to try feeding my cat about 2 hours later. Well I did - she had a few nibbles of some wet food and proceeded to throw it back up a minute later. So much for the anti-emetic. Tomorrow I start her on Cerenia and if that doesn't work, I need to call the vet again. I'm getting concerned that she will get sick just because she's not able to keep any food down. She obviously wants to eat, but what do you do when not even anti-vomiting medication can stop the vomiting? Am I feeding her something bad? She's been getting a teaspoon of Meow Mix now and then. Should I try mixing it with water? I've been told to wait about 12 hours after she vomits to try feeding her again, and since she vomits every time she eats, she's basically had no actual food intake for going on 3 days. Thankfully she is still drinking water, but how do I help her keep what little food she eats in her stomach? She somehow managed to keep wet food down at the vet's office and even had a note in her file that she "ate well" after her tests were done. So I must be doing something wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-27-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

My very first thought reading this is what are you feeding her? (I know you mentioned meow mix, but I understood that to be just a..supplemental offering?) Is she vomiting or regurgitating?

Regurgitation is when they food comes right back up immediately after eating. Vomiting is different.

What did they feed her at the vet?

It will take time for her thyroid levels to return to normal, with the medication.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
antibiotic , antibiotics , behavior , cat , eating , food , found , grooming , hey , hyper , infection , meow , night , pills , problems , sick , small , stop , story , vet , vomiting , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links