It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
BlackWolf65 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Vomiting

I have a question about our 3 year old Pete, and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Ever since we first got him, at about 3 months of age, Pete has had an issue with vomiting. He's been to the vet on numerous occasions trying to get to the source of the problem, but to no avail. There is, according to the vet, nothing physically wrong with him that would cause this. She told us that it could be a problem with hairballs, so we began a strict regimen to address that, but he continues to vomit. He has not lost weight, and shows no other signs of illness.

This is not a daily occurrence. Over time, we've noticed that it almost always occurs very soon after he eats - and we noticed that he tends to eat very quickly. On a hunch, we decided to start leaving kibble out all the time, and the problem seems to clear up - unless the kibble bowl goes empty. Then, when it's refilled, he gorges again, and vomits. As long as there is food in the bowl, he eats at a "normal" pace.

We spoke to the vet about this. She said that while leaving kibble out 24/7 is not an ideal solution, if that's what it takes, then by all means we should go ahead with it and just closely monitor his weight.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? If so, how did you address it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-18-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Your cat is regurgitating, not vomiting. What you need to do is get him off kibble entirely.

Feed a good quality canned diet on scheduled mealtimes. If he inhales his food, feed smaller portions more often.

Kibble is just not good for cats. Read the ingredients on the bag. Is there any meat in it? Cats are obligate carnivores, this means they are designed by nature to eat meat, and to get moisture from their food.

They derive very little nutrition from grains, which is what most dry foods are made from.

Cats eating nothing but kibble are at very high risk for urinary tract infection (which can turn fatal in males), diabetes, kidney disease, obesity, to name just a few things. They live in a chronic state of dehydration, because a cat cannot ever drink enough water to make up for a dry diet.

So get your cat on a more species appropriate diet. You'll be amazed at the difference in a few months!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-13-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

momof3b1g is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf65 View Post
I have a question about our 3 year old Pete, and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Ever since we first got him, at about 3 months of age, Pete has had an issue with vomiting. He's been to the vet on numerous occasions trying to get to the source of the problem, but to no avail. There is, according to the vet, nothing physically wrong with him that would cause this. She told us that it could be a problem with hairballs, so we began a strict regimen to address that, but he continues to vomit. He has not lost weight, and shows no other signs of illness.

This is not a daily occurrence. Over time, we've noticed that it almost always occurs very soon after he eats - and we noticed that he tends to eat very quickly. On a hunch, we decided to start leaving kibble out all the time, and the problem seems to clear up - unless the kibble bowl goes empty. Then, when it's refilled, he gorges again, and vomits. As long as there is food in the bowl, he eats at a "normal" pace.

We spoke to the vet about this. She said that while leaving kibble out 24/7 is not an ideal solution, if that's what it takes, then by all means we should go ahead with it and just closely monitor his weight.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? If so, how did you address it?
I have a cat with this same issue. I havent found a slution. He will go days without vomiting. Then he will vomit a 2 or 3 times and be fine for awhile. I feed qulaity food and he still vomits. He throws up canned food and dry.
Unread 03-14-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Eliminate the dry food all together. Your cat may have a motility problem (caused by dry food). Feed a canned diet on scheduled meal times. Smaller meals more often is better. Make sure your cat is pooping normally.

Make sure kitty gets plenty of exercise. Use egg yolk lecithin two or three times a week for hairball control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-16-2014   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

jesslvs2grm is on a distinguished road

Hows your kitty. Take him back to the vet ,mabe needs blood work,or checked for worms.
Unread 05-12-2014   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Pepper's Mommy is on a distinguished road
Smile issue with vomitting

I've had the same problem with Pepper. She's 15 yrs., and has been on a diet of mainly dry food, and about 2 teaspoons of wet food for her dinner. She will not take anything more than that.
She vomits too, but not frequently. There has been times when she's been fine for like weeks, and then for no rhyme of reason, she'd vomit the food she's just taken, or she eats grass, and vomits that. The vet said there was no reason to worry, but to monitor her movements, and also to see if she's losing weight. So far, touch wood, she's okay....
So if your cat's otherwise okay, I'd not worry.
But see that he has a clean bowl of water by his food dish, and if you can, introduce some wet food, very gradually.
Hope this helps.
Unread 07-22-2014   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Zena is on a distinguished road
Question My Cat Vomits Also

Our female Calico, Sticky is 9 years old and also vomits. She is overweight and I have tried wet food and dry. She vomits with both. She of course does not lose any weight and is hungry all the time. I have even tried the raw diet but she does not like that at all! She will not play at all and is very sedate. I take her for a walk outdoors everyday. What can I do or use to help her lose weight and not vomit both? I give her stuff for hair balls. Thank-you for any advice.
Unread 07-22-2014   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

What do you mean when you say you have "tried" various foods? For how long? What is your feeding method? What has been her diet for most of her life?

Is this a new problem? Has she been to the vet for a blood work up? X ray to check for blockage?

Chronic vomiters can take a long time to heal, if ever, though you can usually get some improvement but it takes a long time, months, years.

What are her bowel movements like? What is she eating now?

Those hairball pastes are made from petroleum Petroleum was never meant to be ingested by any living thing. Stop using them. If you have bee giving them regularly for a long time you will have to wean her off them.

I have more questions, but will wait until you answer these, before I can help you.

please read this first
Unread 07-22-2014   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Zena is on a distinguished road

Well she had been on dry for about 5 years and then I started doing wet and dry each day. About 8 months ago I tried doing raw chicken and she liked it for a week and then she stopped eating it until I did the dry and wet again. I read so many things on the computer about what to do and what not to do that I get confused about what is best for her. She has always vomited ever since she was about 2 years old. It seems like she is worse now. She went three days without vomiting and last night we were in bed and she just ate dry and two minutes later she vomited quite a bit. Yes, I have been giving her the paste stuff for hairballs. Also the greenies treats for hairballs because once in awhile I see a little hair turd mixed in her vomit. I would love to know A good brand of cat food to give her and she does need to lose weight. She has always slept with us and is spoiled. She sleeps right on my shoulder. If she is hungry during the night, she will jump on me or my husband and tip over the garbage can. Whatever she can do to get fed. I hate to put her in another room as she loves to cuddle with me. I have 7 other cats and none of them are like this. Thanks for helping.
Unread 07-24-2014   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I haven't forgotten you and your cat's problem. Just busy and tired. I'll be back to help but in the meantime here's a good website to start with:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

please read this first

Tags
advice , age , art , bowel , car , cat , cats , clean , diabetes , diet , dry , dry food , eating , egg , fish , food , found , free , hey , infection , kitty , lost , nutrition , obesity , overweight , play , problem , question , raw , stop , vet , vomit , vomiting , water , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links