It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-06-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Michał Obrębski is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Suddenly Vomiting and Refusing to Eat

Has your cat been vomiting and refusing food?

If your cat has suddenly begun throwing up, refusing to eat and if this situation continues for two-three hours, do not wait and take your cat to a good vet immediately.

Unfortunately, I am not a veterinarian. However, there is one thing I know for sure: At the age of eight months our Karol suddenly began bringing up his dry food gone yellow and stopped eating. Earlier he had had all preventive check-ups and vaccines. His excrement had been normal; he used to take almost exclusively Royal Canin dry food, and showed no symptoms of illness whatever.

Next morning we took him to the clinic where he had been cared for ever since he was a kitten. The doctor palpated and examined him, and decided to keep him for a day of observation.

Suddenly, around midday, Karol died.

Let me say it again: Earlier he had been a perfectly healthy cat, normal and happy. All the same, he went out like a blown-out candle, within a little more than a day.

If your cat has been vomiting for more than two hours, do not wait! Rush it to the doctor immediately. Good luck.

Michał Obrębski
michalDOTobrebskiATyahooDOTcom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-14-2014   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

laundrocat is on a distinguished road

michael, I'm so sorry to hear about Karol, my cat eat strings and ribbons sometimes, which causes him to vomit; most times it is just an hairball, but the plastic strings can be dangerous. We have been lucky, he passed one plastic ribbon, but one time I had to pull about a 2-foot Balloon ribbon from his throat... that would definitely make him sick if not kill him..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to laundrocat For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-14-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for the reply.
Karol's death remains a mystery, all the more because if I remember correctly, the autopsy ruled out a cause related to the digestive system.
The surprising and dangerous thing is the speed of our cat's demise; as I said the story was over in about 24 hours.
Just a day was the distance between Karol's happy life and death. Hence my comment in this forum.
All the best,
Michał Obrębski
Unread 11-14-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrocat View Post
michael, I'm so sorry to hear about Karol, my cat eat strings and ribbons sometimes, which causes him to vomit; most times it is just an hairball, but the plastic strings can be dangerous. We have been lucky, he passed one plastic ribbon, but one time I had to pull about a 2-foot Balloon ribbon from his throat... that would definitely make him sick if not kill him..
For pete's sake, stop leaving stuff around your cat can eat.

And never EVER EVER pull something out once he's eaten it. Not from the throat or the behind. My gosh you could have caused your cat serious agonizing pain and damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michał Obrębski View Post
Has your cat been vomiting and refusing food?

If your cat has suddenly begun throwing up, refusing to eat and if this situation continues for two-three hours, do not wait and take your cat to a good vet immediately.

Unfortunately, I am not a veterinarian. However, there is one thing I know for sure: At the age of eight months our Karol suddenly began bringing up his dry food gone yellow and stopped eating. Earlier he had had all preventive check-ups and vaccines. His excrement had been normal; he used to take almost exclusively Royal Canin dry food, and showed no symptoms of illness whatever.

Next morning we took him to the clinic where he had been cared for ever since he was a kitten. The doctor palpated and examined him, and decided to keep him for a day of observation.

Suddenly, around midday, Karol died.

Let me say it again: Earlier he had been a perfectly healthy cat, normal and happy. All the same, he went out like a blown-out candle, within a little more than a day.

If your cat has been vomiting for more than two hours, do not wait! Rush it to the doctor immediately. Good luck.

Michał Obrębski
michalDOTobrebskiATyahooDOTcom
I'm very sorry for your devastating loss. Did the vet do a necropsy to determine cause of death? Some cats have undetected heart problems, but with the vomiting...it sounds more like he got into some kind of poison. Did the vet do bloodwork at least (before Karol died?)

I'm so sorry you went through this.

A word of advice, with your next kitty, feed a good quality all canned diet, keep him or her inside, and keep all plants and chemicals out of reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-14-2014   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for the reply.
The necropsy didn't reveal much. My wife and I had a feeling the vet was puzzled herself, seeing our cat on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
The blood analysis is good advice; unfortunately with Karol dead, we gave it up and did not insist on pursuing the test. And that is one of the things I still regret.
Regards,
Michał Obrębski

Tags
advice , age , cat , cat's , cats , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , happy , healthy , kitten , kitty , loss , lucky , morning , problems , royal , sick , stop , story , test , vet , vomit , vomiting

Sponsored Cat Links