It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

alltoosoon is on a distinguished road
Default cancer, prednisolone, and the end question

I have a cat with cancer that has been on 5mg prednisolone for 2 months straight. She lost her appetite almost two weeks ago to the point where she is only eating very tiny amounts of dry food(prefer her to eat raw or wet, but she will not anymore). I am syringe feeding her water. Started halving her doses and now for past 3 days been giving her 2.5 mg doses. Would like to know if I can skip a day now, only have 4-2.5 mg pills left and really she seemed so bad last week in my head I'm considering letting her go. Not sure if I should get more pred for her or if I should just let her go. She seems pretty good to me today which is very confusing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-09-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quality of life is everything. If the prednisone helps her and you don't think she's had enough and wants to leave yet, by all means get the prescription refilled.

You should know, in any case, that you can't just stop prednisone after a cat has been on it for a period of time. It has to be reduced gradually, and four days at half doses is not long enough.

But if the medicine helps her I would keep her on the full dose.

I lost a cat to an aggressive cancer, and the prednisone did not help him at all, sadly. I hope your little girl has some time left, but if she doesn't I know you will listen to her and let her go when she's had enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-09-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

alltoosoon is on a distinguished road
Default cancer, prednisolone, and the end question

Thank you for your reply. I know not to just stop the pred, guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes until Friday if she lasts that long. I reduced the pred starting Saturday in half 2 days ago and this morning, the third day at half a dose she ate more than she has in several days, which still isn't saying much. But she did want outside to check out whats going which she kind of stopped doing past several, just seemed so out of it and I just thought this is it better start making some plans. Now I'll have to see how she is after work. Won't get hopes up too high though. Someone just said to me "Cats are contrary creatures and sometimes it is tough to know when because they so like their contrariness."

Tags
aggressive , cat , cats , dry , dry food , eating , food , girl , hey , lost , morning , pills , question , raw , stop , water

Sponsored Cat Links