It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
2MENEEKATZ is on a distinguished road
Default Cat With Stroke

I have a cat with a stroke who has left side disability. She neither hears well nor sees well on the left. When she had the stroke, she was left side paralyzed as well. She is at least mobile, but for a balance issue.
My problem is that she doesn't seem to be getting/drinking her water. She will lick my finger when I dip it into her water dish. If I swish my finger in it, she sometimes tries to drink. I believe she can't see it, and her left side impairment makes it hard for her to lap up the water.
Can anyone offer any help? I worry she'll get dehydrated and have more medical problems.
Thanks for your time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-04-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Feed her a canned diet. Then you won't have to worry about drinking water, she will get all the moisture she needs from her diet (which is the way cats were designed anyway)

Sorry to hear about her stroke. Sounds like is is in good caring loving hands with you.

I had a little cat who suffered stroke, too. The first one she had temporary deafness but recovered fully. Her second, about 8 months later, left her with a very slight paralysis, all you really noticed was that her body curved in a slightly U shape when she walked.

The third, 6 months after that, was the end, for her.

Is your cat being treated for hyperthyroid or high blood pressure? Does she have kidney disease? How old is she?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 08-04-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-04-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
2MENEEKATZ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. The cat is around 16 years old. The vet checked her out and she was on meds when she came home with us. Other than the above problems she has no real voice now. Everything else seems fine with her health.
I just worry that canned food doesn't seem like enough water as she seems to be constantly licking her chops, as they say; and 'acts' thirsty. We do add some water with the canned food. Lately, though, she seems to shun wet food for he dry food she likes. If we take away the dry, very little canned is eaten. Thank you again for the reply; maybe I'm worrying needlessly.
Unread 08-05-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I don't think you are worrying needlessly. Hydration is extremely important.

Quote:
The vet checked her out and she was on meds when she came home with us. Other than the above problems she has no real voice now. Everything else seems fine with her health.
I don't know what you mean by this.

Did the vet do blood work? You need a full blood work up to know how she really is. Including the thyroid tests.

What medication was she on, is she still on it?

Licking her chops is usually an indication of nausea, not thirst. If she feels sick she won't want to eat.

Cats don't really feel thirst, that is why canned food is so important. Adding a little water to it is a good idea. Use warm water to make the food more appetizing and feed in only small amounts. Offer a teaspoon of food at a time. When she eats that, offer more, and so on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
canned food , cat , cats , diet , dry , dry food , food , health , hey , home , hyper , licking , medical , nausea , problem , problems , sick , small , vet , water , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links