It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Purrfect is on a distinguished road
Default Transition from Wet- to Dry Food

Hello,

I have a nine week old tabby kitten. I put out wet food for him three-four times a day depending on his appetite and I always keep dry food out for him. He doesn't seem to care for the dry food at all though. I want to start transitioning him to dry food. I started mixing a little bit of dry food into the wet food that I put out. He eats some of the dry food but seems to eat around it to get to the wet food. Should this be a concern? I'm not too concerned yet since he is still pretty young, but are there any other ways to maybe start transitioning him from wet to dry?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-09-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The last thing you want is for your cat to eat a dry diet. Cats need moisture from their food. A canned food diet is so much better for him. My advice is pick up the dry and never give it to him again.

A dry diet can lead to many diseases. With males especially, the first thing to be concerned about is urinary tract disease. Male cats block very easily, and it is a terribly painful potentially fatal condition. Urinary tract disease is caused by a dry diet. Cats cannot drink enough water to counteract the dehydrating effects of dry food. In addition the high carbohydrates and inappropriate fillers (grain) and lack of meat create an alkaline urine, leading to the formation of struvite crystals.

Other diseases that a dry diet can lead to are diabetes (dry food is very high in carbohydrates), obesity, dental disease, and kidney disease (again, lack of moisture).

Cats are obligate carnivores and need, above all, meat and moisture in their diet. Not all canned foods are equal, some canned foods are high in carbohydrates too, but at least the moisture is there. Learning to read labels is your best defense against a high carb diet for your cat.

Look for identified meat as the first ingredients. Avoid things like grains and potatoes.

There is a vet named Dr Lisa Pierson who has devoted her life and career to helping educate people about why cats should not eat dry food.

her website is here:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Congratulations on your new little boy. Feeding him well, right from the start will help him live a long healthy life with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-20-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

XtanyaX is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just joined so pardon me for any mistakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
The last thing you want is for your cat to eat a dry diet. Cats need moisture from their food. A canned food diet is so much better for him. My advice is pick up the dry and never give it to him again.
I use dry (Prescription diet for skin - duck and pea) but mix it with AT LEAST 2 parts water then wait until the food is soft.

If I don't add water the cats regurgitate (the dry kibble); try to drink XS (by itself IMO due to cats' renal sensitivities that is really bad) or get constipated.

I have heard and read that moist food = dry food plus water.

They have no obvious problems on the aforementioned diet and I have the vet do XS examinations and lab tests.

Do you see any problems?

Thank you!
Unread 08-20-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

First I'd like to know, why are you feeding this diet to your cats?

I do not think that adding water to a dry food is a good idea, especially if you are leaving it to turn to mush first. Dry food is covered with bacteria, and when you add water to it, this greatly increases the rate of growth of that bacteria.

Cats, as obligate carnivores, do have the digestive enzymes to cope with bacteria in a diet, but those enzymes are meant to cope with bacteria on food that is digested quickly, meaning raw meat. Bacteria on raw meat doesn't have time to grow, inside kitty, as it is digested quickly.

Bacteria on dry food, on the other hand, has plenty of time to grow, because dry food takes a very long time to digest, because of all the things in it a cat cannot digest. It sits in the stomach absorbing all the water in the body, water meant to do other things, and the bacteria grows.

This may not make your cat sick in an obvious way, but I can guarantee your kitty has a stomach ache after eating that dry food, whether it has had water added to it or not.

Those "prescription" foods are very poor quality to begin with, and full of things that are not good for your cat. Have a look at the label of this food. What's in it?

If you are going to feed "prescription" diets, you should only feed the canned. But there are canned diets with novel proteins that are much better, and probably less expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 08-20-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Unread 08-20-2014   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Is it this one?

Ingredients

Ground Yellow Peas, Pea Protein Concentrate, Duck, Ground Green Peas, Pork Fat, Powdered Cellulose,[/B] Calcium Sulfate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Choline Chloride, DL -Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Glyceryl Monostearate, Iodized Salt, Potassium Sulfate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Dicalcium Phosphate, Cysteine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Natural Flavor.

d/d® Feline Skin Support Duck & Green Pea Formula - Dry

Peas are very irritating to the cat's digestive tract, and you can tell that most of the protein from this food is coming from peas, not MEAT, and cats are obligate carnivores, besides the irritation factor, they cannot digest or extract much nutrition from peas.

Cellulose is sawdust. Usually from "pine tree roots".

The canned is slightly better, at least the cat is getting more meat, and moisture, but it also contains cellulose, and just as bad, soy. Cats should never have soy.

And glucose? Glucose is SUGAR. What does a cat need with glucose?

Water, Duck, Duck Liver, Ground Green Pea, Powdered Cellulose, Soybean Oil, Pea Protein Concentrate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Glucose, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, L-Cysteine, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, Glycine, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Citrate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

the dry food is 32.7 % carbohydrate this is an astronomical number, considering cats should not have more than 10% of their diet from carbs, and lower is better.

Feeding your cats this food is almost a guarantee of diabetes in a few years time.

The canned food is 22.7% carbs, which is also very high.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 08-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Tags
addition , advice , art , box , car , care , cat , cat diet , cat food , cats , diabetes , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , healthy , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , nutrition , obesity , problems , raw , tabby , transition , urine , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links